OBVIOUS BUT WORTH REMINDING

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
dodd

OBVIOUS BUT WORTH REMINDING

Post by dodd »

I need to get some photos printed out at Snappy Snaps.
There's one around the corner from my office I could go to now.
And there's one around the corner from my house I could go to at the weekend.
Maybe our high street wouldn't be such a hot topic if we ploughed our money into it a bit more?
Just saying.
(And no, I don't have any affiliations with Snappy Snaps Sydenham).
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Business owners have to step up to this challenge: How can I encourage people to love my business enough to spend money with me on a regular basis.

Moaning that people shop elsewhere is not good enough. Businesses are not charities. They have to EARN their trade. Some people in the high street are doing it and are a credit to Sydenham.

Unfortunately the majority are not.

Perhaps in the long term, when the East London line comes and footfall increases more enlightened investors will come and force businesses to up their game. Perhaps...
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

There's a couple of shops in Sydenham Road that I would go in... if it weren't for the shop owner hovering by the window and waiting to pounce immediately. I went in one of them once, and was followed about and pushed so hard into buying... in the end I only had a card to pay with and they didn't accept card payments, so I managed to get out without buying a thing... but I've not been back in since!

I know people are desperate for business in these very tough times, but standing peering out the window puts customers off, and there is more than one shop like that in Sydenham!! :roll:
Great Bustard

Post by Great Bustard »

Well i have tried to support various local businesses but its not easy.

About 2 years ago.
Guitar strings local shop £14, internet £8.50 delivered !.

Had a word and the then owner said "Well thats the price"
what would you do.? I would maybe have allowed £1.50 difference but wasnt going to pay that much.

Same shop this Sunday. , was looking for another guitar and it so happens i find one in the same shop on their website. Here it was £199 others I saw up to £350 !
Go to shop, new owners by the look of it,hands me the guitar first thing i do is check out the neck....no, the guitars neck not the owner !

I asked if i would get some free arrows thrown in with the deal ! this was a piece of kit robin hood would have been proud of !.
Not only would he be able to win archery competitions he would be able
to sing songs and accompany himself on it whilst around the forest campfire at night with his band of merry men !

Not only is it bowed its also warped, WTF ! , what sort of crap is he selling here, he takes it off me and plays a couple of bars, and says it plays alright !
I said surely you dont expect me to buy a guitar with a neck in that state ?
(this fault which is to all intents and purposes irrepairable will get worse over time).

I said is this why its so much cheaper and he said no, which to be honest i didint believe, i think he was hoping to sell it to some mug punter which unfortunately he probaly will.

I was annoyed because it was exactly what i wanted & would have bought it there and then for cash if it was ok.

Had a similar problem with music shop in bromley about 5 years ago, tried to mug me off over a replacement pickup, wont go into details, problem is my 35 years knowledge of guitars is probably as good if not better than theirs.

I've had enough of "supporting" local businesses, i'm not tarring them all with the same brush, but of the sort i use they can go under for all i care.

end of rant :D
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

Where is this local guitar shop? PM me if you don't want to name them. Sometimes I need strings, plectrums, cables etc NOW and would rather nip to a local shop than wait a few days for internet delivery.
dodd

Post by dodd »

Glad I started this - jesus, the point I was trying to make was that it's so easy to spend money up in town if you work this way, or in an out of town shopping centre - rather than ploughing it into your local high street.
I know the internet can easily undercut on certain things (thanks for the guitar rant), but I'm talking things that can be done locally by good, decently priced outlets, run by friendly people who really need our custom at the moment, rather than distribute wealth elsewhere where we won't see the benefit.
It was just a thought after seeing lee's retouched shop fronts - all good - but if we're constantly banging on about how shit the high street is, maybe we should assess where our money goes.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Also, I think businesses of a certain type need to group together in terms of location.

For example, if you need to go to the bookshop, you can get a coffee etc very nearby at Blue Mountain (or cross over for Sugarhill) if you want. But, it is a shame you can't get other things you might need in that part of the high street.

I have not seen this new busines (I think it is a gift shop) yet on Dartmouth Road, but if somewhere like that opened near Kente or near the bookshop etc, it would start to make at least a small part of the high street 'a destination'.

There would then be a knock-on effect and it could spread all the way down the high street eventually, you never know! :D With 'all' businesses benefiting, not just the 'posh' ones.

People always bang on about Lordship Lane (and I am going to now) but, I really think this is probably how it happened there. I think very many of its visitors are outsiders and don't just live round the corner. It is worth going to because you can buy lots of different things there during one visit.

