Late night Oyster

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
dickp

Late night Oyster

Post by dickp »

So, picture this:

You're travelling from London to Sydenham, fairly late at night.

The station is closed, but the side gate next to it is open.

If you're travelling on Oyster PAYG, do you have to cross to the London-bound platform to touch out, because you cannot physically access the Oyster readers on the Croydon-bound platform? Or do you not have to touch out in such circumstances?
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

I had to do this last night to avoid paying the penalty of maximum fare for not touching out. Stupid state of affairs. Next time, I shan't bother to touch in at London Bridge; the gates are often open late at night.

The rollout of Oyster PAYG at Sydenham has been totally bungled. You can't top up an Oyster at the station, but you can do so in the shop just over the bridge. The station staff are unable to diagnose the problem when your Oyster swipe results in a red light and a closed barrier. I would email TfL about their diabolical lack of planning, but given the lack of a response to my query about why the platform was still an ice rink last week, I don't think I'll waste my time.

TfL don't half take the p*ss out of their customers.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Chazza:

Exactly the same just happened to my daughter. Bonkers. The SydSoc Roads and Transport Sub committee is working on getting a meeting with someone who will accept any degree of responsibility for this ...
jmc

Re: Late night Oyster

Post by jmc »

dickp wrote:If you're travelling on Oyster PAYG, do you have to cross to the London-bound platform to touch out, because you cannot physically access the Oyster readers on the Croydon-bound platform? Or do you not have to touch out in such circumstances?
You have to 'touch out' and end your journey, otherwise you will pay the 'daily cap'. The way in which Oyster charges for journeys is different from what you might expect.

When you started your journey by 'touching in' at London Bridge your Oyster had £6:30 deducted (This is the off-peak daily Oyster cap)
When you 'touch out' at Sydenham, your fare is calculated and a refund for the difference is put on your card.

There is a lot of confusion about how the automatic deduction of daily caps work when there are different peak and off-peak caps.

Have a look at the following discussion on the Virtual Norwood website
Last edited by jmc on 10 Jan 2010 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

jmc wrote: When you started your journey by 'touching in' at London Bridge your Oyster had £6:30 deducted (This is the off-peak daily Oyster cap)
When you 'touch out' at Sydenham, your fare is calculated and a refund for the difference is put on your card.
so what happens if you only have enough credit on the card for one single journey back to sydenham?
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

My understanding is that your Oyster balance is able to go below zero pounds - i.e. negative balance.
AD

Post by AD »

Hello all, I am a new member. I emailed TFL re the fact you cannot tap your Oyster out late at night, and also rang the Oyster helpline. On Wednesday evening returning to Sydenham at approx 11pm the gates were open, although unmanned but you can still tap out! Good news, lets hope they remain open
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

AD wrote:Hello all, I am a new member. I emailed TFL re the fact you cannot tap your Oyster out late at night, and also rang the Oyster helpline. On Wednesday evening returning to Sydenham at approx 11pm the gates were open, although unmanned but you can still tap out! Good news, lets hope they remain open
Welcome to the forum, AD. When you say the 'gates were open', do you mean on the London-bound platform or the Croydon-bound platform?

I ask because dickp's concern is, I think, that you can't touch out on the Croydon-bound platform after the ticket office building has closed. Instead, you have to cross the footbridge and touch out on the gates on the London-bound platform, which for people living east of the station is inconvenient. Or is the ticket office buiding now open until the last train has departed?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I don't use oyster, but I'm pretty sure the ticket office building is open late at night...
AD

Post by AD »

The ticket office on the Croyden bound platform was open.
alywin

Post by alywin »

jmc wrote:When you started your journey by 'touching in' at London Bridge your Oyster had £6:30 deducted (This is the off-peak daily Oyster cap)

There is a lot of confusion about how the automatic deduction of daily caps work when there are different peak and off-peak caps.
You're telling me - it's something of a nightmare so far. I've already been clobbered once for, late at night, forgetting (it was the first time I'd used it, only a few days into January) that I needed to touch out too at my local station, where the validators aren't even in your direct line of sight between the train door and the exit. TFL must be going to make a fortune out of this - think of all those drunk people coming back from London on Friday and Saturday nights - do you think many of them are going to remember about touching out? Add to that the fact that TFL couldn't even get their act together sufficiently to produce suitable leaflets to introduce all us newbies to the complexities of the card in time ...

I'm seriously considering abandoning my Oyster for the return journey and buying a paper ticket - I don't know what the price difference is, but it might be worth it to make sure I don't get overcharged on the way home.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

It appears that the ticket office at Sydenham and FH stations is to be left open until the last train, so that Oyster PAYG passengers can "touch out" at the ticket barriers. According to the guy in charge at Sydenham, it was because "someone had written to TfL."

Probably more than one 'someone' but some of them were clearly the Sydenham Society and Forest Hill Societies.

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/tn/Ne ... =Commuters
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Many thanks to Syd Soc, the FHS and anyone else who contacted TfL.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

alywin wrote:think of all those drunk people coming back from London on Friday and Saturday nights - do you think many of them are going to remember about touching out?

Well they shouldn't be using the railway when drunk anyway should they?! :wink:

Railway Bylaw 4.(1)
No person in a state of intoxication shall enter or remain on the railway.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Oh dear, looks like I've been breaking the law all these years! I would be interested in seeing how this gets enforced at about 11:30pm on a Friday night.

Thank you as ever Bensonby for your detailed knowledge of all those obscure bits of law.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Bensonby: Does this bylaw apply to all railways (London Overground, Underground, Tramlink and trams and other non-National Rail operations?)

BTW had a delightful ride on the Dartford SouthEastern line last Sunday. Accompanied by two lager swilling gentlemen discussing the appropriate punishment for someone who had grassed one up with juicy anecdotes. I particulary remember the enforcer who "never uses his hands, always a weapon". Shotguns were the preferred option but a wrap across the knuckles with a bicycle chain was used to attract attention.

Someone I know who uses that line regulary wears a kevlar stab vest. Available on fleabay apparently. Makes our Southern service/oyster issues seem quite genteel ...

Stuart
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Thomas wrote:Oh dear, looks like I've been breaking the law all these years! I would be interested in seeing how this gets enforced at about 11:30pm on a Friday night.

Thank you as ever Bensonby for your detailed knowledge of all those obscure bits of law.

not obscure at all.....indeed, it's a bit of a duplication of a law as it is, after all, illegal to be drunk in any public place courtesy of s.9 of the licensing act 1872.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

stuart wrote:Bensonby: Does this bylaw apply to all railways (London Overground, Underground, Tramlink and trams and other non-National Rail operations?)
I believe operating companies have the right to set bylaws. However, as far as I am aware they all basically follow the same set of bylaws. Some just choose to exercise different powers etc. (such as banning alcohol on the tube)

So the simple answer is 'yes'...
stuart

Post by stuart »

bensonby wrote:I believe operating companies have the right to set bylaws. However, as far as I am aware they all basically follow the same set of bylaws.
So it might be legal to be drunk on a LOROL platform but become illegal when I step/fall into a Southern carriage?

Stuart
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

well. Not really, seeing as it's an offence to be drunk in a public place anyway...