Are trains running?!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Gaz

Are trains running?!

Post by Gaz »

I'm on my way to Waterloo and the snow is 4 inches deep here. Can someone please confirm if Southern are running a normal service from london bridge-i should be at waterloo at 2315... Thanks for any help! Gaz
simon

Post by simon »

According to their site everything running to time but its snowing heavily here Gaz.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

good luck getting back, can anyone post on this thread if they hear if the trains aren't running?
hdekretser

Post by hdekretser »

My partner (reluctantly) caught the 7.09 ok. Looks like the odd cancellation though.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

On thing they are saying on the news is there's more snow to come (5cm +) so getting back might be more of a problem tonight!

On the platform, there are delays (8.08 by 40mins!), starting to get busy. Blimey a train just pulled up and I got a seat, amazing.
Katebubble

Post by Katebubble »

Got the train at 8.40 but I think it may have been the 7.53! Packedamundo as well!

I agree, it's not the coming in but getting back from London Bridge which may be the issue. Oh snow, snow, snow. National Rail website has a very useful Live Departures board which will let you know if there are any delays and also which platform to go to!
Pumpkin

early train

Post by Pumpkin »

I left extra early today, only to watch a train leave the platform as I pass the barrier (boo hoo).

caught the 7.45 train that was only delayed by 5minutes. the worry is getting home. if its anything like that made tuesday before xmas, when the whole london bridge concorse was filled with people waiting for the same train, then really have no hope!!!
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Thanks for the reply Simon - I got home ok by changing at Clapham (just in front of the heavy snow by the looks of it, it had laid about 2 inches by the time we got to Syd).

Anyone in town tonight trying to get back be warned that Southern have started to cancel some of the stops. Here's the latest info at 1645 (LB to Syd):

DESTINATION PLATFORM TIMETABLE EXPECTED OPERATOR TRAIN
DETAILS
Guildford Not stopping at Sydenham 10 16:45 Starts here Southern Details
London Victoria via Crystal Palace 16:54 Cancelled Southern Details
West Croydon Not stopping at Sydenham 13 17:05 Starts here Southern Details
Guildford 13 17:19 Starts here Southern Details
London Victoria via Crystal Palace 8 17:25 Starts here Southern Details
West Croydon 12 17:35 Starts here Southern Details
London Victoria via Crystal Palace 17:55 Starts here Southern Details
West Croydon 18:05 Starts here Southern Details
London Victoria via Crystal Palace 18:24 Starts here Southern Details
West Croydon 18:34 Starts here Southern Details
Last edited by Gaz on 6 Jan 2010 17:08, edited 1 time in total.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

The 1624 from London Bridge has just pulled away. Luckily for us the second stop is Sydders. It's going fast from New Cross Gate to Sydders. Not everyone on the train is pleased with this (as you can imagine) and I fear it MIGHT be the last one to stop at us as things are getting heavy.

My advice is to be patient, be prepared to alter your route and cross everything!
Pumpkin

Post by Pumpkin »

You were lucky. I was on the earlier train (about 4.05) it stopped at new cross gate then norwood juntion. a bunch of people had to get the train back to get to our various stops.

a train about just gone just before 4 broke down at or around brockley hence the problem.

if you have not left central london, really recommend you do not hang around.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Looked like two trains on the line between Brockley and Forest Hill, so the first stop was Sydenham.

The weird thing was that there were no announcements either at London Bridge, or on the train, so there were lots of disgruntled Brocklians and Honor Oak Parkians.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

I was on the 15.45 from LB this evening which was the train stuck behind the broken down train. Ended up getting off at Honor Oak and walking to Syd - which really was quite nice in the crisp white snow - made the most of it as it aint gonna be nice tomorrow :shock: :shock: :shock:
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

at ten to 6 last night we were told that there was a train struggling to get power at FH, so we'd go to NCG, and then fast to Sydenham, and anyone wanting the other three stops should change at Sydenham and go back the other way.

oddly enough there didn't appear to be a stuck train at FH, and yet my wife got told the same thing half an hour later, and someone else I know sat on a train for half an hour before being told that there was no driver! which then did stop at FH (but that was two hours later)
Tasha

Are Trains running?

Post by Tasha »

Hi, I was actually on the broken down train (15.35) last night for 3 HOURS. Left work at 15.20 in the hope of being home maybe within the hour :roll: and eventually arriving home at 18.55! The train had problems once it had passed New Cross Gate because of the icy track and the inclines on the way to Forest Hill. The wheels kept spinning and SLOWLY, correction - VERY SLOWLY made it's way eventually to Forest Hill. Well, at least the first 3 Coaches did! Passengers in the 4th coach had to walk through the train to get off after the driver had to manually open the doors because the train simply couldn't go any further. The driver did keep us informed throughout the journey and whenever he had to stop the train was actually sliding back down the incline. After a while he had to reset the motor (or something like that - quite a few times) and the engine was over heating. My husband was on a train that was waiting for the driver and I think it eventaully left at 16.35 or thereabouts. His train sped past mine, as did many others because they were obviously aware by then of the problem. It wasn't the drivers fault, in fact I've been on a few trains that have been delayed for whatever reason and have never been given any reason or explanation, so at least we were aware of what was happening. Luckily I only had to get to Sydenham so my son was able to pick me up from Forest Hill. I didn't want to chance being stuck on the train any longer. After all, it is usually only a 20-25 minute journey. Not really looking forward to the journey home tonight as the powers that be where I work haven't given permission for us to leave early yet :lol: , which they did yesterday, so I'm wondering what time I will arrive home tonight????????????? :?
Marathon

Post by Marathon »

Trains running in both directions from Sydenham this morning but with delays despite this 'unseasonal' weather! Actually I'm quite impressed with southern for once. Most trains to LB seem to be unaffected at least at 7.30 today.
Marathon

Post by Marathon »

Trains running in both directions from Sydenham this morning but with delays despite this 'unseasonal' weather! Actually I'm quite impressed with southern for once. Most trains to LB seem to be unaffected at least at 7.30 today.
poulet

Post by poulet »

Penge East (Orpington bound) is a dead loss though - apparently a train is broken down on line. Waited for 45 minutes and now home to warm up in the hope it gets better...

Trains into London seemed just as bad, but at least the line wasn't blocked as fast trains were going through
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Many trains into LB are running very late with short-notice cancellations and there were lots of people on the platforms who couldn't squeeze on this morning.

I got on a train at 0855 (no idea what train this was as the 0851 was due at 0915 and the 0840 was cancelled). This eventually arrived at LB around 10am due to all the trains queuing to get into the station (which was operating a one-in one-out policy).

I'd appreciate it if people could post any relevant info on the Syd bound services later on (i.e. should I try to persuade the manager to let us go early? - Many of the boogers here live NE and Essex way so hadn't been affected by the latest flurry..!).

Ta

Gaz
Pumpkin

Post by Pumpkin »

from sydenham it was a squeeze, but everyone got one...overcrowding was later done the line.

the annoying thing was that the platform was so snow covered and no attempt was being made to clear it. granted, there were a lot of people around! all the same, was quite impressed when the train pulled in at honor oak and an attendent on the other side was using a snow spade-thing to clear the platform!! well done to him!!
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Slighty off topic about the trains running, but I was really appalled when a chap had to ask two or three times if someone would mind giving up their seat as their was an unwell lady standing up who needed it. She eventually got one in the middle of the carriage! I just hope that the persons who heard the man and just stared are never in need of a seat when they feel unwell :evil: