The Dolphin

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Miserableold-ish git

Post by Miserableold-ish git »

"Troll" ?
As you may have noticed, I'm pretty new to this Internet thingy, Is that a rude or (injoke) nice thing to call people ?

<trimmed by admin>
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Ah, so it's Greg is it? I'm looking forward to meeting him.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

nork1 wrote:
Ulysses wrote:Counted about 50+ in The Dolphin on Friday night and even more on Sunday lunchtime. Indeed based on a cursory glance through the windows as I walk past each evening Weds/Thurs/Fri/Sat evening sees most tables within view packed. The Golden Lion had one fella smoking outside looking unsteady on his feet. He was joined by two others on Friday night so it must have been happy hour.

I'm no expert but I'd imagine the fact that The Dolphin was emptyish at 2.30 on a Tuesday afternoon probably tells you that their regulars have jobs?... :lol:
So Greg, you can walk past a mainly glass fronted pub and estimate that it's more popular by the fact that you can actually see (by your estimation) 50+ punters but dismiss a pub with 3 small windows (which afford NO view inside) as unpopular becuase the customers aren't visible. Well done, I'm impressed. Your powers of observation are astounding.
I walked past The Ivy last week and couldn't see ANYONE inside but a cursory glance at McDonalds in Lewisham, well, it was packed.
My experience didn't prove anything apart from the fact I can see through windows.
What's your point Greg? Are you trying to say you drink in a superior establishment and those who drink elsewhere are somehow unworthy and beneath you?
Please clarify. I'm sure the whole of the STF would be interested to hear what you've got to say before I get banned for daring to question you.
Allow me to explain nork1. If you are indeed even around to read it.

I was acutally in The Dolphin on Friday night and Sunday lunchtime...so no estimation/X-ray specs needed. It might have been slightly less than 50, it might have been slightly more. At any rate, the place was packed...as it generally is at the times I mentioned which is when I tend to go in.

I call these the 'expected' times and I certainly wouldn't expect The Dolphin to be packed on Tuesday at 2.30PM, or anywhere for that matter. I've no idea how The Dolphin fares on weekday lunchtimes. It's on the main thoroughfare to and from places so even if I'm not popping in you can see and make a guestimate through those huge glass windows. No need for outstanding powers of observation here...

As for The Golden Lion, one of the punters opened up the main doors as he went back inside. I sneeked a peek and saw lots of tumbleweed...

Might I suggest posting after a few jars isn't neccesarily recommended?

<trimmed by admin>
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Since smoking ban The GL has become an OK to go again. It was terrible in the smoking years.
Dolphin I think is nicer but both pubs OK to visit.
Apart from The Windmill I would say the only decent pubs from top of Kirkdale to bottom of Sydenham Rd.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Yes, the Dolphin is 'nice'. How many Dolphinites are getting commission?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sadly I have not received any remuneration from The Dolphin and I doubt whether I'll have one on the house tonight at the Golden Lion's Blues Night.

I've removed one posting and trimmed some others 'cos it was getting a bit nasty. I know its difficult when you feel got at not to respond in kind but its a turn off for everybody else. So be nice please!
Miserableold-ish git

Post by Miserableold-ish git »

Apologies to all if I've said or done something wrong.
As I said at the beginning I like the idea of different Pubs/Gastropubs,etc.
I haven't slagged off the Dolphin at all, just saying its not for me. I've never noticed the "Tumbleweed" in The Lion, nor it being "Empty" on a Friday night. Unlike other posters......
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Miserableold-ish git, here's a definition of a internet troll...

http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/troll.htm

Basically don't feed 'em. Good editing Admin.