Sirens

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Well.

I think it might be that Admin has removed any offensive posts. Wouldn't you agree? You've certainly got the deductive reasoning of a policeman...
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

If don't think I could have greater vindication of my earlier views than the last dozen postings on this thread.

"TOWN HALL - The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham"

Really?!?
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Oh lighten up nasaroc. :D

I sometimes wonder if you understand the reason d'etre of internet forums/message boards.

It's not the first time we've seen pseudo moderation from you, is it?

We'll get back on thread, don't worry. But threads DO meander...you'd best get used to it, it's perfectly acceptable internet etiquette

Just like this...

SO, those sirens. They've mercifully calmed down again of late. Peace seems to reign once again in our generally quiet part of south London?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Ulysses wrote:Well.

I think it might be that Admin has removed any offensive posts. Wouldn't you agree? You've certainly got the deductive reasoning of a policeman...
to be fair, I check this message board several times a day and havn't spotted any particularly offensive posts.....

and I thought you said "destructive reasonsing of a policeman" at first - oh dear...(!)
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Out of interest bensonby, what situation would call for a Police helicopter?

We have the example of a Police chase coming from Beckenham [sssh, just don't tell Parker, she/he thinks there aren't criminals in Beckenham or LB Bromley...silly sausage!] the other night that has been talked about here.

I must say though some nights I have been under the Police chopper when I have gotten off at Lower Sydenham station and walked through Home Park. I have heard no sirens nor seen any large gathering of Police.

Or is this a ridiculous notion on my part? What I am saying is many times I believe I have heard the approach of the chopper towards Sydders and the hovering of said chopper but without the mass wail of car sirens that I would associate with a serious offence...

Valid observation?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nasaroc wrote:I've lost count of the number of very well informed and community-minded people in SE26 who used to contribute to STF and have a great deal to say but tell me that they've stopped because of the lack of a fair and objective referee.

When individuals have received abusive emails to their home address emails and admin refuses to intervene, its hardly surprising that so many people are "scared off".
I regulate STF. I am unable to regulate internet email. Personal email addresses are not discoverable from STF. I have never had any complaints about any abusive email or asked to intervene.

Perhaps you could provide more information by starting a topic/complaint in Town Asylum or writing to me privately.

Admin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

MrsSJME wrote:As a friend of Mrs E, I was very shocked to hear that when she last tried to log in, she found that her password didn't match her username. She then clicked to say she had forgotten her password, only for a screen to pop up to say her account was inactive!

......hummmmm.....freedom of speech........unless people don't like what you say.
On the few (too few?) occasions posts are removed or people banned I undertook to say so and I always do. The absence of any comment might suggest I had not. Indeed I had not.

It is true when I just checked that Mrs.E's account was inactive. I do not know why. I have re-activated it. I would be grateful if people could please first check with me whether I did indeed intervene or not before damming me for something not done or done.

Sigh, what a wonderful start to my Italian holiday. Weather glorious here and no sirens. How is it there?

Admin
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Ulysses wrote:Out of interest bensonby, what situation would call for a Police helicopter?
Almost any offence where the helicopter is available and there is believed to be an outstanding suspect from a recent offence in a relatively small, contained, area...

Ironically, I suppose, there is a greater chance of success at night. I don't know if a greater use of it is made at night though. After all, one bloke running around, say, Wells Park at 0200 after a mugging in Wells Park Rd at 0145 is going to stick out rather more than a person running around the park at 1400...

But, to answer your point, off the top of my head I've (personally) known the helicopter to be deployed after muggings, burglaries, car chases, rapes, firearms offences, large scale public order situation and for searching for cannabis factorie.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

muggings, burglaries, car chases, rapes, firearms offences, large scale public order situation and for searching for cannabis factorie.
That is an impressive C.V. you have there, Bensonby! :-)

Regards
Chris