Dog Poo - £75 deposit

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
admin
Site Admin

Dog Poo - £75 deposit

Post by admin »

Lewisham Media Release: 10 November 2009
PR856

Dog Control Order Enforcement Notices come into effect: 16 November

Earlier in the year, Lewisham Council approved the adoption of a borough wide Dog Control Order, following new legislation under Section 55 of the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act (2005), which meant that the borough could take action, and enforcement, against people who did not comply with new rules.

As from 16 November 2009, enforcement action - which means an on-the-spot fine of £75.00 - can now be taken against people who:

* Fail to remove their dog’s faeces from a public place
* Do not keep their dog on a lead in a designated area such as a park or open space - these will be sign-posted in public areas
* Do not put, or keep their dog on a lead when directed to do so by an authorised officer
* Permit their dog to enter land to which dogs are excluded - these will be sign-posted
* Take more than 4 dogs onto land at any one time

Councillor Susan Wise, Cabinet Member for Customer Services, said: “Lewisham Council wants anyone who owns a dog to behave in a responsible manner, and the vast majority of people do. There are, however, a small number of people who do sometimes act irresponsibly. These are the people the Council can now take action against if they break the new regulations.”

As well as Council enforcement officers other partners such as Safer Neighbourhood Teams, Neighbourhood Wardens, housing partners and the Council’s parks contractors, will have the authority to issue the Fixed Penalty Notices if people do not comply with the regulations.

The Dog Control Orders exclude people who are registered blind with a guide dog and people with trained/registered support dogs.

As part of its drive to encourage responsible dog ownership, Lewisham Council holds free dog microchipping events around the borough. Contact Lewisham Animal Welfare Team on 020 8314 2098 for more information.

For further information about the locations where the Dog Control Order applies to visit http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/dogs
Great Bustard

Post by Great Bustard »

It should be illegal to not have a dog on a lead in a public place not just parks.

and they should also extend the dangerous dogs law to cover the chav dog of choice, the staff.

the only reason these low lifes get them is because pitbulls are illegal and a staff is the next best thing to these dangerous animals.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

it's all very well having new regulations, but given the current financial climate, i cannot see enforcement officers (or even the police) devoting much time to this.
It will be interestig to see some statistics in a few months as to how many people have been fined.
Around Upper Sydenham i see plenty of dogs not walked on leads, plenty of owners not picking up their dogs mess and quite a few professional dog walkers who take up to 12 dogs at a time for 'walkies'.
davegr

Post by davegr »

Not again... Never has a breed got such a bad name. The vast majority of staffies are the friendliest, most child friendly dogs around.

Blame the owner not the breed.
Willy

Post by Willy »

I thought you could already be fined for not picking up your dogs mess and that doesn't stop the streets in Sydenham being awash with it. If there are no wardens to enforce these rules then it's a waste of time.
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

Another waste of time undertaken by Lewisham council - for one thing who will need their dog chipped if their dog is always on a lead?

this council are a bunch of wasters some times
coll

Post by coll »

What does the amount of dogs one walks have to do with anything? This law is so ridiculous. I have a friend who walks her 5 dogs everyday. They are well behaved and under control. She always picks up after them. Is someone going to tell her she can’t walk her dogs together anymore? These sweeping blanket laws are so cowardice and ineffective!
And as for dangerous dogs. Why not do what other countries do, hold the owners responsible not ban the breed? As has been said the chav dog of the moment is the poor Staff. They have only become demonized because skanks who use their dogs a weapons and status symbols can't own Pit Bulls ‘anymore.’ So they moved on to the Staffy. What will it be after they outlaw them? Even with this absurd outlawing of Pit Bulls, I still see them everywhere! Prosecute the owners not the dogs! Regulate breeding, enforce dog licensing and you'll see a change!
Saying that, does anyone actually think some skanky chav is going to cough up the cash for an ‘on-the spot-fine?’ Who’s going to enforce it community support? I know for sure that many community support officers would simply go the other way rather than get into it with some mange walking their Staffy on a huge chain. So will it be the police in Mayow park enforcing this? I saw them their one day as the law was being put into place – haven’t seen one officer in the park since!
I was talking to a guy who works cleaning the streets in Sydenham . He says the council may introduce a measure where if a repeat offender is found not to be picking up after their dog, they can obtain a sample of the mess. They can then take the dog until they get a second sample straight from the dog’s… They can test it and if it’s a match then issue a £1000. That’s more like it!
It seems that a very few have the most say. Its echoed in that hideous mess that is going on in Mayow park using salvaged tanker containers as changing rooms. Ripping out the hedges and tress in the process. I know I opposed it as did many others but ‘BAM’ there it is. Same with that, what I understood was the vastly unpopular and unsupported mosaic for the high street. ‘Bam’ that’s going through also!
Sad!
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

