Missing Post

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Willy

Missing Post

Post by Willy »

Has anyone else experienced post not arriving? I ordered some goods from a website that have failed to turn up and this isn't the first time (reported and under investigation).

I have also just found out that someone opened an account at very.co.uk in my name and ordered a Blackberry but it was stopped as the company thought it was suspicious. What I find strange is that the delivery address was for my address so the only way it could be intercepted would be from within the post office.....
pip

Post by pip »

Hi Willy.
I got the same letter from VERY a couple of weeks ago and so did three friends of mine who also live in the Sydenham area. Then advised to contact the CIFAS and pay £10.00 to get a credit rating.
Obviously VERY suspicious.
More likely Just a scam or possibly they rumbled a dodgy DHL delivery driver.
Willy

Post by Willy »

At least I'm not alone! :D
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Had very similar experience with their associated company CHOICE.

Someone managed to get my name, address and date of birth on the internet. They opened an account using my name and address (NOT giving a landline number) and had their first order a TV (worth over £1000) sent to another address about 5 minutes away in Hensford Gardens, Wells Park Road. After successfully receiving the TV they then ordered a Laptop. this too was delivered there.

When I contacted CHOICE you would have thought I was the criminal and they made all the threats about my address being blacklisted and in future no company will deliver to it etc etc. They also wanted me to pay for a credit check etc.

I sent them a snotty letter threatening legal action and requesting compensation. I would strongly advise that you do similar as it worked for me.

Here is an extract from the letter I sent :-

Dear XXXXXXX

Re: Account Number XXXXX Your Reference XXXXXXX

Thank you for your letter dated XXXXX that I received one week later, on XXXXX.
Although I accept that is not your fault that someone managed to obtain my name, address and date of birth, which lets be fair is not that difficult to get; I feel it is totally your fault that the situation has now arisen where a marker will be placed against my address and no doubt my name.
Unless I get compensation to recover all my costs and time with a satisfactory explanation and response from you, I intend to seek legal action against your company for gross incompetence and negligence.
In this day and age I find in totally incomprehensible that your organisation would allow any person to open an account without doing any proper credit or security check. I find in even more unbelievable that you were foolish enough to not only to let them open an account with you with no real check (just my name and address and date of birth), but to also place an order and deliver it. Their first order placed was for a TV (no doubt about £1000.00) which you agreed and then they arranged with you to have their very first order delivered to a totally different address from the account holder’s address. It really beggars belief!

With the way your organisation has acted it is not surprising there is so much identity theft about, it seems as if you encourage it. From what you told me it appears that as long as they give a name and address and date of birth you would allow them to open an account and deliver items to another address. Would it have been that difficult to get a home telephone number from them?

It now appears through no fault of my own due to your incompetence and totally negligence that apart from my address being blacklisted and all the inconvenience, I will have to pay out money (to CIFAS and to get a credit check on myself) to get this matter resolved.

In your letter you say ‘we are committed in doing all we can to prevent fraud...................’ well I have listed below a catalogue of errors which show that you are not committed.

1 Firstly you let someone open a new account without any real identity check - no credit card or bank card check, you did not even ask for a copy of a utility bill or similar.
2 You never even took details of their landline telephone number.
3 Their first order you allowed them to order was for an expensive electrical item (TV).
4 Then you delivered this expensive electrical item to a different address from where the account holder was supposed to have lived.
5 Following further orders placed with you, which once again you delivered to a different address, you then suspected that there was something suspicious and no doubt thought this might be a case of Identity Theft. You then sent me a letter by SECOND CLASS mail, which took a week to get here, asking me to ring you. Why didn’t you attempt to ring me, my number is clearly listed in the phone book and also is available on the internet.
6 After ringing you and having to pay for the call charges, I am told that the only details you have about me given by the person using my identity, is my name, address and date of birth and a mobile number that does not work!
7 When I spoke to you I gave you more instances where I thought your organisation had acted incompetent and shown negligent, this included using second class mail on a serious issue to contact me. I was told by you that it would be investigated why it was sent second class mail and you would be writing to me. I then received your letter one week later, needless to say this was also sent by second class mail.

I think you would agree that there have been serious failures by your company and I look forward to hearing from you regarding the compensation I am going to receive from you to recover all my costs and inconvenience.

Yours sincerely
Willy

Post by Willy »

So did it work? What was the outcome? Seems a bit harsh that you have to pay £10 for CIFAS, Very told me they would do it for me and there was no mention of me paying £10 to anyone...
richpickings

Post by richpickings »

Willy, exactly the same happened to me.
I got a letter from Very asking me to contact them. When I did, they told me that someone had tried to set up an account in my name ad had ordered about £700 worth of electrical goods (which was what had made them suspicious). They hadn't provided any banking details just my name, address and date of birth. Like you, the goods were due to be delivered to my address which I thought was very strange. Perhaps, as the same thing happened to you, it was ordered by someone who has the ability to intercept the local postal service?

Anyway Very were really good. They immediately stopped the order and made a note on my credit files that says that I have been the victim of ID theft. They assured me that this won't affect my credit rating, but it may just mean that I will have to go through extra security checks. They also sent me a letter explaining everything. I was most impressed by how they dealt with it all
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

I have been a victim too. A Blackberry and a Nokia were 'delivered' to my address and 'signed for'. Obviously not us!

Very dealt with it brilliantly and basically did/said the same as richpickings has posted.

What puzzles me, is that someone signed for the parcels 'delivered' to this address. Dodgy courier? Dodgy Post Office staff?

Whatever the answer - outrageous and upsetting.

:?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I had some samples delivered to me in the post for a job I'm working on and it had been opened and the samples were not there (but they left the covering letter). It had clearly been opened by someone.
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

This happened to my mother, her Abbey Cheque book was stolen in the post. The next few days later someone tried a number of times to withdraw hundreds of pounds from her account. It could even be the same person who stole your items. It messed up her account and Abbey tried to blame her for the accident then wouldn't let her get another Cheque book from that account again.