Mayow Road Traffic Lights

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Rachael

Mayow Road Traffic Lights

Post by Rachael »

Once again the traffic lights at the end of Mayow Road were stuck on red this morning. This happened a few months ago, and a few years ago it was happening every few months or so. I thought they had it sorted, but apparently not.

I reported it to TFL this morning. They are supposed to alert Lewisham. In the meantime, if you are sitting at the front of the queue at those lights (turning into Sydenham Road) and everyone behind you is beeping their horns, the lights are still faulty and you need to pull on out. It's actually not too difficult to pull into Sydenham Road in this situation.

By the way, I've noticed that when traffic lights are totally out and drivers have to make the decision themselves about when to go and when to give way, the traffic moves a lot faster than when the lights are working.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

They were gone again this morning. Long tail backs and confusion. I report it to tfl every time it happens, but they clearly haven't found a permanent fix. I don't know if there is anyone local I can raise this with - Lewisham say it is the responsibility of tfl.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

this would explain the tooting, and long line of cars there yesterday evening then.
With such little traffic, they're probably on a sensor for that section, which if broken would explain why that lights are still working, yet not turning green for Mayow Rd.

All traffic lights in London are put in and managed by one company, but it's part of TfL - I've also filled out an online form telling them of the problem.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Looks like they are working again now.

That's the third time in six weeks this has happened. What bothers me most is that tfl and/or the maintenance company don't do anything to let drivers know what is going on. I reported it this morning at about 9am. At 1pm I went past - lights still on red, big tailback, but, crucially, no sign to tell drivers to proceed with caution, no policeman to direct traffic, nothing. It was the same last time - it was about 24 hours from when I reported it to when it was fixed, but drivers were left in the dark. Not good enough.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

now now, using a horn whilst stationary? That is an offence!
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

Get rid of the lights, push and shove used to work fine, but if that's not good enough then a roundabout would work.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I agree- when the lights aren't working (and drivers have realised rather than just sitting there), everything moves through quite fast. There are enough gaps in the traffic on Sydenham Road for the traffic in Mayow Road to get out. But maybe it's the pedestrian crossing that's more important? Talking of which, aren't there plans to redesign those crossings without the barriers and middle islands? Now that would be an improvement. Anyone tried the new 'all directions' crossing at Oxford Circus? Proof that allowing people to make their own decisions is always better than penning them in like sheep.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hahahahaha, brilliant.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I got this reply from tfl today about these lights:

Thank you for your e-mail dated 18 May regarding the traffic signals at Mayow Road / Sydenham Road. I appreciate you taking the time to raise this enquiry with us and apologise for the inconvenience caused.

We are aware of the issues you have described. When visiting his site, our engineer found a problem with the facility that makes the signals stick to red. This has been temporarily disabled and in the meantime, we are waiting for the new facility to be changed.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to raise this enquiry with us and for your patience whilst this issue is being resolved. Should you require assistance with any further issues, please feel free to contact us again.

Yours sincerely

Sara Reynaga
Customer Service Advisor - London Streets
Transport for London
Surface Transport Customer Services