The woodman

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
bag lady

The woodman

Post by bag lady »

It's Mervin's last night tonight in the Woodman, I'm pretty gutted he kept a clean pub and served a lovely sunday lunch and most of all, he really is a fabulous bloke.

This really teaches us to use it or loose it although the greedy breweries are to blame, they where charging extorionate rent.

A real shame.
stellaashtray

Post by stellaashtray »

This is so sad to hear when will the breweries realise they will have no pubs to supply soonif they do not stop this outrageous extortion. I too will be sorry to see the Woodman go once again. Mervin was a friendly bloke bringing back a neighbourhood feel to an area that much needs it.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

so its closing down again - not just changing managers...

The issue around pubs, supply and ties is a complex one. However, as a customer, it can boil down quite easily.....

The wholesale price of a pint, even with taxes, can't be much more than £1.50: Wetherspoons are currently doing £1.79 for a pint of real ale as a promotion, Sam Smith's pubs up in central London still sell for under £2 a pint. Therefore £3 a pint is a rip off.

Why should I the customer pay £3 a pint when I can drink at the above places much cheaper or drink at home for a fraction of the price? Pubs must stop ripping people off if they want to survive.

The problem is before those in control realise this we'll most likely not have any pubs left.
stellaashtray

Post by stellaashtray »

I think you're missing the point (pint) pubs are shutting because they are tied to breweries who have the leaseholders by the throat only allowing them to buy from them at grossly over inflated prices.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

very sad
Keef

Post by Keef »

bensonby wrote:The wholesale price of a pint, even with taxes, can't be much more than £1.50: Wetherspoons are currently doing £1.79 for a pint of real ale as a promotion, Sam Smith's pubs up in central London still sell for under £2 a pint. Therefore £3 a pint is a rip off.
Even £3 is becoming a thing of the past. My regular haunt in East Dulwich (not one of the popular Lordship Lane pubs) is now asking £3.80 for a pint of Staropramen! Bloody ludicrous!

I am totally gutted about The Woodman, we went nearly every Sunday for a roast, and they were bloody great!!! I'd go to watch footy. I thought they were doing okay, the TV was a good move, they were trying things, and it wasn't empty like it was with the last manager.

Seems to be a pub that just isn't in the right place, and won't stay open.

This time ound I was using it, and I still lost it :(
DanW

Post by DanW »

There are new tables and chairs in The Woodman & a jukebox - looks like it may be re-opening soon!

Fingers crossed they have more success this time.

Dan
bag lady

Post by bag lady »

Is open!
stellaashtray

Post by stellaashtray »

Might check it out tomorrow evening. Hopefully they're still doing the fab Sunday Roasts
Keef

Post by Keef »

Anyone know what is happening? More than one person said to me it had reopened, but it doesn't seem to have...

Can anyone recommend a decent roast in or around Sydenham? Tried The Dolphin, and frankly, it was a big let down.

Damn it, I mis the Woodman roasts from that nice Polish cook.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

From what I've heard, your lunch is being delayed by a loved one, Keef.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The best roast I have had is in Crystal Palace: The Exhibition Rooms. Great pork crackling, home made apple sauce, perfectly cooked veg and nice surroundings for £10.50. Good amount too.

I wish it was in se26.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

I agree. Best Sunday roast I've had in ages. Exquisite honey roast veg complements a good size piece v meat. And no kids running around. Great value. Love it.
marksharry

Re: The woodman

Post by marksharry »

Hello peeps,the Woodman was supposed to reopen with new people running it(the govs of the Windmill).But the weekend before it was to open under new people,someone trashed the pub.They did try to keep it open but lost heart.Its now been sold.I heard the other night of two possibles,1 Gastro pub 2 Flats(ie keep the frontage as is but gut inside).Marksharry
rodney

Post by rodney »

Are people aware that the Woodman is going to be converted for use as an estate agent's office? Wooster and Stock have a "Sold" sign outside the pub, and it turns out that they have bought it themselves and will be moving in. There has been a pub calld the Woodman on this site for over 200 years and it is a sad state of affairs that a change of use like this can occur without planning permission even being required from the council.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Very bad news, a downside of property values being on the up. It seems a completely inappropriate plan for the site and wouldn't W&S grab more sellers' custom if they were competitive about fees? I'm sure most properties in this area sell themselves with very little effort needed from estate agents, what with the transport improvements and the schools' reputations. I know of two places on my own road that went to their first viewers and not due to low values, far from it :?

W&S have always had a stylish look but I hope they don't plan to change the nature of The Woodman's exterior or to exceed its frontage.