Any opinions please? (Quite long!)

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
em101

Any opinions please? (Quite long!)

Post by em101 »

Hi there,
I'm new to the forum and newly introduced to the SE area!

My sister has moved to Forest Hill with her fiancé and they love it. I’m buying my first property, want to live near them and my money definitely goes a lot further here!

I've been looking at a few flats and houses in the Brockley, Forest Hill and Sydenham areas. Sydenham seems to have the best selection of properties.

There's a house I’m considering to put an offer on which is on Champion Road in Sydenham - near Adamsrill road and the old Bell Green gas works. (You can see the top of the Bell Green gas works from the front door.)

As I live out of London, my visits to the area are limited to a few hours at a time to view the properties, so could you please give me some opinions?

1) What are the Champion road, Adamrill road and Bell Green areas like to live in?

2) Is it relatively safe for me to walk back alone after dark from the stations?

3) I will be commuting to work in London, but haven’t had the chance to do the walk to Sydenham and Lower Sydenham stations, but it looks like they are around half a mile away so around 15 mins away?

4) I read elsewhere on this forum that Lower Sydenham station could more rough as it comes out onto an Industrial estate. Can anyone that uses this station for commuting give me some info?

5) There are a couple of primary schools very close – Adamsrill and St Michaels - any idea whether this will cause any problems?

6) I read that Bell Green has been given planning permission to be developed and from what I understand, the Phase 2 part is being challenged. Is there any possibility that the area will remain as it is, with the gas works there?

7) What are the better areas/ streets to live on in Sydenham?

Thank you for any views you have,
Em
sarahc

Champion Road

Post by sarahc »

Hi,

I live very near to where you are talking about (other side of Adamsrill), and I just wanted to give you my opinions of the area.

If the house you are considering, is the Adamsrill School/St Michaels School end, that it will be bit of a nightmare at about 9am and 3.30pm. People collecting their kids from school will park/double park anywhere!! If you are out at work all day, it wont be a problem at all. It never affected me one bit, till now (I am at home with small child). Basically it's a bloody nightmare at those times!!

As for the stations - Lower Sydenham is a little closer to Champion Road. I commuted to and from there for 15 years and had no problems. The station can be a bit deserted late at night and perhaps Sydenham station might be better at that time.

Also, there is a community hall at the top of the estate in Champion Road and it can have the occasional function. Not a big problem at all. The road is a bit scruffy but, it really depends how much you have to spend before I could suggest any other roads to look at. The Thorpe Estate (V V nice houses) is lovely but you need a serious amount of money.

Sydenham is a bit dirty and scruffy - but I have lived here most of my life and I like it!!!

Good luck with your house hunting.

Sarah 8)
stringfellow

Post by stringfellow »

Hi

I live just off Adamsrill, at the top end near Mayow Park, only been here for 9 or 10 months but have had no problems to speak of, very neighbourly and quiet. I lived in Brockley prior to Sydenham and would have to say Sydenham is a lot nicer (Brockley is kind of evenly split by the trainline, the conservation area is very nice but he rest is nothing to shout about).
em101

Post by em101 »

Thanks Sarah!

It's good to hear that you like the area, and have not had any problems in the time you've been living there!

Yes the house is at the St Michael's school/ church end of the road, but as you say, if I'm out at work all day, then the crazy parking during school hours shouldn't be a problem for me. I was just slightly worried as a colleague lived near a (secondary) school and used to have raw eggs thrown at his windows every morning by the school kids!

My budget is around £250k at the very maximum. This seems to be around the price for a 2-3 bed flat in Brockley. I almost saw one there today, but the estate agent couldn't open the front door of the flat :oops: ...so we had to leave again :)

I would prefer to get a house and I can still afford to in the Sydenham area. I had a quick drive up to Sydenham station and around the streets near Mayow park (Kingsthorpe, Bishopsthorpe...) is that the Thorpe estate you were talking about? The houses did look very nice and well cared for in that area.

From what I've seen, I think Sydenham looks quite well cared for and the properties look neat. But as I said before, this was just by driving through, inbetween property viewings, so I wanted to get a feel of the place from locals!

Thanks for your help,
Em
em101

Post by em101 »

Thanks Stringfellow.

I agree with you about the other side of Brockley not being as nice. The streets around Mayow park did seem nice and quiet (which is what I like!)

Em
sarahc

Champion Road

Post by sarahc »

Hi Em,

You could try De Frene Road (my road!) where the houses are around and about that price. It is a very nice road, we have allotments behind the houses and everyone is friendly - we have neighbourly bonfires and BBQ's. You could also look at Queenswood Road or Priestfield Road (which just comes under Forest Hill but very very near De Frene Road). If you like the house near St Michaels - then go for it. If you are out at work all day, then the madness at school times wont affect you. It's a nice area and the shops in the high street are good. Hope all goes well for you.

Sarah :wink:
BET

Post by BET »

I used to live right next to Forst Hill boys school. This wasn't a problem until i took holidays from work during term time. I could never get a lie in due to the noise from the kids on their way in to school.
So be warned - if you like your lie in's then think twice!!
Good Luck in your search

Bet x
em101

Post by em101 »

Thanks for your help Sarah and Bet.

When I called today, that house has had an offer accepted and I couldn't go for a second viewing...but I do really like that area and will keep looking! Thanks for the for the streets you mentioned Sarah.

It's really good to see that Sydenham has a great forum like this with nice friendly people on it too!

Take care,
Em
marianne

Post by marianne »

I wouldn't go near Champion Road or that area - most depressing. Have a look at upper Sydenham - Lawrie Park triangle really lovely and Forest Hill area. You will easily find a flat for £250,000 - in fact I am sure there are plenty of houses for that amount too.

Good luck
em101

Post by em101 »

Thanks for your Marianne! I haven't checked this site for couple of weeks.

Em