WHERE DO YOU GO?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

When you shop or eat out, do you stay local or travel elsewhere?
I shop at the big sainsburys or Waitrose/M&S Beckenham for niceties. For forgotten items and top ups I go local.
I eat out both locally in Sydenham and up town / other local areas just for variety really

If you go elsewhere, where do you go.
Up town for the buzz of the unexpected encounter (?!) and people watching and for high end food. Beckenham and CP, occaisionally

How often do you eat out a week?
Twice usually but hoping to increase that

What's your perception of Crystal Palace?
There are some good restaurants but the only bar I like is the basement at Numidie which has a great atmosphere and fantastic bar staff. The White Horse is ok too as is the basement bar at the Exhibition Rooms but CP wouldnt be my preferred hop - I think I would rather do E Dulwich.

What's your perception of Sydenham?
I think despite the recession there have been some really positive indicators. I think the Dolphin is a great pub but you really need more than one good watering hole so you can do a a little tour for a proper night out on the tiles. The rumour of a fishmonger is great news.

Do you go to Beckenham to the cinema or travel into london to see a film? Beckenham or up town, equal split - but I rarely go
dickp

Post by dickp »

Shopping in Sydenham - good grief no. What does it have to offer? I mainly shop in town, Croydon or Bromley. Or Derby. Or Milton Keynes, Watford, Kingston, or wherever I happen to be near at the time.

Food shopping is at Waitrose Beckenham, Sainsbury's Sydenham, Tesco Kirkdale, M&S at London Bridge, local shops in Sydenham and Penge. Or Amersham, if I happen to be in the area.

Probably once.

A darn sight better than Sydenham. Better restaurants and shops, edgy / funky rather than dowdy.

High street - shabby. Housing stock - not bad.

Do you go to Beckenham to the cinema or travel into london to see a film?
Beckenham seats are cramped, and it gets too hot in summer. I don't care if it's listed - sort it out. Otherwise, I'll take my money to a multiplex.
user1000

Post by user1000 »

You talk like Marlene Dietrich
And you dance like Zizi Jeanmaire
Your clothes are all made by Balmain
And there’s diamonds and pearls in your hair, yes there are.

You live in a fancy apartment
Off the Boulevard of St. Michel
Where you keep your Rolling Stones records
And a friend of Sacha Distel, yes you do.

You go to the embassy parties
Where you talk in Russian and Greek
And the young men who move in your circles
They hang on every word you speak, yes they do.

But where do you go to my lovely
When you're alone in your bed
Tell me the thoughts that surround you
I want to look inside your head, yes i do.

I've seen all your qualifications
You got from the Sorbonne
And the painting you stole from Picasso
Your loveliness goes on and on, yes it does.

When you go on your summer vacation
You go to Juan-les-Pines
With your carefully designed topless swimsuit
You get an even suntan, on your back and on your legs.

And when the snow falls you're found in St. Moritz
With the others of the jet-set
And you sip your Napoleon Brandy
But you never get your lips wet, no you don't.

would you Tell me the thoughts that surround you
I want to look inside your head, yes I do.

You're in between 20 and 30
A very desirable age
Your body is firm and inviting
But you live on a glittering stage, yes you do, yes you do.

Your name is heard in high places
You know the Aga Khan
He sent you a racehorse for Christmas
And you keep it just for fun, for a laugh ha-ha-ha

They say that when you get married
It'll be to a millionaire
But they don't realize where you came from
And I wonder if they really care, or give a damn

Tell me the thoughts that surround you
I want to look inside your head, yes i do.

I remember the back streets of Naples
Two children begging in rags
Both touched with a burning ambition
To shake off their lowly brown tags, they try

So look into my face Marie-Claire
And remember just who you are
Then go and forget me forever
But I know you still bear
the scar, deep inside, yes you do

I know where you go to my lovely
I know the thoughts that surround you
`Cause I can look inside your head.

Groceries - mainly Beckenham Waitrose,
otherwise Sainsburys at crystal Palace,
bell green or forest hill.
Odd items from the high street
if others not an option.

Eating out - don't often but current
favourite local place is Numidie
in Crystal Palace.
Dolphin also good and sometimes
visit Dulwich Wood house.
A good local indian takeaway
is Gurkhas tiffin, though I think
its changed name to
Royal tiffin, v v good takeaway.

Cinema - visit Beckenham Odeon
approx once per month or so.
V occasionally cinema in town.
Go to the theatre quite often -
Brockley Jack The National
and the bush most frequently.

:D
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Thinking about it, there are loads of fantastic businesses in Sydenham Road, we just need more of them to compliment exisitng shops. Hopefully someone can try and make this happen.

