East London Line Extension

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Great News! According to Peter Boxell, Communications Manager of the East London Line Extension (ELLX) the new line is finally being given the go-ahead in the next few weeks and an announcement to this effect will shortly be made by Transport for London (TFL) saying that the line will be in place by 2010 - or at least the bit that matters to us running from Croydon in the south to Highbury and Islington in the north via Canada Water and Whitechapel.

This means an extra six "tube" trains per hour in each direction running from Sydenham Station.

There is a slight fly in the ointment however. Because of the extra traffic caused by the ELLX(and rearrangement of the Brighton line) the Startaegic Rail Authority (SRA) are planning to reduce the current through trains to London Bridge (currently 6 per hour through most of the day) to four trains per hour.

What do people think of this? We ARE being offered 10 trains per hour and an extra line in the future (instead of the current peak times of six). But we are losing two through trains per hour to London Bridge.

I am preparing a response to the SRA plan on behalf of the Sydenham Society.

Please let me know what you think.
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

Promising. But if the London Bridge trains are reduced - is there a chance this is made conditional on the trains being lengthened?

I've never worked out why we get so short trains in the evening. They are so overcrowded and there can be no shortage of stock at that time!

Paddy.
activist

Re: East London Line Extension

Post by activist »

I do not understand. 12 trains/hour (every 5 mins) is well within the capacity of the line betwen Sydenham and New Cross.

I can understand there may be congestion beyond Norwood junction but they can swing any excess traffic and terminate trains at the almost empty Crystal Palace station without disrupting the mainline.

Or am I missing something?
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

I think the points made by both of you are very valid. We'll add these to our submission.
transmit

ELLX

Post by transmit »

Well, I've noticed some line side work going on on the south bound section of the line from Forest Hill.Looks like rewiring or something.I hope this is the start of the ELLX work in same way.2 carridges at busy times to London Bridge is just silly.

Transmit
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

I don't think this rewiring is ELLX related. If you look at the notices on Sydenham Station - they apologise that we haven't got the new South Central carriage stock now sitting in the sidings because our line has the 'wrong sort' of power supply. The guys who order the new trains forgot to check!

So the power is being upgraded. Whether it will also cope with the ELLX trains or they will have to redo it again is a good question. Their 'track' record is none too good :roll:
stuart

Post by stuart »

Hi Nasaroc - any update on when the official announcement is coming?

I'd hate it if a glitch has got in the way at this crucial stage.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Probably a bit late, but my thoughts are...

One train every fifteen minutes isn't too much difference to one every 10 minutes in terms of convenience. What matters more is capacity - during peak times the London Bridge trains are often completely full.

If the ELLX will actually divert a lot of passengers from the overland trains on the the 'tube', this will be OK.

I imagine the new Shoreditch High Street Station will be convenient for people working on the North side of the City, and the line should also be convenient for people based in the Canary Wharf area.

Has it been calculated whether people will have a faster journey time connecting to the Jubilee Line via London Bridge or Canada Water?

If the ELLX provides a fast connection to the Jubilee Line and City, then hopefully the reduction in number of trains will not cause capacity problems. However, if not, people will still be trying to get to London Bridge and the trains could be even more overcrowded than currently.

However, as was pointed out above, consistantly using 8 carriage trains would clearly help too!
Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

Can Sydenham Station cope with increased customers? Can it cope with its current custom?

Sydenham is not a friendly station - try to catch an up train at 6.30 pm whilst those trying to get home from London have no intention of giving way to those who want to enjoy London's evening life through the narrow side gate, which is too small for those trying to get out of the station after the main building is closed. Is this accepted as safe by Network Rail?

Is the shortage of shelter acceptable on the up platform? Who has tried running for an up-train across the bridge only to find the short carriage train pulls up half-way down the platform?

Who enjoys standing on the up platform after dark? Is this station safe after dark? And does Station Approach make those leaving the station after dark feel safe? Has anyone carried out a survey?

Sydenham should welcome the East London Line extension BUT residents need to be consulted about their concerns about the current situation and about how this can be improved.
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

I remember reading about the new trains.

The power upgrade is because they bought new power hungry trains before checking there was enough current to supply them!! :)

The new trains are gathering dust at the depot till more current can be supplied. :(

Sydenham station doesn't work that well, the ticket machine doesn't accept two-pound coins, it is often out of order or its not accepting notes, they only seem to open the second ticket booth when its quiet and the exits can't cope with the amount of people wanting to use them. :x

that said the trains are frequent and stop there, unlike penge west (other end of lawie park road) where they aren't and don't! :(
Matt_G

Post by Matt_G »

Do we know if Sydenham would get a face lift if the ELLX happens? I guess there's no room for a 'tube' platform like in New Cross Gate but surely they'd do something.

I've got everything crossed that it does get built but as much as I want to believe it, I can't quite see us having a tube (sorry 'metro stye train service') within 5 years. Perhaps I'm too cynical.

Matt

PS I'd be happy to lose 2 trains an hour in return for 4 tubes.