Robbery outside Nat West

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
pip

Robbery outside Nat West

Post by pip »

A man was robbed at gunpoint earlier today outside the Natwest bank and apparently £15000 was taken from him.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi, please can you confirm the source of your information.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

could someone please tell me the point of posting information like this on this forum, along with the information about someone being murdered on the high street.

sounds like a load of rubbish to me.
Jeannie

Really?

Post by Jeannie »

That's funny; I spoke to a police officer there because I needed to get to the shops, and she told me that someone was assaulted in the road, not that someone was robbed. At gunpoint? In Sydenham? That worries me a bit... I've only just moved there (I'm a Londoner but I lived in Birmingham for a while), and thought it was still relatively safe. :?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

fishcox wrote:could someone please tell me the point of posting information like this on this forum, along with the information about someone being murdered on the high street.
If it is true then we should know. However, see other 'High Street incident' thread - imagination has overtaken facts.

Which is why I ask that postings making serious allegations should state the source. If posters do not want to reveal it in public - they should PM me. If they can't trust me then they shouldn't post!
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

The person who posted both messages on the board, about 'the robbery at gunpoint' and 'the murder', is 'Pip'. If these allegations turn out to be mere rumours (and, as the days go by, they DO appear just to be rumours) can we remove 'Pip' from the list of people who post on these boards - or at least ask this individual not to post here again?

It is a huge act of irresponsibility to post unsubstantiated rumours of this kind in a public place. We all need to face the bald truth about our community good or bad - and Sydenham certainly isn't untainted by crime. But to pretend that very serious crimes have been committed when they haven't isn't helping to build the sort of community all of us want.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Yes, it is certianly irresponsible but I am sure Pip was posting in good faith and certainly deserves a chance to respond before being banned from the site. Local news takes that little while longer to travel and though I wouldn't want to be frightened unecessarily by exaggerations, I would rather know to be on my guard. There is a fine line between controlling the content of posts and outright censorship.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posting scams/spams here gets you banned pdq.

Posting 'unfortuneately' gets you 'guidance'. Most people react positively. I believe it is important to be welcoming to newbies who may not yet appreciate the difference between saying something in the pub or playground and publishing it on a website.

I sort to cap both threads to make sure that people knew there had been no actual murders, armed robberies etc. An increasing difficulty is that the police appear to be employing a lot more blue tape - closing streets etc for minor incidents. Then say nothing. This can have the affect of making a crime appear more serious than it may have been and encouraging rumour. It looks like that may have happened here.

Please - no witch hunts. Trust me!
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

anyway, it looks like pip has had his/her sensationalist fun, and gone back to Gladys Knight.
enid

Post by enid »

Pip is not being a sensationalist ! I saw the notice stating that a male was attacked by several other males between 5 and 6 on Sunday morning. The only mistake Pip made was he/she got the time wrong
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

In a separate thread he/she states that someone was murdered, and in this thread someone else was robbed of £15000..

Sounds sensationalist to me, and the information still has not been substantiated.

If the murder and the £15000 robbery are correct, then I offer a full apology.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Enid, I think you are mistaken. The incident, as I understand it, was a male was indeed assaulted by 5 youths. While, no doubt, it was frightening to the victim there were, ACCORDING TO THREE INDEPENDENT POLICE SOURCES, no shootings, £15,000 robbery or murders in Sydenham this week.

So lets be clear, unless anybody has substantiated and verifiable information to the contrary, this issue is now closed.

If people wish to discuss this decision - please take it to TOWN ASYLUM.