We need this vision for our high street if it is ever going to become a lively, pleasent, useful place to shop!
poppy

Post by poppy »

By the way, I use Snappy Snaps a lot. They are really nice and helpful in there. The old owner was not very friendly but the new one is. Would highly recommend, even if more pricey than online.

I almost always use the bookshop too, and try to use the DIY shop as often as I can too. Good businesses need to be supported.

While I can't afford to have coffee and cake out all the time I do not mind paying a little bit extra to get things I need locally.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

I tell you where is good Great Bustard .. the Tune Inn near Catford area .. or just past there .. near Water Loo plumbers (they like their puns, clearly)

V helpful and happy to chat. Picked up a nice guitar there.

Sydenham high street needs a bloody kick up it's zone 3 arse. A few nice places .. you know who you are .. but the rest look rubbish. And I bet they're not on here checking out what their customers think. A lot of people don't have the basic sense of logic or strategy to work out what businesses will flourish and who to attract custom. And if there is a 'High Street' manager (I was told there was) they need to up the ante in terms of giving the right advice etc etc.

I think someone needs to project manage an 'improve our High Street' campaign and drop in 'diplomatically' phrased suggestions through the shops' letter boxes. (I know Kente are regularly on here, considering what people say and lo and behold they are a popular little cafe).

Cause and effect. Simple.
parker

Post by parker »

There isnt enough good places in the high street to buy anything decent, at the end of the day im going to spend my money in the easiest and cheapest way whether its an all-out trip to Bromley or Croydon or a decent bite to eat in Beckenham or East Dulwich. I would not go to Sydenham unless it offers what i need, for instance there isnt much of a selection of good places to buy a sandwich or have lunch apart from a wimpy and some greasy spoons and make shift looking ''coffee shops''.

If the shop owners want my money then they should make more effort and our high street manager and Lewisham Council should liase with them and be doing more to attract other businesses increasing competition to get them to produce better value for money. At the moment they're not so i dont really spend my money in the primitive selection of shops currently in the high street. Simple as.

The problem with Sydenham is that it gives out the perception that there isnt enough money in the area in circulation - whether its true or not, which is why coffee shops like Caffe Nero have chosen not to open in Sydenham in the past. So instead we get chicken shops which sends a rippling effect worsening the look of the high street. Up-market companies therefore start to think that Sydenham residents dont have the disposable income to shop in the more upmarket types of shops and therefore open in Beckenham and East Dulwich and probabaly in the very near future Forest Hill!

The East London Line will have a lot to prove in the hope that it will encourage a higher standard of services in the high street and get people shopping locally.
dickp

Post by dickp »

I've said it before, but I think the main problem with the high street is that it's probably too big for today's needs. We could probably shrink it by half, and the remaining shops would just about be viable.

If I want to buy clothes, I will go into London, Croydon or Bromley.

If I want to buy food or household goods, I will go to Sainburys, Tesco local, or Beckenham Waitrose or M&S.

If I want furniture, I will go to Purley Way or St Mary's Cray.

Books or music - Amazon or eBay.

So - why would I go the High Street? For things I want right now, within walking distance. Which means top up food, a meal I can stagger home from, or a cash machine. And that's pretty much it.
poppy

Post by poppy »

DickP, wouldn't it be nicer, and better for the environment, to not always get into your car to get what you need. Yes, you can get the bus or train to the places you mentioned but that wastes time too.

If it was possible to get more of the things we needed from the high street it could save at least half an hour travelling time, having to deal with sometimes surly bus drivers and the many screaming kids which seem to be dragged around the Sava Centre and the Glades. Which I find extremely depressing - feel sorry for the kids!

Not to mention saving on petrol, bus or rail fares (if you don't have a travel card) and....a more enjoyable high street to walk along, even if it is only to and from the station to work, which also feels safe because it is not all shuttered up and there would be more people around late into the evening!

I know we have listed this before but we need:
A butchers
Fishmongers
Deli
Shoe shop
Clothes shops
Gift shops (Kirkdale bookshop, does not do a wide enough range)
Toy shop
Garden centre
Decent florist (I know there is the woman outside the post office, but again a limit range, I would like the opportunity to get more unusual flowers) The interflora place does not make enough effort in my opinion

But, there is definately stuff worth going to the high street for now though:

*Wellbeing sell makeup, paraban free beauty products, environmentally-friendly nappies and cleaning products, nice bread, spreads and other foodstuff
* Kirkdale bookshop and gallery
* DIY shop
* Snappy Snaps
* Cake shop - do very nice bread!
* Pet shop - great for the kids
* Wearabouts - school uniform shop and some other kids clothes, I have seen stuff similar to M&S in there and Converse trainers
* Candessa - does a few nice things
* Stationers (near Somerfield) do some art products too, at the back)
* Boots
* Superdrug
* Somerfield
* The Dolphin
* Kente
* Sugarhill
* Blue Mountain
* Post Office (which many areas do not have)
* Various banks and building societies
* Golden Lion Pub
* Two opticians
* Dry Cleaners
* Shoe menders
* Trattoria Rafele (sp?)

