Noisy PA systems this weekend?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
alywin

Noisy PA systems this weekend?

Post by alywin »

Having gone up to a usually peaceful part of Sydenham this weekend for some peace and quiet, both afternoons were disrupted by intrusive PA systems. Saturday's may (or may not) have been due to the fun day at St. Christopher's, but I don't know what Sunday's was. It seemed to come from a similar direction - so not from Crystal Palace - but a bit further south. (Mind you, as far as I can see from its website, there are no events on at all at CP this summer anyway!)

Does anyone know?
jmc

Post by jmc »

Crystal Palace Athletics Stadium has started to be regularly leased out for small sports days. Unfortunately the stadium only has an International Event PA system which can be heard not only outside the stadium, but also the surrounding district

For the last two summers (june,july) schools have started to use the stadium and PA system for sports days. So you hear the speakers booming out the voice of the teacher across the area surrounding the park.

When I first heard this (last summer) I assumed some major event was going on and went to have a look, and was bemused to see only a few school children around the 100m running track. I also realised the sound was louder than an Athletics Meeting because the teacher was screaming encouragement to the children. It is weird walking along a quiet Sydenham road then hearing a teachers voice boom out across the landscape "come on Tracy..YEEESSS!"

I guess someone close by will be annoyed by this and will have complained. It's fairly easy to get some speakers that can only be heard along the 100m running track for these sports days or small events

Of course, you may have heard another PA system at the weekend!