New Forum me no likey

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
goonerchamp

New Forum me no likey

Post by goonerchamp »

Am I the only one having issues with this new forum?

I liked the fact previously new posts appeared on the home page and you could see the newest posts without having to rifle through all the room's "Town Hall" etc etc etc

Im sturggling and feeling like leaving you all behind - far too much like hard work - I vote or a revert to the old style or getting the new posts appearing on the front page or the website again!! :cry:
admin
Site Admin

Re: New Forum me no likey

Post by admin »

Sorry. I have put a temporary listing of last 8 posts back on the frontpage. You can also get straight to a longer and better formatted list by clicking on the orange symbol that should show on the right hand side of the address bar when viewing the forum index.

Hope this helps until I get the new frontpage sorted.

Admin
Annie

Post by Annie »

Why was the website changed?
I loved the old set up and the blue colour, It felt like a comfortable old pair of socks! now I get lost. :(
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Annie,

Like a pair of old but loved socks - time creates holes. They can be patched but when the patches are all that's left it is time to move on.

The old software is no longer maintained and a security risk. The new is more secure with many extra features which takes time to discover. I know how you feel - my favourite forum upgraded last week and there is a thread just like this there too with me contributing ...

Admin
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Up until a few years ago my dad still had orange y fronts with purple piping from when he got married (that was in 1966!). At the end of their days they were more like a G string than a Y front. They have now, gladly, seen the great dustbin the sky.

Sometimes you have just got to let go...before they let you down.
;-)
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

My dad's a bit like that, Lee. I've never investigated the condition of his underwear, but I know he's still got a pair of Adidas that have "Made in West Germany" stamped on the insole.

But aside from my fathers tireless campaign of embarrassing his sons with his sartorial ignorance...

... I don't have a problem with the forum and its new layout. I just wish people would post more often so I could enjoy winding them u... er, sorry, engaging them in constructive - though occasionally disruptive - discourse.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

It's too hot for wolf baiting.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Indeed, rshdunlop. Indeed.

Though I'm actually quite nice, really. Once you've seen past all the bitching, cynicism, mocking and general unpleasantness.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Wait, you mean that's just wolf's clothing?
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

No, rshdunlop. And for your information: the only thread of clothing this Wolf wears is the executioner's hood!
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

My dad's a bit like that, Lee. I've never investigated the condition of his underwear, but I know he's still got a pair of Adidas that have "Made in West Germany" stamped on the insole.
Those were the days eh? When we were told who to trust, and who not to trust. Those damn Communists.

Still, they've gone now (for all intents and purposes) but - thank god - we have been given someone else to fear and hate, what would we do without Al Qaida? (is his full name Alan Qaida, like Colin Saunders shortened his name to Col?)

Personally, I rue the loss of the 'East' and the 'West' being so close to home; I loved the joke about the East German pole vaulting team, and how they became the West German pole vaulting team.

Oh dear, the thread has lost its direction.

To bring it back on track (I know some people get wound up by a multi directional thread) I would like to say that I didnt like the new Forum, but now I do.

This week I will mainly be drinking Miller Lite, with the new 'Vortex Bottle'
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

I'd prefer it a bit more 'squished up' - I find it a bit 'long'??? :?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The next change will see the Forum get wider by about 30% which should (roughly) make threads 20% shorter.

Admin
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I like it - it's a format that I'm used to because they use it on the xkcd forums.

There definitely should be more posts, I suggest a summer social thread, so that we can all get to know each other in real life (for those that don't already).

Maybe in Mayow Park, or the Dolphin beer garden or even maybe in The Two Halves, or the back garden of Kente coffee (or somewhere else entirely)... hhmmm maybe I'll start such a thread myself.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

20% more ugly, more like. Not sure about this one, admin.

Oh, hang on a minute, it looks different on my iPad (wider, greyer) but like the old (new) version on my mac. Confused.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Ah, well, stripped down version is great for a phone, but looks horrid on the ipad. However, it is a little easier to get me finger on the little 'last post' tag on the mobile version.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

The new layout/format of the forum has little or nothing to do with the quality and appeal of the forum.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the people who are responsible for stimulating outside interest and enhancing the appeal of a forum are the members who use it. Not the admin. They're merely facilitators. And that goes for the people who lurk too.

You don't have to contribute 10-20 posts a day. Or craft essays for others to read. All you have to do is participate. If you're online and you've got something on your mind then write about it. Whether it be a genuine question, worry, rant, experience, endorsement (local or otherwise) or like me you could just write purile drivel. Whatever you choose to write, feel secure in the knowledge that it'll certainly be read. And if you want to embellish a few details then go for it because as they say: why let the truth get in the way of a good yarn.

And mention the forum to your friends who live locally and ask them if they've heard of it. And if they haven't, then let them in on the opportunity to get themselves heard. I'm not suggesting you leaflet the highstreet or start every sentence by mentioning Sydenham's online community. Just drop it into conversation when you're discussing local matters with friends or passers-by at the checkouts.

That's all.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK - even more versions of STF. If you have an iPhone or Android phone - STF is now available via TapaTalk which gives an enhanced posting service. So you can contribute instantly from anywhere that has a wifi or wireless signal. TapaTalk is promised soon on Nokia & Blackberry. The phone app is free to read forums and $2.99 if you want to post.

As for swopping the styles on the iPad or anything else - bookmark either of these:
http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/index.php?style=1 (standard)
http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/index.php?style=3 (mobile)

So no excuses for not posting ....

Some demo screenshots from TapaTalk:

Admin
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Ah, that's better. Thanks admin.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image