Charity collection at Sydenham station on Tuesday 16th March

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
bpark

Charity collection at Sydenham station on Tuesday 16th March

Post by bpark »

This morning I was approached by women collecting money for a 'special school' at Sydenham Station. I declined to give them any money (simply as I had none on me) and was then shouted at with surprising vigour by the ladies collecting.

I wasn't inclined to hang around to be shouted at more after that, so went into the station to get the train. I noticed they were handing out flyers as well, but didn't see one.

Does anyone know which school they were collecting for? Did anyone have a similar experience?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

It sounds like they were breaking the regulations under section 5 of the Police, Factories, & c. (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916 :!:
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

There is an interesting little wrinkle about collecting/pamphleting by Sydenham Station, At the time of the election for Mayor of London my wife was promoting Ken, and I was there to show solidarity (which, since I am a reluctant but resolute Tory, was very noble of me). We were informed by the station staff that you cannot be on the pavement outside the station without permission, since that is railway property, as is half the width of the road. You can actually see a slight difference in the surfacing on the two halves of the road. So you have to stay on the 'council' side.

It made no difference. Boris got in. I am not crazy about Boris either :(

Regards
Chris
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

you need permission to collect for charity wherever you are. On Railway Property it has to come from the railway company. On public streets and so on you need the permission of the Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis. (cf. the act I quoted above)
bigbadwolf

Re: Charity collection at Sydenham station on Tuesday 16th M

Post by bigbadwolf »

This morning I was approached by women collecting money for a 'special school' at Sydenham Station.

Who were they collecting for, the school of hard knocks?
alywin

Post by alywin »

I had a similar experience in Bromley, and outside Beckenham Sainsbury's, a few months ago. Not sure whether they were collecting for a special school, but they certainly got quite shouty at people, which probably didn't do anything to improve their takings. Wonder if it was the same people?