Flower Thief

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Whiftoff

Flower Thief

Post by Whiftoff »

Just wondering if anyone has ever had any flowers stolen out of their front garden? Woke up this morning and noticed that a hanging basket that has been there for a couple of years was missing. Also someone had gone though the hassle of neatly removing some winter pansies from there pots and making off with them (leaving the pots behind). Almost 100% certain it happened last night. It seems to me like the most pointless operation ever. The flowers cost about £4 from homebase. Surely not worth the risk of getting caught.
charlieandpip

Post by charlieandpip »

we had our window box taken (see seperate thread) about a week ago. Really pissed me off, pointless theft, but was the theft of a wooden champagne box I had given to my wife 10 years ago on our wedding day.

some real scumbags around here. trainee burglars who should be given a taste of their own medicine.
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

Its not that we really lost much it just the invasion of privacy and the thought that someone might have their eye on your property!

What with the Car jackings and shootings. I was hoping Sydenham was on the up!
lbere

Post by lbere »

This was happening last year as well, I think that they end up at car boot sales being sold!!!!
Belle

Post by Belle »

and the year before! I had a big pot of flowers taken from my front garden.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It's advisable to screw any planters etc down. My nan had plants stolen from her green house (down in Devon). There are some not so nice people around, but they don't just strike in Sydenham.
Shirley

flower thief

Post by Shirley »

My first post, hello everyone. I too have woken up this morning to descover all my plants removed from a window box ,planter.and the entire liner plus plants removed from a wall planter. My neighbour suffered the same fate last week, very depressing.
shell1

flower thief

Post by shell1 »

Flower thief strikes again! Happened to me too this morning! Geraniums and periconia(?) Flowers cost me about £6 from lovely flower stall in Sydenham high street - we shall just have to stop planting in our front gardens - what a miserable place this will look like :cry:
shell1

Post by shell1 »

There was an item on "The One Show" on BBC1 this evening. It featured a family who contacted the one show to ask the programme to uncover the mystery of who or what was tipping their peanut feeder (full of nuts) off the garden fence, on to the soil so that the feeder would become empty. The One show helpfully sent their team to this family's home. They placed a "movement sensor" with an inbuilt camera (like a mini vcam) to film whatever was causing the peanut feeder to fall onto the soil......... It revealed that it was a Crow that was throwing the feeder onto the soil in order to feed on the peanuts . The family glowed with contentment that this "mystery was now history".

In a similar vain, I wondered whether it would be worth contacting the One Show to help us hapless Sydenham folk solve the mystery of the "Flower Thief" (I doubt this fiend is of the feathered kind) to find out who trespasses onto people's property stealing their newly planted flowers from planters, pots and beds. Anyone interested in contacting the One show, the email address is: theoneshow@bbc.co.uk
biscuit

Post by biscuit »

Annoying to think that this will stop people planting flowers in their front gardens anymore. :cry:
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

Has anyone got a night vision camera that they could set up? You could lure the flower scum bag in with a nice hanging basket! If you managed to caught the culprit on camera you could post the evidence on this forum (as well as handing it over to the police). Bit a long shot but you never know.
pip

Post by pip »

Probably the same scumbags who syphoned all the fuel from my car the other week during the early hours. Didnt even have enough fuel left in it to get to Sainsburys and as a result my mother missed her appointment with the Oncologist.