As a side issue i notice the Co-op (food) opened in Lordship Lane today (at the old Somerfield) to a great fanfare (balloons, new shop front put up overnight etc). I realise there is currently some consumer resistance to Supermarket monopolies, but like it or not, they are an indicator, or even catalyst, to bringing in quality businesses to the locale.
I was wonderig when Sydenhams Somerfield would get the same kind of re-opening.?

Driving down Lordship Lane this morning, I was also thinking about the Sainburys that opened recently next to The Plough, and I was looking at local businesses along 'the strip'. They have a good mix of quality shops and businesses to cater for upper and lower ends of the market.

Strangely enough, i didn't notice any 'pound' shops, mobile phone/money transfer shops, empty shop fronts. etc.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

We don't really have pound shops.

They are general stores that look like pound shops.

A great deal of what they sell is more than £1. I believe there are one of two places in East Dulwich which are similar. They just look better.

East Dulwich still has chicken places, betting shops, greasy spoons etc. It has a bit of everything for everyone except pubs (they all seem to be gastro pubs) and a great little market and friendly antiques/curios store at the weekend. It's a nice place to be. North Cross Road has lots of similar stores all together like being in an open air supermarket. It's a well thought out, well planned high street. And from feedback on these and other forums it attracts people from other areas. Sydenham Road gets a big FAIL on this front.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

East Dulwich still has chicken places, betting shops, greasy spoons etc. It has a bit of everything for everyone except pubs (they all seem to be gastro pubs) and a great little market and friendly antiques/curios store at the weekend.
It also has an incredibly pretentious - thus c_ntish - 'farm shop' called Franklins that is still keeping up the tradition of highway robbery. But there's one born everyday in east Dulwich. So good luck to 'em.
girl_canuck

Post by girl_canuck »

I'm all for spending more money on groceries for better quality and organic.... but that Franklin's place in East Dulwich really does take the p!$$.

Whenever we're in Dulwich, we go in there to have a laugh at the prices. Who pays that kind of money!?! Sometimes we even try to reenact the Harry and Paul sketches of "I saw you coming". Brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trB5CSDmf1E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVvcD4Czx4Y

Groceries - Ocado delivery, Riverford Veg Box delivery, Sydenham Sainsbury's

Eating out - Mostly just Tratt Raff - we don't eat out that often, and Tratt Raff is the best and so close to home. Oh, sometimes Wahaca at Charing Cross.

We go to East Dulwich quite often - mostly Green and Blue or Liquorish.

We probably eat out once a fortnight. Never takeaways.

Crystal Palace - Never been there. I went to a Crystal Palace football game once, and there were some pretty rough people there! That's sort of tarnished my image, I guess.

It's okay. Sometimes it can be intimidating at night. It's got some real gems, and seems to have a community feel, but I wish a few more great businesses would open their doors here.

We don't really go to the cinema very often, but we'd probably go to the Brixton Ritzy or the one in Greenwich.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

I'm all for spending more money on groceries for better quality and organic.... but that Franklin's place in East Dulwich really does take the p!$$. Whenever we're in Dulwich, we go in there to have a laugh at the prices. Who pays that kind of money!?!

I'm glad you agree, girl_cunuck. The people of east dulwich do seem to enjoy having their wallet molested without mercy. Although they always return for more. Must be some bizarre form of commercial Stockholm syndrome.

They also rudely removed me from their forum for some minor discrepancies. So I suppose I'm bias.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Grocery shop in Somerfields - now the Co-op food's stocked, it's a lot better quality for the money. My family are addicted to the white Farmhouse loaf, we've had to buy an extra toaster!

Every 4-6 weeks we go to Sainsbury's as nowhere on the High Street stock my children's favourite cereal and it's cheaper to get detergents, etc. in their bulk offers. Baking products, too - it would be nice to have a kitchen/cook shop in Sydenham Road.

Fresh and Fruity every week; Cake Shop I try and avoid unless it's empty - their queuing system (or lack of it) irritates me...; looking forward to using the new fish shop.

Go into Bromley or use the Internet if buying presents or clothes, shoes, books, CDs, etc.

Eat out at Trattoria Raffaele's about once or twice a month, Gurkha's once a month. Sugahill twice a week with children after school for a treat. Kente with other school mums in the morning. Golden City only if we've exhausted other choices. Dolphin's too expensive and don't like (the lack of) their customer service.

Better for dining. Joanna's if we're entertaining - we get shut in the booth in the corner! Tamnag Thai for take-away treat.

