Peak Hill Avenue - Sydenham Strippers?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
NJSW

Peak Hill Avenue - Sydenham Strippers?

Post by NJSW »

Am hoping to move into the street - trying to buy a flat there - but am concerned about the nightclub at the back. Any more news on what's happening there? Or any comments from longer-term residents on what the noise level/nuisance value was like when the club is operating?

Any views gratefully received! Thanks
stuart

Post by stuart »

I presume you are referring to the former 'Twilights' & Regency Club on Cobbs Corner. That closed two years ago.

The problem with operating a nightclub there was parking (or the lack of it). The landlord was also unwilling give a lease long enough to justify investing in upgrading the club to standards so that it could compete with Croydon and elsewhere. It was rumoured that it may be converted to residential use.

Having said that - from time to time I have seen licensing applications for ad hoc events (have a look now on the side wall of the petrol station).

The Greyhound was also a problem with a noisy clientele but the new landlord seems to be sorting that out. No - I think your major problem will be all those tube trains arriving from around 2010 bringing in the gentrification mob with Chardonnay packed 4x4s ...
NJSW

Post by NJSW »

Thanks for that! I followed your tip and discovered something very unwelcome. The latest planning application notice posted by the garage (dated Sept) is for a change of use to operate as a 'glamour lounge' - opening some nights til 3 am and others til 5am. I contacted Lewisham council and discovered that this application was passed at their most recent meeting. As the nightclub license had been in operation for over 10 years, and there were no objections (actually, no one had come forward during the consultation at all which leads me to think that no one had noticed), the application went through. They now just need an alcohol license - which they may already have - to start up.
Sounds nice, huh?
stuart

Sydenham Strippers?

Post by stuart »

Was this a blue notice?

I ask - because I couldn't read the black on blue - otherwise I would have objected. There is an obligation by the applicant to display a notice in clear view from the road - which is usually a vivid yellow.

If they have not done this - then the application is invalid - and the decision would probably be rescinded or at least reconsidered. I know some readers here pass that way every day. Do we have any evidence that the notice was properly displayed.

Well done for your detective work so far!
NJSW

Post by NJSW »

Hello

No - it wasn't a yellow (or blue...) notice. According to the planning dept (application number 05/60178/X; case officer Claire Ryan 020 8314 9060), the application was for a 'certificate of lawfulness in respect of use as a nightclub'. As the site had been in use as a nightclub for 20 years (despite the recent gap), there is - apparently - no obligation to proactively consult with local residents. So it was up to people to find out and object.

Don't understand the planning regs myself. Think the only hope would be - if they haven't had their alcohol license granted yet - to object at that stage.
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

I don't get it - first we read a load of posts complaining about the lack of new (DECENT) drinking establishments in the area - now someone is opening a new venue you all want it to not happen - please explain to me the mentality of the people of sydenham !?
Ginge

Post by Ginge »

Here here, its about time Sydenham had a gentleman's establishment. Although looking around Sydenham I'm not sure where they will get the dancers/strippers from! :D
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I'm sorry, but I couldn't just let such a marvellous thread pass, without my ten penneth. Both Gooner and Ginge's comments made me laugh.

It looks like someone beaten the arrival of the tube line, with some good old entrepreneurial spirit.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I was walking past The Glamour Lounge this morning at about 1am (on my way home, honest) and it appeared to be open for business. There was security and a very smart looking velvet roped entrance.

Just wondered if anyone knows whether it was open, and if anyone actually attended.

Just for research purposes, obviously.
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

Okay,

As a concerned citizen, I sent a spy there, disguised as the worlds most famous pimp, huggy bear.

Sorry to disappoint those interested in "the visual arts" it's not going to be a lap-dancing bar.

The club has been bought by a god fearing woman, who is going to turn in into a live-music orientated club a bit like Ronnie Scotts.

It's opening hours will be 23:00 to 05:00 and it is not launching till Feb '06, what you saw this morning was the "pre-launch".

So I don't think we have to worry about teenagers rolling out of there out of their heads on alcopops, we don't have to worry about the sound of twanging g-strings(except in the musical sense) and I'm sure the council will ensure they are good neighbours.

In short let's take a cake around their and say "welcome neighbours, to the rich tapestry that is Sydenham".

And of course if you want to find more out about the process, you can watch the documentry when it comes out!
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

excellent.

i'm glad it is going to be used for anything at all, and even better that it could be a place i can go to with my wifes blessing.

i can admit to being a frequenter of the old twilights on a number of occasions, in my early years. it used to be a flat entrance fee, then a meal and all your drinks, at no extra charge.

we had some good laughs in there.

if the new place can attract the same calibre of act as ronnie scott's, then sydenham is in for a treat.

nice one.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

fishcox wrote:excellent.
if the new place can attract the same calibre of act as ronnie scott's, then sydenham is in for a treat.
now that would be something! :lol:
kster

Post by kster »

I suspect that it'll not be a copy of Ronnie Scotts. My guess is that it will be more like "Downstairs" which used to be open in Greenwich. If you never went there it was not quite the calibre of Ronnie S’s but a good night if you stuck to large G&Ts.
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

I've dragged my spy away from peeping through the letterbox to tell us more, apparently on the pre-opening night they had a couple of Latin dancers doing a demonstration routine, a seven piece R&B band playing and mixture of old and new "skool"(sic) and the inevitable DJ taking them into the wee small hours.

They haven’t had much of a welcome so far to Sydenham, as during the idle time between twilights closing and their pre-live night some of the equipment that was in twilights was stolen.

As has been said before they are not a big company just "a girl with a dream" so my spy suspects they will have to build up to what they want to be.

Let's wish them luck! (has anyone taken them round a cake yet?)
atarisoul

Post by atarisoul »

I think this thread should be renamed to something like "Twilights Replacement" or similar, or a new thread started as a new club opening in Sydenham should be promoted more, coz we need a club in this area badly ! My friends and I are fed up with Reflex in Croydon, Crystals etc etc

Does anyone know where I can find out about the new club?

Is it going to be called the "Glamour Lounge"

Is there a website? date opening? Will it be live bands / disco?
---------------------
Site Admin writes:

Good idea! The answers to our questions is now the new thread "The Glamour Lounge". This thread is now closed