I have emailed some Lewisham Councillors to get their 'take' on these Regulations, but didn't get a reply.
There is no point having these Regulations unless they are going to be enforced. Lewisham have clearly spent a lot of time and money on the consultation process for these Regulations and also on publicising them with posters and stickers.
We'll wait and see how they are enforced and whether or not it's just another example of wasted time and money
Last edited by ALIB on 11 Nov 2009 12:09, edited 1 time in total.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I don't envy those charged with enforcing these on the spot fines.

Can you imagine being in certain parts of Sydenham and approaching the type of person who has a Staff and lets it foul with impunity?

No fear. These articles have Staffs for a reason and fair to say they're hardly upstanding members of society.

Assuming no physical harm would come to you it'll all be "Bruv, Bruv, am axing if dis please proskution innnit, braap, braap, braap. I ain't peyin no fine, issit, ye git me"...or however they 'speak'.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

I have heard that in Russia the 'police' would merely [summarily] shoot the 'dog' and march the 'owner' into custody.No messing about. No discussion. No moderation. Now, I'm certainly not advocating such measures in Sydenham, but....[Hmmmm, makes one think, eh?]

Now, I'm not talking about your average good-natured pooch, I'm talking about your froth-mouthed, red-eyed, psychopath, quadruped-nutter and his
grunting, knuckle-dragging, incoherent resentment-driven owner.
[ I'm not blaming the dog...Just as one doesn't blame the knife or the gun...But if owners want to turn their dogs into dangerous weapons then they should face the consequences...]
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Trawlerman wrote:I'm talking about your froth-mouthed, red-eyed, psychopath, quadruped-nutter and his
grunting, knuckle-dragging, incoherent resentment-driven owner.
That is a gross slander. I have blue eyes!

Admin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just in from Boris ... with a Lewisham comment!

Mayor of London press release
Wednesday 11 November 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Deputy Mayor calls for action on weapon dogs

Urgent action is needed to tackle the growing proliferation of aggressive weapon dogs on the capital's streets, Kit Malthouse, Deputy Mayor for Policing, said today.

Kit Malthouse hosted a City Hall summit with the Met Police, the RSPCA and senior representatives from across London’s 32 boroughs to discuss how to deal with increasing numbers of weapon dogs - some of which are being used by gang members and in serious crime.

Figures show the number of Pit Bull dogs seized by the police shot up by 65 per cent in the last year, while court cases involving dangerous dog offences rose by 50 per cent between 2006 and 2007. In the last five years, London's hospitals have seen admissions for dog bites increase by 79 per cent, compared to 43 per cent nationally.

Evidence collected from a wide range of agencies, including the Metropolitan Police and animal welfare groups, indicates a huge increase in the number of weapon dogs in London compared with other cities in the UK and a rise in the problem of irresponsible dog ownership.

These dogs are increasingly being used in serious crime and as weapons for intimidation amongst gang members. In particular, there has been an increase in the number of young people owning these dogs, as well as a rise in attacks on young people using weapon dogs.

A further problem associated with dangerous dogs is the destruction of trees by the animals which are trained to strengthen their jaws by attacking the barks of trees in local parks.