(Sorry, I have probably missed some, but this is plenty to be getting on with, surely?)

Parker, we need people like you to support these businesses, not just right them off. Get off your bum and go into some, you will be surprised!
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Quite right, Poppy. Too many people in Sydenham rely too much on their car to shop and go out of town, etc.

I have friends who live in Sydenham who suggest meeting up for a coffee or a drink and they dare to suggest a venue in Beckenham!

We really have some gems in SE26 and we should use forums like these to share them. I even found Tesco Express sells sushi! But don't tell too many people - it's only a small range.... :wink:
dodd

Post by dodd »

Spot on Poppy with your list of existing outlets.
I'd also add to that list...
-Smart Chaps hairdressers (really friendly guy who runs it, and very decently priced. Recent interior overhaul with lick of paint, bit of internal restructure and plasma TV's so clearly want to improve their business)
- Gurkahs Nepalese .Staff couldn't be friendlier if they tried. Always chuck in a freebie, (for take out and dine in) food is great, and whenevber we have people around they say how envious they are that they don't have this on their door step.
- The chippy just past the Dolphin - needs our support, or will go the way of the other chippy near the party shop, now a chicken hut. Yeah, thanks,like we needed another one of them.
- The party shop - again, really friendly staff, and everything you need for birthdays, anniversarys or barmitzfers.
I'm also reliably informed that the Mexican and pizza restaurants down near the Golden Lion are good too.

As for your list of what we could do with, I'd say if a deli popped up that did a decent range of meats as well as everything else, they'd make a killing. All it needs is someone with the foody knowledge and balls to do it, one of which I don't posses unfortunately.
dodd

Post by dodd »

oh, and the fruit stall.
And OTT hairdressers.

Never really thought about their being someone who looks after the high street shops. Why aren't they doing more to promote them?
Door drops?
A yearly 'celebrate Sydenham high street Saturday'?
???
dickp

Post by dickp »

Nope, sorry. I refuse to romanticise shopping, and pretend to promise to do something I won't.

I like going to Bromley. I like going to Beckenham. The world does not begin and end in Sydenham.

Sometimes I go by rail, sometimes by bus, sometimes by car. It depends where I'm coming from, where I'm going to, and whether I will drink.

And, while I couldn't say I like going to Purely Way, I do - because it make sense, and they're a decent choice of shops there.

What is the big deal about using "local" shops rather than larger out of town place. Local shops don't exactly sell "local produce", just the same stuff as the out of towns, produced by the same mutinationals - but, at a higher price, because overheads and rents are more expensive.

The High Street is palpably not viable. If it wasn't for planning laws, much of it would have been converted to residential use.
Last edited by dickp on 13 Sep 2009 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Dickp
The High Street is palpably not viable. If it wasn't for planning laws, much of it would have been converted to residential use.
And yet rentals are holding up. Think a bit more, and look at what's happening. There's no question that Sydenham Road is changing from the traditional High Street, but it's doing better than many others. We have an injection of vitality from various immigrant groups, and at the same time cafés starting up alongside greasy spoons.

Local High Streets will work as long as they are places people want to be. I'd never expect to buy any big ticket items in Sydenham Road, but I do like doing top up shopping there, talking to shop owners I know and who know me, seeing people I know in the street. It's something supermarkets try to reproduce, but they can't.
dodd

Post by dodd »

This is interesting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8245276.stm

Although something tells me we'd need a lot of Sydenham one pound notes printed up to reflect the high concentration of pound stores.
Janeco

Post by Janeco »

Curtain shop is very handy too.
Trawlerman

Sydenham High Street

Post by Trawlerman »

Do you think 'Sainsbury's ['Savacentre'..What's in a name / name change...??!!] has anything to do with our High Street's present condition?

Nearby superstores do tend to have a knock-on and ongoing negative effect on local high streets...But that's economics, I suppose.

Didn't we have a Woolies once ? [Long before recent closures], Pollards?
A wet fish shop? AAhhh.!!..Those were the days...
Have a look at Betjeman's 'Inexpensive Progress'
Progress..?
Humph!!!