I like to browse in the collector's market by Sainsbury's, it reminds me of being a teenager in Brighton.

We go to the old Pizza Express, now Pizza at the Palace as the chain wanted to buy the franchise from the manager. The manager resisted and still runs it successfully without their help! Set 3 course menu for £9:95 on Sundays and then a walk back down through the park...

It's going to get better - there's lots interested in investing here, but confusion in who owns what, what's available and Landlord's terms are too confusing and ambitious.

Beckenham Odeon is a flea-pit and if someone took me for a first date there, they wouldn't get a second! Tatty and cramped seats with nowhere to put your drinks, it's like something from the 1980's! For the price of their Luxury seats, you can get a standard seat at the Surrey Quays Odeon, park for free and in May you'll be able to get a direct train there! Or we wait for the film to come to Sky+.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Forgot to say I also use eBay and Freecycle to get specific things. Over the last week, I've bought/sourced:

Art equipment,
Oven bulb I couldn't get in the pound shops,
Fancy Dress costume for my son,
Card for Mayow Park posters,
Cello bags to put hand-made greeting cards in to sell,
Birthday present (very specific toy and would have taken me hours to track down in Bromley),
The little plastic things shelves sit on in bookcases.

The things I bought from eBay were funded from selling my children's clothes they'd outgrown. It's not like real money! :D
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

Interesting to see the places people go. Looks like there's lots of driving involved, or trains from Lower Sydenham. Than again maybe there's a bus. Will have to look into that.

We use public transport as much as possible so shop in town or East Croydon. Same for cinema. Shop online using Tesco and do local shopping usually at Foresthill Sains or Kirkdale Tesco. Prefer Crystal Palace for eating out, sometimes East Dulwich, very occassionally Sydenham.

We would shop more on Sydenham Road if it had a few more shops to draw us in and make it worth an outing. Maybe a decent gift shop and a few clothes places (like the places on Lordship Lane). If we could pass an hour or so on Sydenham Road we'd definately use Kente, BM and Sugar Hill more.

We only eat out a couple of times a month (in the evenings at least) and prefer the vibe in Crystal Palace. The time we have been down to Sydenham Road there has been a slightly oppresive atmosphere with groups of kids behaving badly at bus stops and outside chicken shops.
jamlau

Post by jamlau »

New poster putting in my tuppence worth:

Mostly shop in Sainsbury's in Penge. I love seafood so will definitely use the upcoming fishmongers in Sydenham, sure I read that somewhere on here recently. For eating out, we do try and support local places but a mixture of places in SE London really.

Go to CP a lot, partly because we have friends there and also there is a lot of good choice.

About once a week.

Really like it. It has loads of decent restaurants, different types of pubs and like browsing the antique shops.

We've just moved from a flat to a house within Sydenham so we are happy here and intending to stay. News of shootings up the road doesn't help though!

Very rarely go to the cinema but would go to the Ritzy in Brixton by train from Penge East.
apcmoomin

Post by apcmoomin »

Mainly do my food shop locally in Lidl, Somerfield and Sainsburys (although I hate going into Sainsburys because I always end up queuing at the till for ages. Saturday mornings are a nightmare in there I find. Too many people and staff gathering goods for the internet orders).
When I eat out, I mainly dine elsewhere

Usually Central London

How often do you eat out
on average, once a week

Haven't really checked out the area yet but have heard good things about dining round there so will check that out in the coming months.

Been here a year now and have already seen a few changes which is very promising. Would love to see some of the shops make a bit more effort in their appearances and like to see more variety of shops (too many bettings shops, barbers/salons, discount shops). Although feeling somewhat less safe having recently read about the mugging, shooting and carjacking incidents.

Central London
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

We have young children, so food shopping is a mix of a weekly Ocado delivery with supplements from Borough Market (meat, fish, cheese, coffee, bread). We tend to use the high street for minor shopping: Wellbeing for whole foods, Fresh & Fruity or Istanbul for small bits of fruit & veg, Istanbul for herbs and interesting Turkish/Polish foods. Sommerfield for top-up sundries, but not much else.

We love the Dolphin, Blue Mountain, and the revamped Italian. I have high interest in Alhambra and JH Skincare (I keep meaning to book an appointment with the latter but haven't got round to it.) And finally, I seem to buy something from Kirkdale Books almost every other week.

Central London, East Dulwich

Once since the children arrived, and more likely to be a weekend lunch than a weekday dinner.

Really nice local options for going out (I love Johannas), but too much of a faff to get to. If I'm going to make the effort I'll go to East Dulwich or right into Central London. Crystal Palace would really benefit from some serious improvement to its transport links. It's a great area, but such a trek.