Kit Malthouse said:

‘There is a new weapon of intimidation terrorising the streets of London. Using a weapon dog is no different to using a gun or a knife to attack, maim and even kill. More and more people are choosing specific types of breeds as their weapon of choice and choosing them for a reason. Certain types of dogs are inherently more aggressive than others. At the top of the list are bull breeds, developed for one purpose: to attack and fight. It is no longer valid to look solely for solutions which rely on responsible ownership; there is something in the dogs which must be considered.

‘That is why, today, I’m calling for urgent action to deal with the problem. We need to punish owners appropriately for use of this weapon and look at the existing legislation to see where changes can be brought in which have a lasting impact so that Londoners are free to walk the streets without fear of intimidation, injury and attack from a snarling weapon dog.’

Sgt Ian McParland, Head of the Metropolitan Police Service’s Status Dogs Unit, said:

‘It is a sad fact that criminals are deliberately misusing dogs to threaten and intimidate people and commit crime. I know this is of great concern to Londoners and my unit is working extremely hard to tackle this problem. Together with officers from across the Met, including those working on Operation Blunt, we have conducted a great many operations to seize dogs and arrest people using dogs in this way.

‘Since its inception, the Status Dogs Unit has seized over 680 dogs from London's streets suspected of being illegal, dangerous or both. We also work very closely with RSPCA, councils and others to encourage responsible dog ownership and share information.’

Claire Robinson, Government Relations Manager at the RSPCA, said:

‘The RSPCA is greatly concerned about dogs being used as weapons by irresponsible owners. We are committed to working in partnership with the police, councils and the Mayor to jointly tackle the problems associated with status dogs such as animal cruelty and anti social behaviour.

‘The rise in status dogs has significantly impacted on our resources - from animal centres and vets to our inspectors. This is primarily in major cities but especially in London.

‘We believe action needs to be taken on two fronts. Firstly partnership approaches to tackle the immediate problems to better protect animals and humans and secondly an overhaul of the legislation to ensure more effective and proportionate response to the issue.’

Lewisham Council’s Cabinet Member for Customer Services, Susan Wise, said:
‘We know most dog owners in Lewisham act responsibly and look after their pets extremely well. However, we will take action against the irresponsible minority. Our new Dog Control Orders mean that we can now act if the regulations are broken.

'As part of our drive to encourage responsible dog ownership, Lewisham Council works with the RSPCA, Battersea Dogs Home and the local Safer Neighbourhood Team as part of our joint Borough Action for Responsible K9s (BARK). Collectively we tackle anti-social behaviour and poor treatment of dogs, we run school education programmes, discounted neutering schemes, free dog microchipping events, and dog agility training to encourage responsible exercising of dogs.'
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Borough Action for Responsible K9s (BARK)
???
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Great leglislation that will be totally ignored by those dog owners who are not law abiding
We have to crack down on dangerous trophy dogs. Perhaps council should get their attendents to shoot them.
Willy

Post by Willy »

sounds like the Russians have the right idea
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

i read the small article in the Sydenham Society newsletter on this last week. The author of that article was also critical of the way Lewisham have publicised the new Regulations with fly-posters which already look tatty and weathered.

I would like Bensonby's take on these regulations. Are existing laws already in place to deal with irresponsible owners ? and if the police have higher priority things to do, then who is going to enforce them ?

This appears to me to be a high-profile waste of money, though i am willing to be educated/proved wrong
simon

Post by simon »

I think they are taking dangerous dogs seriously:
On Friday a Knighton Park Road man was arrested and five pit bull puppies and a bitch were removed from his house by Lewisham Animal Welfare. The police were supported by the Sydenham Safer Neighbourhoods team.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

I don't say we should follow their example...But, in Russia I have heard the police summarily shoot dangerous dogs and fine the owners. Just a thought...
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

haven't you already said that TM?

Personally I think they should bring back the dog licence. - Give police/council officers powers to demand it on request (dangerous dogs couldn't be licenced anyway) if you fail to produce then the dog is confiscated and kept down the police station. The owner is charged per day for it's upkeep.....if hte owner doesn't produce the licence at the police station within a week then the dog is detroyed.

Simples...
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

thanks Bensonby.

great post. I wish real life would reflect the views expressed here.