Local councillor results

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
AndIHerebyDeclare

Local councillor results

Post by AndIHerebyDeclare »

Sydenham

Chris Best (Labour)
Liam Curran (Labour)
Marion Nisbet (Labour)

Perry Vale

John Paschoud (Labour)
Alan Till (Labour)
Susan Wise (Labour)

Forest Hill

Anne Affiku (Labour)
Alex Feakes (Lib Dem)
Philip Peake (Lib Dem)
Chris Best

Full results for Sydenham

Post by Chris Best »

Having spent a long night at the count for the Mayor and Councillors (Marion and I left at 5am when Grove Park had a second recount and is now going to be recounted on Monday) I wanted to thank you for your support and to say that I am here to represent all of Sydenham.

The result is very positive for the Labour Party returning 3 MPs in Lewisham with Jim Dowd the first MP for the new constituency of Lewisham West and Penge, return of Steve Bullock as our Mayor and making gains in the number of Council seats. The number of Labour Councillors has increased to 38 whilst the Liberal Democrats have reduced from 17 to 12 and the Greens from 6 to 1.

The turnout was up - Sydenham was 62% - the last general election was 55% and the last local was 28%. Here are the results for the main parties:

Chris Best - The Labour Party Candidate 3200 - Elected
Marion Nisbet - The Labour Party Candidate 2482 - Elected
Liam Curran - The Labour Party Candidate 2350 - Elected

Stephen Locke - Liberal Democrats - 1670
Ross Archer - The Conservative Party Candidate - 1498
Angela Marie McDonald - Liberal Democrats - 1414
Eddie Capone - The Conservative Party Candidate - 1320
Kate Polling - Liberal Democrats - 1196
Dan Tubb - The Conservative Party Candidate - 1053

The Green Party candidates received 647, 616, 414 and the Community Need Before Private Greed 334.

Once again thank you to those who voted for me and I look forward to another four years representing Sydenham.
Ross Archer

Post by Ross Archer »

Hi Chris

Well done last night, and to Marion, and Liam.

I would like to thank all the people who voted for me.
All though it doesn't look great for us locally, there is many positives to be seen. A higher turnout, higher votes than last time for the Conservatives, and the Lib Dems not doing as good as they expected. Also in the parliamentary election a nice swing locally to us.

I will continue to campaign on local issues, and hope to see you in the process.

Thanks once again for all those who voted for me. And well done to the Labour candiates. It was a good election campaign.

Thanks Ross
charlieandpip

Post by charlieandpip »

So disheartening to see that only one party is representing the Sydenham area. Not exactly going to represent the range of views of the broad cross section of the local community.

It's not like we've seen much progress in terms of commercial development on the high street over the past 4 years (I know we have the redevelopment programme starting, but this is a cosmetic change only, not evidence of a true regeneration of the area)

Chris - looking forward to some progress in the next four years representing the needs of the changing demographic of the area, esp with the introduction of the ELL.
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

Living in Upper Sydenham (but the Forest Hill ward) I must congratulate Lib Dem for becoming the most popular in the area, because it was tight race here.
multisync

Post by multisync »

Shame I'm not in the Forest Hill ward of upper sydenham
poppy

Post by poppy »

I agree Charlie and Pip.

I think it was a missed opportunity for Sydenham. Unfortunately we are left with the same group of people who seem happy with our current town centre and its manager, who seems to have no long-term vision, and a group of councillors who push through things like the mosaic idea.

I also think because Sydenham is on the edge of the borough we have also suffered and without wanting to sound like a bit over the top, in many ways has been left to rot. Yes, the cosmetic changes are coming, but they have taken such a long time to come into fruition and they are limited and there seems to be no commitment to try out the many ideas buzzing around this area to improve it in so many ways, which would be so simple and have such a positive impact on everyone.

I think Dulwich has at least one Lib Dem councillor, correct me if I am wrong because I can't seem to find up-to-date local council results. In fact I think the Lib Dems have a big presence in Southwark, with one leading the council (before the election anyway).
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Poppy:

I have some sympathy with what you write, but in parts you are simply wrong, but on a public forum such as this I cannot go into details. There are indeed lots of ideas buzzing around, which I too would like to help make happen, but we need to think about how we can do this. Whether you like it or not, the Labour Party in Sydenham - and Lewisham - has a clearly reinforced mandate, and if you want to make a difference to what they do with it in the next four years, get to understand why they do the things they do. Fallible they may be and pushed around by innumerable outside pressures - like all of us - but not without a vision of how things should be round here. I do know that, with young kids, you do not find it so easy to get to meetings, but that would be the way to oppose the mosaic idea. Alternatively you could try any other number of ways of lobbying, although I assume you would always accept the greater authority of your fellow citizens expressed via the ballot box.

Having attended the Mayoral hustings last week, I might mention here just how disappointed I was by both the Lib Dem and Green candidates. Their pitches for votes were similar smorgasbords of policies they presumably reckoned we'd go for, with pretty well zero on how anything would be delivered. It astonished me in particular that the Lib Dem has no apparent awareness of how the Lib Dem led Southwark council had done things differently. It will be interesting to see how things change, since Labour have now taken back overall control there http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/1000/e ... tions_2010
Raven Drone

Post by Raven Drone »

Yep, the Lib Dems certainly did do things differently in Southwark- they effectvely handed power over to the tories who only had 6 seats! Indeed the Lib Dem Cllr that Poppy mentions was herself a tory councillor until about Feb this year when she defected to the Lib Dems. They failed to listen to their electorate and paid the price- a bigger than ever turnout for Labour at the first opportunity.

Ok, sorry, enough of the lib dems are really just tories in disguise thing.

Poppy, I do see your point but not sure we can compare ourselves with Southwark- they have the advantage of being nicely located on the river front with Tower bridge, Tate Modern, Borough Market etc etc. They simply have more chance to negotiate more money from developers and businesses. I think Lewisham has less opportunity and while I'd love to see them invest more in Sydenham I also recognise they need to prioritise and meet the needs across the whole borough - many places have much more serious problems than Sydenham ( not that we don't have any) Best we can all do is big up Sydenham rather than knocking it all the time and take things into our own hands. Formalise a constituted association/s and submit applications for external funding streams left right and centre so we can buy our own trees etc ? I'm sure our ward councillors would welcome and support us?
simon

Post by simon »

Has anyone seen an overview of the Lewisham Council results please? I can find results by ward and understand that Labour gained 13 seats on the Council, mainly at the expense of the Lib Dems and the Greens (who were decimated and only have one seat now) but I would like to see where the changes were without going through all 18 wards.
I have had a look at Grove Park though; talk about close!

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/CouncilAndDe ... ay2010.htm