Kirkdale Bookshop 24 Hour Challenge

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
fishcox

Kirkdale Bookshop 24 Hour Challenge

Post by fishcox »

I would like to think that everyone who visits this forum also makes an effort to keep our local businesses busy.

For those of you who do not know, we have one of the best independent bookshops on our doorstep, Kirkdale Books.

Tragically, at Christmas, Penny Brindley - who worked in the bookshop, died suddenly.

In her memory, and as part of the 'Get London Reading Campaign' the bookshop is holding a 24 Hour reading challenge, and using this as an opportunity to raise funds for Farm Africa.

In the bookshop, from 9am on Saturday March 4, through to 9am on Sunday March 5, customers, visitors and staff are invited to take part (in 15 minute time slots) in the reading of Peter Ackroyd's 'London-The Biography'.

If you cannot actually take part in the reading itself, then you can go along and listen, and donate. They are particularly looking for anyone who can contribute to the hours between 9pm on the Saturday, and 9am on Sunday.

For those who have never read, or heard of, the book, it is a fascinating and entertaining book, with information and facts about this amazing city of ours.

You can either call in to the shop, or call them on 020 8778 4701.

It's the perfect opportunity for those who cant run 10km for St Christophers Hospice, to do something equally beneficial, and make the world just that little bit better.
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Sorry to if I sound a little stupid, but will we be reciting or just reading the book for our own amusement?
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Reading it out loud to anyone who happens to be in the shop (I think!).

Alternatively, you could just sit there and read it to yourself, the idea of which I find quite amusing.
Cod

Post by Cod »

Any news on which slots are filled, Fishy?
I'm working an early on the Saturday and a night on the Sunday night. To get ready for my night shift, I'll be awake very late and willing to fill a gap in the witching hour / early morning shifts. Should I approach the shop proprietors themselves?
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Yes - Geraldine who runs the bookshop has got a chart with vacancies - lots in the small hours! She will be thrilled to have a volunteer like you, cod.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

24 hour reading challenge about to begin!

If you haven't already signed up to read for 15 minutes during the next 24 hours why not pop in to the shop and volunteer for a stint? Alternatively give them a call on 8778 4701.

Donations collected will go to Farm Africa in memory of Penny Brindley who worked in the shop for 12 years and who died very suddenly last Boxing Day.