Selfish Parkers in Tannsfeld Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

the phrase "get off my property now and if you come round here again I'm reporting you to the police for harassment" usually works quite well.
DerBrenster

Post by DerBrenster »

Parked the Jag down Tannsfeld Road the other day. An old lady came out of her house and commented what a pleasure it was to see a quality classic British motor car out of her window as opposed to the usual Teutonic tat or, even worse, a Smug Petrol Electric Hybrid! :P

She went on to say how sick she was of these people who think that using finite life batteries which use eco-unfriendly chemicals within hugely expensive imported capital purchases is the way forward. She mentioned an article she'd recently read in the Economist dated 6/6/09 about how Hybrids were in fact over their lifetime more expensive that conventional vehicles!

And she also mentioned within that same article about how new hybrids, which use compressed air, are more likely to be the way forward as oil becomes ever more expensive. The cylinders in the car can be used to create the compressed air she said. No need for polluting electrical cells. And no astronomical replacement costs either which would mean those vehicles would last longer!

She finished off by saying that she thought it was an absolute scandal how those Smugs get let off the congestion charge when in fact they're polluting just as much as everyone else.

I couldn't help but agree with her. Not sure if she was the same woman as this post started off with but she was certainly a wise old bird, questioned what she was spoonfed and didn't believe the hype or accept the orthodoxy like some others I can think of!
musicgirl

Tannsfeld road

Post by musicgirl »

Well - thanks for your responses! My neighbour has now 'fessed up that it was his car parked outside her house and thinks he might make a habit of it! I'll keep you informed of any developments - think she might start keying the cars next! As to ASBO's - AntiSocialBusybodyOldladies - this is possibly a little OTT. This is not the same militants as in Queensthorpe road - sorry to disappoint.
PS to Willy - 'greyhound lady' was an affectionate term describing how quickly she can leap out of her house and attach her teeth to your throat - not a description of her quadrupeds. x
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

So it sounds like the person Eagle knows. I'd suggest he has a chat before some harm comes to this person...

I know an ASBO might seem drastic but as previous if this person was male and over 6ft you'd see it for what it is. I'd suggest we all see this wizened old hag for what she is and not allow any false veneer of venerability or vulnerability due to her age cloud us.

If only I had a car. I park it there at every given opportunity. Revving the engine and pumping the stereo. Maybe even have a few loud and obnoxious mobile 'phone calls whilst sitting on the bumper.

Yes, I need to get out more. Which is exactly what I am about to do. I may drop by Tannsfield en route to the station (only joking!).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dare I say that one day U may be a wizened old hag - unless she gets you first!
Can we leave abusive personal remarks aside please.

Admin
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I dare say I'll be an insufferable old snob. An intolerant angry old man (I'm thinking Victor Meldrew here). Some might say I'm there already! Assuming I get to a ripe old age that is.

OK, I'll reign it in Admin.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ulysses wrote: An intolerant angry old man (I'm thinking Victor Meldrew here).
Think Admin :twisted:
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

I agree with Ulysees.

Just because she's an old woman doesn't mean we should cut her any slack with this sort of behaviour.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Ulysees
You committed the cardinal sin of wring Tannsfield. It is a Germanic Road and they will get Angela onto you if you do not write Tannsfeld to honour the Germans who built the fine house or were the first residents
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Schade Eagle,

Das war ein dumm Fehler auf meinem Teil. Besonders, wenn Sie denken, dass ich in Deutschland aufwuchs! Ich weiß wirklich von den starken Deutschen Verbindungen unseres Gebiets und sollte besser gewusst haben.

Schade zu allen.

So, I'm showing off now...this is what I wrote.

Sorry Eagle,

This was a silly mistake on my part. Especially when you think I grew up in Germany! I really know about the strong German connections of our area and should have known better.

Sorry to all.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Vielen danke Ulysees.
Heritage Angle

Parking/old girl

Post by Heritage Angle »

I agree with pretty much all that Trawlerman has stated here. True that the provinces are a wholy different survival game where t/port's concerned (I could give examples) but alas I also agree wholeheartedly with T/man's response to that. Unfortunately the pound/dollar sign will always reign supreme I fear and business decisions centre around such. In short, to paraphrase the Smiths', 'The World Wont Listen'. So few occupants of this plannet care other than for themselves.

On the subject of the local plan, which I was going to raise: as is so often the case, I find myself sitting on the fence. Saw the 'exhibition' on Saturday and cant decide. I'm pretty anti car but wonder if the Palace- bound buses would fare as poorly as they do now with that bloody EDF works?? Any ideas? [I know, buses polute more than inndividual cars. Oh for trams / trolley buses].

*Must research this German connection. Had no knowledge of that.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes I agree car use in The Provinces worse than London but still a crime how many journeys that could have been made on foot on public transport are done in the car using expensive imported fuel and mostly imported cars.
Cars should be more taxed in cities. Go on Alistair have some guts.
maestro

Post by maestro »

Or you can beat the system and drive one of these, just voted 'city car of the year' by Top Gear magazine (I bet Clarkson was mightily impressed!)....... :lol:

http://www.carsuk.net/toyota-prius-top- ... -the-year/
mikej

Post by mikej »

Smug b*st*rd. Doesn't he make you sick?
maestro

Post by maestro »

mikej wrote:Smug b*st*rd. Doesn't he make you sick?
I know, us veritable lentil munching tree huggers who drive them adorn a permanent Tony Blairesque grin (like as if you have a coat hanger in your gob), your farts become lavender scented, and even if you're not a believer you automatically go to heaven! :lol: