Sirens

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Mrs.E

Sirens

Post by Mrs.E »

Just wondered if anyone else has noticed a recent increase in siren noise on Sydenham Road overnight - Last night being particularly bad?

I am often woken in the early hours of the morning when there are no other vehicles on the road by screeching sirens. Is it really necessary to have the sirens on the whole way down the road?!!!

OK - Rant over... Mrs E is very tired and sleep deprived today!
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

well...noise invariably travels further at night. sirens are used to warn vehicles and people around the emergency service vehicle that they are approaching at speed.

It's up to the individual driver when to use his safety equipment (siren/lights) but when approaching junctions, bends, other vehicles at 40/50/60mph I'd say it would be very unwise not to use your siren...no matter what time of the day or night.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I am not sure if I have noticed a recent increase or overall increase in noise Mrs.E. I think we live in a very quiet part of town. Don't believe me? You can check out this fact offically on the London Noise Map.

At night all I hear is foxes, in the main. In fact I live a fair distance from the railway station but I can hear the horns of the trains and the diesel engine of the Uckfield line train. That tells me how quiet it is in my part of Sydders.

I will cede that there seems to be phases of increased activity from the boys in blue. We seem to be in a period when the chopper hovering over Home Park or Wells Park seems to be a permanent fixture once again...with accompanying sirens.
Fatbackfour

Post by Fatbackfour »

It is incredible how anoying a police helicopter hovering above your house can be, I know our boys in blue have a job to do keeping the streets safe. At least a siren passes quickly.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

For goodness sake - do you want the police to catch criminals or not???
Fatbackfour

Post by Fatbackfour »

So stealth has nothing to do with it ? Of course I want to see criminals caught and prosecuted ,who wouldnt ?
Annie

Post by Annie »

:)
Hello Mrs E,
I must admit I thought the same thing, And yes, before anyone jumps in with the obvious,I know they have to use the sirens as a matter of safety.
angela53

sirens

Post by angela53 »

The police helicopters seem to be over us every night at the same time. When my husband phoned up to complain a couple of months ago,it stopped for a few days, we suspect this is a police helicopter training exercise.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Car chase last night, car tearing up the road, round the corner, hotly pursued by police cars, their sirens and a helicopter...hope they managed to catch whoever it was after all the effort that goes into 'these' things. Keep up the good work our boys in blue as, I for one, think you are brilliant and deserve a lot more thanks than you actually get.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:o
Cathy, you are soooo right,
Mrs.E

Post by Mrs.E »

I understand the need to support our boys in blue, but also find it particularly irritating when the police helicopter circles over my street at midnight for over an hour for no apparent reason as it did last night!
maestro

Post by maestro »

Mrs.E wrote:I understand the need to support our boys in blue, but also find it particularly irritating when the police helicopter circles over my street at midnight for over an hour for no apparent reason as it did last night!

I heard it too, eight or nine police cars screamed down Southend Lane just a minute or so before I heard the helicopter approach. I wondered what on earth had been going on, it transpires it was all "for no apparent reason". Thanks for informing us Mrs.E
Mrs.E

Post by Mrs.E »

Why are people on this forum always ready to reply for with a wise crack?

I am really fed up with the lack of community spirit on here. It is nothing but a platform for the weak to bully others. I think it gives the completely wrong impression of what Sydenham is all about!

Were you never taught that if you had nothing nice to say, not to say anything at all?!!

Some of you are very rude and need to learn some manners! :cry:
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I must admit Mrs. E I am fairly flabbergasted by your post.

I could not disagree with you more. Now, I can see how you may perceive maestro's post and have reacted accordingly but it was only mildly sarky.

To bemoan the lack of 'community spirit' on this forum is misguided and simply untrue. Having been here in Sydders since 2001 the continued community spirit of the actual area/people and the forum is one of the things I cherish.

Take a walk through the forum...

People [strangers] are meeting up to play 5-a-side football. People [strangers] are meeting up to have some social interaction. People are sharing thoughts/views/experiences. People are giving away posessions or selling them, cheaply, to others in the vicinity. People are giving up time and money to post old views of Sydenham or to help others find old relatives. People are giving up time to create radio programmes. People are giving up time to ensure Sydenham Road improvements go ahead by leafleting homes or creating epetitions or trying to get passers-by to go into the exhibition. People are creating blogs to try and beautify Sydenham. People are pointing out pitfalls of using certain tradesmen/businesses...

I'm sure others can post what (extra) good goes on within this forum.

I see little or no evidence of rudeness or aggressiveness or any of the associated ills of cyber-space/forums today.

If you think there's another forum elsewhere that you think bests this one (and yes, it does have some small issues) then please let me know. As [and excuse my French please] - I'd f*cking love to live there.
Last edited by Ulysses on 23 Nov 2009 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
Mrs.E

Post by Mrs.E »

I take offence to your view that maestro's post was 'only mildly sarky'.

It seems to me that far too often posts are being mocked by a core group of people on this forum.

It isn't everyone on here but I have had countless posts ridiculed by the same 5 or so frequent users.
maestro

Post by maestro »

Mrs.E wrote:Why are people on this forum always ready to reply for with a wise crack?

I am really fed up with the lack of community spirit on here. It is nothing but a platform for the weak to bully others. I think it gives the completely wrong impression of what Sydenham is all about!

Were you never taught that if you had nothing nice to say, not to say anything at all?!!

Some of you are very rude and need to learn some manners! :cry:

Oh, do forgive me Mrs.E. We obviously think in very different ways. When I hear half a dozen sirens racing past my house, and I look out of the window to observe another three police vehicles travelling at about 60-70mph, then a few seconds later I am aware of the helicopter approaching, and circling as it did for some time last night, I make the assumption that a fairly major crime has taken place, such as an armed hold-up, someone mugged, assaulted/stabbed/shot at, someone raped/sexually assaulted, or perhaps a drunk in a car has mown someone down on a pedestrian crossing and failed to stop. These are just examples of what normally goes through my mind.

But I always also think of these three things.

1. Obviously someone has just had something unfortunate happen to them.

2. Thank goodness I'm not the victim involved in whatever it was.

3. Thank goodness the police are out there doing the job they do.

The reason why the helicopter frequently hovers over Sydenham may not always be apparent, but please be assured that whenever you hear it, it will probably be there for a very, very good reason. If it distresses you so much, well it's really not too difficult to solve your problem...........

(you see, we're actually a really helpful bunch on here!)

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Muffles-W ... -pack_6330
Last edited by maestro on 23 Nov 2009 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mrs E - a PM for you.

Admin
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Your issue seems to be with the 5 same or so frequent users so I suggest you take it up with them.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Mrs.E wrote:I understand the need to support our boys in blue, but also find it particularly irritating when the police helicopter circles over my street at midnight for over an hour for no apparent reason as it did last night!
what do you mean it's "no apparent reason" - just because you don't know what they are up to does that make it somehow unreasonable?

They were up around Wells Park road again last night...do you think they were there just for fun?
Fatbackfour

Post by Fatbackfour »

No i'm sure it was not just for fun..but when you think about it flying a helicopter tracking villians and high speed police car chases must be quite good fun.. I'm sure when these guys and girls sign up its not to sit behind a desk