Sydenham Community Radio launches on Monday

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
simon

Sydenham Community Radio launches on Monday

Post by simon »

I would like to inform the forum that Sydenham Community Radio will commence broadcasting online from Monday 29th June for 4 hours every night for two weeks. We will be covering the Arts Festival as well as bringing you local news and views.

This will be our first ever broadcast and many of the shows will be presented by local people who have been through the training programs we have been running over the last few months. Others will be brought to you be experienced broadcasters who just happen to live locally. The Arts Festival coverage will feature interviews with artists and performers as well as reviews and discussions of events.

We are viewing the broadcasts as a pilot ahead us broadcasting on air on the Am frequency for a month early next year. We then plan to cover next year’s Arts Festival on air and then apply for a full five year licence from OFCOM.

You can listen to the broadcasts at www.sydenhamradio.co.uk - Click onto the website, scroll down to “Sydenham Community Radio goes live” and click onto Listen Live. If you miss any of the shows you can access them from the following day via a “listen again feature”.

The project is very much a work in progress and we welcome any suggestions and stories that you would like us to feature. Feel free to contact us at info@sydenhamradio.co.uk

Simon Banks
Director
Sydenham Community Radio

CasaJarapa

Post by CasaJarapa »

Hi, that sounds great. Sadly, I'll be away for your debut, but would love to find out more and maybe get some radio training. Good luck!
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Hey all

I'm really excited about this and will be doing a blues and soul show next Tuesday from 7pm-9pm focusing on some ace local blues acts and talking to Tina from Sydenham Bleus club. More info will follow.

The project has some fine talent getting involved, I'm really excited about Jamilla from Wellbeing's show. We'll keep you all posted.

G-man
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Well, all the testing has been done, everything appears to be working and we've now done all we can to make sure everything happens as it should; if we've missed anything, it's too late now!

Hopefully, everyone involved will be taking a day off tomorrow, because it's the last one we get for a fortnight.

I also hope the other forum members will get behind this project and lend it the support that it needs to become beneficial to the whole community, in so many ways.

Taking this concept from an idea to reality has been a long and, at times, difficult process, made that little bit harder by the fact that many of the people involved have little, or no, experience of doing anything like this before.

I think we're all aware that we aren't going to be a 'Capital FM' or 'Radio 2' from the word go, but we would like to think it will be worth listening to and have the makings of a serious alternative to more mainstream radio stations.

Remember folks, this is local radio, by local people, which means it's your radio station; listen to it and contribute to it, so we can keep the promise that we made to ourselves right at the start; that we will endeavour to deliver the radio station that Sydenham wants.

Join us from 6 on Monday evening, it probably won't be perfect, but we hope it will be fun!!

Ian St James
Programme Controller
Sydenham Community Radio
simon

Post by simon »

Broadcasting live right now!

http://sydenhamradio.co.uk/listen/

Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Wicked...listening to it now. Love the music so far!!! Perfect for a hot summer's eve!

Ahhh Haaaa! Its gone all Alan Partridge. I'm lovin it! From now now on this is totally my favourite station... that dial ain't moving.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Just so you don't think Juwlz was your only listener I too enjoyed it, particularly the ska session and someone asking "which button do I press?".

I must ask, are Juwlz and me your target audience? And is it possible to stream details of the music playing?
simon

Post by simon »

Thanks Juwlz and Steve; your from Sydenham and you listened so, yes, you are our target market. And your not alone I hear!
Not sure about the streaming of song titles Steve, but all tracks are logged so playlists should not be problem.

Tomorrow night features Gareth Haries' Soul Show, which I'm looking forward to.

Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Steve Grindlay wrote:Just so you don't think Juwlz was your only listener I too enjoyed it, particularly the ska session and someone asking "which button do I press?".

I must ask, are Juwlz and me your target audience? And is it possible to stream details of the music playing?
I had no idea you were a Roots rocker Steve; if you don't mind me saying so, I have some difficulty imagining you skanking around the dimly lit, oak panelled library at Grindlay Towers, is this your guilty pleasure? :lol:

It's fair to say we had a slightly wobbly start, not helped by some muppet (*cough*) failing to make a vital mouse click, but we're off and running and, we like to think, there's more good things to come.

Don't forget folks, you can contact us at any time by emailing studio@sydenhamradio.co.uk, we would love to hear from you.
SParky2009

Post by SParky2009 »

Rebelmc wrote:
Steve Grindlay wrote: Don't forget folks, you can contact us at any time by emailing studio@sydenhamradio.co.uk, we would love to hear from you.
The website address is http://sydenhamradio.co.uk
Listen Live is http://sydenhamradio.co.uk/listen
Twitter is http://www.twitter.com/sydradio
Roxy641

Re: Sydenham Community Radio launches on Monday

Post by Roxy641 »

Thanks Simon,

I have listen to quite a few of the radio shows using the "Listen again" option. Enjoyed what I have heard so far.

Best show so far is Martin's one (the sci-fi show featuring music).

Well done to all who volunteer on the station. Hopefully you will be broadcasting for longer than the two weeks.

Roxy641
simon wrote:I would like to inform the forum that Sydenham Community Radio will commence broadcasting online from Monday 29th June for 4 hours every night for two weeks. We will be covering the Arts Festival as well as bringing you local news and views.

This will be our first ever broadcast and many of the shows will be presented by local people who have been through the training programs we have been running over the last few months. Others will be brought to you be experienced broadcasters who just happen to live locally. The Arts Festival coverage will feature interviews with artists and performers as well as reviews and discussions of events.
Simon Banks
Director
Sydenham Community Radio
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o10/ ... _copy1.jpg
simon

Post by simon »

Thanks Roxy
Last night of broadcasts tonight with special shows!
We've already had special guest Gale Burns reading his festival poem and a few surprises to come.
Stay tuned for news of further boradcasts.
Simon
Roxy641

Weekend broadcasts?

Post by Roxy641 »

Simon,

the current presenters (between 8PM-9PM Sunday night) mentioned something about the station broadcasting weekends ONLY. Will this be on the website?

Thanks.

Roxy641
simon wrote:Thanks Roxy
Last night of broadcasts tonight with special shows!
We've already had special guest Gale Burns reading his festival poem and a few surprises to come.
Stay tuned for news of further boradcasts.
Simon
simon

Post by simon »

Yes Roxy, I can officially confirm that we will be broadcasting on Saturday and Sunday nights, starting from next weekend, for the rest of the summer.
The plan is to then to add other nights, probably Thursdays or Fridays, in the Autumn.
In the longer term we hope to broadcast live on the Medium Wave for one month early in 2009. That is dependent on obtaining a license from OFCOM and funding for the station.
The ultimate aim is to broadcast live on air full time, but that is a long way off and dependent on many things, not least the government's plans for digital and community radio.

Thanks to everyone who has listened.

SimonImage