The gentrification of Miriam Lodge

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
bigbadwolf

The gentrification of Miriam Lodge

Post by bigbadwolf »

What on earth is going on there? The front resembles that of a country pile with all it's ornate lighting and fixture's. It's only meant to be a hostel for christ sake, they should at least feel like they're in one!

A year or so ago you used to have refugees getting pissed up and smoking dope but that seems to have changed now. I think they're allowed to get away with that sort of thing indoors!

Just look at what it's like inside!

http://www.miriamlodge.com/home.html
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Bloody hell !! And don't forget your golf clubs.
noangel

Post by noangel »

Darn! Homeless people getting a roof over their head in a newly furbished tower block. What's the world coming to!?! :shock:
simon

Re: The gentrification of Miriam Lodge

Post by simon »

bigbadwolf wrote:What on earth is going on there? The front resembles that of a country pile with all it's ornate lighting and fixture's. It's only meant to be a hostel for christ sake, they should at least feel like they're in one!l
Yes of course; if you ever find yourself homeless you need to be reminded of your inferior status all the time.
jmc

Post by jmc »

When I saw the title of the thread I assumed it was in the "Town Museum & Gallery"

I thought "The Gentrification of Miriam Lodge" sounded like the name of a 1930's film :oops:

I don't see why someone who is homeless shouldn't receive lodgings in good quality accommodation. But when we are all aware of the lack of money for "social" needs the clear quality of this hostel is bemusing.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

A few pot plants [sorry, I'll re-phrase that...] would be nice.

Good idea to make people feel valued and have a steak ...stake ...in their
accommodation.

I hope things work out. But, I have fingers crossed.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Excuse my ignorance although lived in Syd all ny life cannot place this residential unit.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

it's behind and a little bit to the side of Sydenham Nick.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Oh yes I know
Used to be housing for Police Constable's etc , seems to have gone down hill ever since.
At one time seemedm to be a place for illegals.
Why is the Police Station open 9 to 5pm . Criminal classes do not work 9 to 5.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

because there are no response PCs based there...
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Is being PC necessarily responsible? [Not for the lodge, now]

Does one always get a response from a PC? Is 'Nick' a suitably PC name?
Or is better to be Bob?

Its all too confusing.

Its good to have somewhere to live. Agreed? If an individual 'messes up' he / she should be held accountable and rectify... Tenancy agreements, reasonable behaviour, sense of responsibility...suitable sanctions, stick and carrot... Its not rocket science.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree society has a responsibility to look after the unfortunate persons who are homeless , if they act in a responsible manner. It should not be a right but a privilidge given for good behaviour.
Not sure what problems if any going on there at present.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

At the risk of being repetitive and boring , I will attempt to clarrify the current situation.
The current use is predominantly as a bail hostel for the homeless. i.e. If someone is put on bail for an offence, they need to have an address. Miriam Lodge gives these people about to be put on trial an abode.
And before someone says 'innocent until proven guilty', most of the people have convictions already.
The list of gripes starts at empty alcohol bottles and cans being left around the area (and in our front gardens) and peaks at being assaulted and having a friend cut himslef on a syringe needle put out with Miriam Lodge's rubbish.
Living near Miriam Lodge has has a significant detrimental impact on the area. I have cut the text from 2 letters sent to nearby residents.

From Miriam Lodge, dated 30 June 2009
Dear Neighbours
We have received a complaint that some residents from Miriam Lodge have attempted to jump over the fence to your back gardens from our car park. To avoid this happening again, we have decidedraise the fence by two feet at our own expense
We hope in doing this will prevent ant future occurences.

Yours

Miriam Lodge

Another (undated letter) was sent by the Met Police Safer Neighbourhood Team
on 24 September 2009

It doesn't say very much, except they are working hard to address peoples concerns. This includes CCTV and a weapons search.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

I agree that people need a safety net when their chips are down but not a hotel.
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Four star hotel at that.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

4 star hotel? ...What's that? Rights? Privileges? Who decides? Reasonable people? Who?

Perhaps a case for 'do as you would be done by'...

Weapons searches? Excellent idea... CCTV ...Why not? Curfews? ...not bad.

Carrot and stick. If people abuse trust...Then they begin to forfeit the right to be trusted. Not so much 'hard work' as 'common sense...really.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

one aspect is that the Hostel is privately run. Lewisham and the police have little/no say in its operation, until something bad happens.

This was a complete c0ck up (IMO) by Lewisham in allowing this to go through the Planning System. We've already had several big fights in the Lodge at weekends and a near-fatal stabbing outside the police station earlier this year.

Having CCTV etc around the Lodge is step in the right direction, but I saw someone from the Lodge being chucked out of Tescos on Kirkdale only this evening for trying to shoplift. (I know he was from ML because I wlaked back down Willow Way myself and saw him go into ML)

I think a lot of disrputive behaviour occurs in the immediate vicinity and not on ML property. This makes it difficult to prove a direct link between crime and ML

I have lived here 10 years and have not seen such a rapid escalation in crime and unsociable behaviour until recently.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Thanks for that, ALIB.

looks like a case for stick ...now?

As I said...Be trusted...abuse trust...lose trust...

Privately run? What a joke... Count your cash and stuff the local community.

The only stake a private company has in this sort of enterprise is in their balance sheets...Not in the neighbourhood. In effect, if those in charge were truly responsible from the start...Then such a 'cock-pp' would, probably, not have taken place!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I had no idea it is a bail hostel. Poor neighbours and very close to the impressionable young ladies at Sydenham School.
All more reason to avoid The Brick.
If people have already a conviction then believe bail should not apply but wait under Her Majesties Pleasure.
I would imagine no Councillors live near by.