Pot holes and pavements

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
floom

Post by floom »

leenewham: Lets tax pedestians, they cross roads and therefore are road users.

Rubbish. Pedestrians do not have a right to use the roads. They can only use them when they have to cross them, or when there is no pavement, as in country lanes, etc.

Let's face it, if pedestrians started walking down roads, the cyclists would be the first to start whining about it!

If you're not prepared to pay towards road upkeep, don't moan about bad roads.

As for paying council tax, etc., pedestrians do the same. Does that mean pedestriand can saunter along roads - yes or no?
stuart

Post by stuart »

floom wrote:If you're not prepared to pay towards road upkeep, don't moan about bad roads.
Paying for road upkeep is not a choice. If you pay council tax or income tax - you are paying for the roads like it or not. "No taxation without representation" suggests we all can and should complain when they are unwisely spent/unspent.

I may add that a pedestrian has a right (in most places) to cross a road or use it. Remember many roads do not have pavements and pavements get blocked by cars. A motor vehicle and driver are only licensed to use a public highway. It is not a right. A driver should give way/allow room for a pedestrian on the road. If not the license may be revoked.

Stuart
spanishsydenhamgirl

Post by spanishsydenhamgirl »

floom wrote
If you're not prepared to pay towards road upkeep, don't moan about the roads.
I'm confused. Is it cycling non doms who are the problem?
DanW

Re: Pot holes and pavements

Post by DanW »

At long last, it looks like work is being carried out on Wells Park Rd. Heavy machinery was parked up over the weekend, and all the workmen there this morning.....
multisync

Post by multisync »

About time I began to feel that the buses had square wheels,are they doing the entire road?
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Sorry to butt in, and I have no idea how much of Wells Park rd they're going to dig up. But you'd be better off asking one of the workmen or their foreman, as they're legally obliged to tell you.
DanW

Post by DanW »

multisync wrote:About time I began to feel that the buses had square wheels,are they doing the entire road?
They're working from the junction of Wells Park Road and Kirkdale to the parade of shops up by Peter's Path Estate at the moment, that section of road is currently closed. Not sure if they'll finish that section first then move up past the park.

Dan
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

many yoof would avoid paying cyclist road tax by riding a bicycle not registered to them, and by cycling on the pavement.
I am sure Chazza is a profficient cyclist, but many of the yoof who ride on our pavements do not have a driving licence, or even probably ownership of the vehicle they are riding.

off-topic, i know
multisync

Post by multisync »

Sure is!!
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

ALIB wrote:I am sure Chazza is a profficient cyclist, but many of the yoof who ride on our pavements do not have a driving licence, or even probably ownership of the vehicle they are riding.
:D this comment just popped into my inbox and my first thought was, "I haven't commented on that thread, Ali B must think of me as the Greatest Cyclist In Sydenham!". Disappointngly, a quick scan back to page one reveals that this is in response to my mooting of a cyclists' road tax - which is something I suggested with tongue firmly in cheek :)

I also realise that I never responded to floom and other members of the anti-people-riding-bikes brigade. Given that I'm a healthy person, with no kids, who started university after 1998 and holds down full-time employment in Docklands (I'm not a banker - I just sell stuff to them), I'm really not much of a drain on the nation's finances*. I'm confident that I pay more than enough tax in a year to cover all of the wear and tear that I (don't) cause when riding my bike on the roads.

* - if someone wants to make a point along the lines of "the state paid for your schooling" or "you were born in a NHS hospital" to suggest that I'm getting great value for my tax pennies, start a new thread :wink: