Planning application for Money Shop at 59 Sydenham Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Planning application for Money Shop at 59 Sydenham Road

Post by Tim Lund »

The national chain 'The Money Shop' has just put in an application to change the use of 59 Sydenham Road from Class A1 (retail) to Class A2 (professional and financial services) - see here on Lewisham Planning's web site http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XS ... mkey=59868,

So far four objections, zero supporters, with a target date for decision 5th July. Any forecasts as to how these numbers will have moved by then?
angela53

planning application for money shop

Post by angela53 »

This is the last thing Sydenham High Street needs right now!

Thanks for pointing this out , I have emailed my objection to Lewisham Council.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Sample email and address to send and I would be happy to do the same...
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

planning@lewisham.gov.uk will do. You will need to include your full address and postcode to have your objection registered.
bigbadwolf

Re: planning application for money shop

Post by bigbadwolf »

This is the last thing Sydenham High Street needs right now!

I couldn't agree more.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I've never heard of the Money Shop and I haven't read through the application, but what is wrong with this proposal? Why is the "last thing Sydenham High Street needs right now"?
rbmartin

Post by rbmartin »

The Money Shop normally set up in areas of low income where they offer loan services such as cashing cheques and emergency loans.

The Credit Union is a much better way of obtaining a loan if you happen to be in low-paid work or benefits.
simon

Post by simon »

Very true rbs.
I interviewed Liam from Lewisham Plus Credit Union on Sydenham Community Radio last week and he told of the usurious interest rates these companies charge. They really do prey on the poor.
Perhaps he should also make an objection to the plans?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Thanks, that is interesting. I wonder though if pointing to Money Shop's interest rates and general business practices are the type of objection that planners would be able to bear in mind when they make their decision?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Yes, what can you object on, what are the grounds other than 'it's not good for the area' and 'we don't like them/they are not ethical/they charge a lot of interest', it's better for the area if the license stays as retail?

I'd rather my objections stick.
rbmartin

Post by rbmartin »

I can't see why the Money Shop won't get approval, there are numerous similar businesses across the borough despite their dubious ways of making money.

It's bad enough Lewisham has Brighthouse where low income familes can buy goods at inflated APR.
michael

Post by michael »

This is contrary to council policy STC4:
STC 4 Major and District Centres - Core Shopping Areas
Within the Core Shopping Areas, as defined on the Proposals Map and listed in Table STC 1 below, the Council will strongly resist any change of use involving the loss at ground floor level of Class A1 shops. The following factors will be taken into account when considering exceptions:
(a) whether the proposal harms the overwhelming retail appearance of the shopping frontage, with an over-concentration of non-retail uses (normally 3 non A1 uses together and 70% maintained in A1 use);
(b) whether the proposal will generate a significant number of pedestrian visits; and
(c) whether the proposal uses vacant units (having regard both to their number within the Shopping Centre as a whole and the Core Area and the length of time they have been vacant).
If you object to this development I recommend reminding the planning officers of this policy.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Well said Michael. SydSoc have made a similar reasoned objection - I will see if there is anything to add to what you write.
michael

Post by michael »

Tim,
I wasn't planning to write an objection as it does not affect me. But I hope that people who use Sydenham Town Centre do object to this application as you have suggested.

I wanted to make it clear that there are good grounds for the council refusing this application and that you do not have to put up with this business. If they were moving into an existing A2 business unit then they would not need any planning permission for change of use and it would be much harder for the council to refuse permission.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Where is 59 Sydenham Road?
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Corner of Queensthorpe & Sydenham Road, opposite Nat West
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

Just emailed my objection, this sort of shop is not helpful to the area at all.
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

For info, the Sydenham Society sent the objection below on June 11; further objections should be sent to planning@lewisham.gov.uk asap as we are nearing the end of the consultation period. If writing, please cite the planning application number which is: DC/10/74280/X

The Sydenham Society objects to the proposed change of use of the premises at 59 Sydenham Road from Class A1 (retail) to Class A2 (professional and financial services). We note that the applicant is The Money Shop, a national chain. The Society is of the view that the loss of such a prominent retail unit to The Money Shop would be detrimental to the health of Sydenham Road and is counter to planning policy ST4 for the following reasons:
1) Policy ST4 states units undertaking financial and professional services should not be concentrated in a row. In fact, if permission is granted, there will be 3 such units in a row - The Money Shop, the NatWest Bank and Mann's Estate Agents. The applicant (in the accompanying Design & Access statement) states that the corner location at the bottom of Queensthorpe Road provides a break in the row. The Society strongly disagrees with this view - in fact the proposed pedestrianisation of the bottom of Queensthorpe Road will have the effect of improving the linkages between the two corners as there will not be any traffic to impede the flow of pedestrians and shoppers. The grouping of 3 such businesses together will harm the appearance of Sydenham Road in that there will be 3 potentially very bland shopfronts adjacent to each other - the opportunity for a 'lively' shopfront on this prominent corner will have been lost.
2) The applicant's own 'health check' of Sydenham Road in April 2010 has revealed that the level of A1 retail units in the Core Shopping Area currently stands at 61%. Planning Policy ST4 does not favour less than 70% A1 in the Core Shopping Area. Granting planning permission for this change of use will exacerbate the preponderance of A2 in Sydenham Road and be counter to national policy.
3) The proposed improvements to Sydenham Road (which were approved in January 2010 after lengthy consultation) and the creation of a 'pocket park' at the bottom of Queensthorpe Road will not only enhance the pedestrian environment but will make the retail unit on the corner even more important in terms of the improved streetscape. For this reason, the Society takes the view that 59 Sydenham Road should have a 'lively' frontage and be occupied by a business which will benefit from the pedestrianised environment.
4) The Sydenham Society notes that a change of use in Sydenham Road from A1 to A2 has recently been refused: DC/09/71237/X - 83 Sydenham Road (May 2009) for the following reason: "The proposed change of use to a betting shop (Use Class A2) would result in the loss of retail floorspace within a designated core shopping frontage, detracting from the range of retail services available within the defined district centre, which would have an adverse impact upon the vitality and viability of the area, contrary to Policy STC 4 Major and District Centres - Core Shopping Areas in the adopted Unitary Development Plan (July 2004)".
We are of the view that this is a robust precedent for turning down the proposed change of use at 59 Sydenham Road and would strongly urge LBL to refuse the current planning application.
Annabel McLaren, Acting Chair, The Sydenham Society
love-sydenham

Re: Planning application for Money Shop at 59 Sydenham Road

Post by love-sydenham »

It's shocking....
No, seriously, how will we ever get a better looking high street, if shops like that are popping up here and there on the road?!!! Especially in the locations which suits better for the restaurants with sitting area outside in the summer (as that road will be blocked of in the soon future)... sad... sad... sad... :( :( :(
I filled in and emailed my Objection appication on the 12/10/2010....
Don't know if it will help, but I belive: every little helps, as they say!!!!!

PLESE, PLEASE, PLEASE, everyone, please send your pbjections!!!

Thank you
parker

Re: Planning application for Money Shop at 59 Sydenham Road

Post by parker »

I do hope it doesnt open like most, but if it wasnt right for the high street we would have offers from shops like 'Caffe Nero' but maybe we do need 'The Money Shop', they will close if they dont trade well, maybe it would do well here for the wrong reasons :?