Shabby and underinvested. Contrasting the high street with some of its expected cliental (esp. people you meet at toddler groups and in the local playgrounds) is quite surreal. For the past several years people have been moving into Sydenham because it's an affordable place to buy a house and start a family, but you'd never guess this area was the latest "nappy valley" by looking at our high street.

Do you go to Beckenham to the cinema or travel into london to see a film? I go to Beckenham to use the leisure centre, GBK and Waitrose, but that's about it. For cinema I prefer the Ritzy in Brixton or the Curzon Soho. I REALLY want Crystal Palace to get a proper indie cinema, as that would probably push me to make the trip there more often.
spanishsydenhamgirl

Post by spanishsydenhamgirl »

I get loads of my shopping needs met in Sydenham.

Nails: any number of places. Depends on my mood really - sometimes just down from Kente or just across the road, sometimes the one with the cats waving in the window, sometimes just up from Somerfield/Co-op.

Mobile phone covers - again, depends on my mood, whether they have a colour that matches my nails or where I'm standing on the high street.

Plastic buckets: ditto.

Betting: again, spoilt for choice. Horses mainly at Ladbrokes on the corner of Newlands Park, football down by the Wimpy. Minority/other seasonal sports - try to vary my custom. Sometimes up on Kirkdale,(and then in to the Windmill for a swift pint or two) sometimes down towards Sainsbury's in Bell Green.

Eating out: some tasty fried chicken and chips after perhaps a few too many down at the 2 1/2s
Raven Drone

Post by Raven Drone »

I've just come back from CP and after a nice meal and a few drinks listening to some cool tunes in the downstairs bar at Numidie I feel deeply envious .... A couple of similar places in Sydenham Rd would make a massive difference to my life.....
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

shop -Sydenham Lidl or Waitrose in Beckenham depending on whether I am entertaining

eat out - 4 times a month - Dulwich village, east Dulwich or Crystal Palace or further afield . Like the portuguese in CP, Piafs or picture Gallery for Lunch in Dul Village, Palmerstons or Franklins in east Dulwich. Wouldnt occur to me to eat out in Sydenham too shabby, would get a takeaway from Babur in Brockley Rise or the new Yeti place in CP.
Perceptions of CP - interesting shops and restaurants
Sydenham - ghastly - no shops worth visiting, occasionally get my nails done in the Vietnamese / Chinese place - all very nice -and maybe hit the pound shop for bits n bobs
Hair - Village way in Forest HIll or GMs in East Dulwich
wouldnt venture out in Sydenham after dark
wouldn't go to Beckenham either
mikej

Post by mikej »

Shop - Penge Sainsbury's mostly

Eating out - mainly, we use C Palace as there's such a good choice of restaurants there. 2nd choice - up in town, 3rd Lordship Lane

Once on average

Mostly good, it has a large choice of cafes for sure. Love Joanna's which have used since it opened 30+ years ago.
Don't like the CP Parade area when we catch the bus back though. Cold in winter with a dodgy atmosphere?

It's OK, getting slowly better, but it has a long way to go...

More often use Beckenham
shopgirl

Post by shopgirl »

MiniFox wrote:For...
Gifts, I go to the excellent (and newly discovered) Alhambra.

Aw, thanks, MiniFox. It's lovely to get nice feedback. And just so you know, we're having a Springtime Soiree this coming Thursday 29 April from 6pm-9pm. It's to launch an exhibition of paintings by Lesley Middleton, and also our new summer tapas lunch menu! There will be special offers on all our stock - and we've just taken delivery of some fabulous new ceramics, soft furnishings, reclaimed floor tiles, paella pans and more. There will be complimentary wine and tapas on the night, and everyone is welcome! Over the summer we have lots more events and workshops planned. For full details, please visit our new website at http://www.alhambrahome.co.uk
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

Not Sydenham High Street, but I've only recently moved to the area.
Had a pint in the Railway once, but not so enamoured - needs better beer.
Still to try the Dolphin and other pubs in the area.
Will pick up small items of shopping in the store near the station.
I feel Sydenham could do with a nice proper pub, but maybe I've missed it.

Shopping - Crystal Palace Sainsburys, or the big one in Lower Sydenham.

Once every so often.

Not too bad, and nice to walk too. Numidie is a nice bar. The White Hart is a nice pub.

The High Street is dirty and grimy and needs sprucing up.
Upper Sydenham is nicer, with the parks and tree lined streets.

Have been to Odeon in Beckenham, but it depends on the film times - working in London means I can go most places to see a film.