Noisey Neighbours

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
noangel

Noisey Neighbours

Post by noangel »

Hi All

I've got a problem with my neighbours whereby they have this alarm which goes off all day about twice a week. I work from home most of the week and it's extremely hard to concentrate or take a phone call when there is an alarm "screaming" in the background.

I've started to take a diary of when this happens (along other problems) so I can take it to the council but I'm worried that the council will refuse to help because I've not spoken directly to my neighbours about this particular issue. The reason I haven't is last time I tried to speak to them I got called all type of names and they continued to verbally abuse me when I went back upstairs to my flat. Does anyone know if the council would take this on board or should I just learn to put up with this until I find the courage to speak to them? It's during the day so is this really a nuisance or am I just being over sensitive?

I would appreciate constructive responses only as last time I asked for advice here regarding my problem neighbours I was told to move completely out of Sydenham as I was the problem. Which I'm not, they've only had reason to complain to me once over the 2 years I've been here and I apologised and haven't reoffended as I'm now aware of that problem. They're most certainly not the shy and retiring type so I'm sure they would be up in a flash if there was something bothering them. Most certainly aren't scared of me.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

What sort of alarm is it going off? Car or burglar or something else? Are they there whilst it is going off?

(I'd probably ring the police each time it goes off saying that you think someone is attempting to steal/burgle in the vicinity of xx yyy Road.)
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

My initial thought is to suggest biurgling their house after the alarm goes off. No one seems to take any notice.
Most decent alarms should switch themselves off and reset after 15 minutes. As this is during the day, it is very unlikely the Council will act as they normally only intervene between the hours of 11pm and 6am (I think)

The best bet would be to contact the police when the alarm goes off. After a couple of call-outs they will ask the alarm company that fitted the system to address the fault. As to what happens from there, I think Bensonby will know the answer.

or pm him directly
noangel

Post by noangel »

Thanks both. I did consider to start phoning the police but I didn't want to be deemed the nuisance.

It sounds like a burglar alarm. I thought one of the other neighbours would have taken action by now because it is cleary audible as you come up the street. But as alib said, no-one takes any notice. I thought even next door would but she had problems with them a couple of Xmases back so she is probably too scared to do anything.

It starts as soon as they leave in the morning and then, obviously, ends when they get home. I sometimes I do think they do it on purpose as any normal person would have fixed it by now.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

i'm pretty sure you can conttat the police anonymously. A concerned neighbour, or passerby.
There are prescribed noise levels which are deemed to be a public nuisance/neighbourhood noise. I am pretty sure these only apply at night, but you may contact Lewisham and ask for clarrification.

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/Environment/ ... eighbours/

i realise that you don't wish to antagonise your neighbours for fear of reprisals, but this is an entirely reasonable approach.
sophie

Post by sophie »

The Council will respond during to excessive/irritating noises during the day. If you have kept a log of dates and times, and length of times it goes off for, I think they would have to.