SAVE SYDENHAM LIBRARY

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

SAVE SYDENHAM LIBRARY

Post by leenewham »

Please send this link to as many people as possible.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savesydenhamlibrary/

Admin, can we make this a sticky and lock the tread so it's just a traffic sign to the petition?
Eagle

Re: SAVE SYDENHAM LIBRARY

Post by Eagle »

I am not sure The Libraries have not got themselves to blame.
I was full of hope after the renovation of Dartmouth Road Library but after two visit no more.
Seemed to have about half the number of books but full up with interactive items for children, including food and drink machines so mess everywhere.
Also libraries used to have a policy of little noise , which seems to have gone out of the window. They even allow people to waffle on their Mobiles.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Also libraries used to have a policy of little noise , which seems to have gone out of the window. They even allow people to waffle on their Mobiles.
Quite right, Eagle. Quite right.

I've lost track of how many times I've stated in similar discussions that libraries should be a quiet sanctuary for reading, study and IT and where people aren't intimidated. Not an extension of the playground where attention seeking brats can squawk at each other or make a mess.

If I were in charge of this country - which I'm happy to admit would probably be for the worse - libraries would be issued with a cane and the head librarian would have permission to restrain a troublemaker, pull down their trousers (or in this case jogging slacks) and publicly birch them into next week in front of their mates.

If such an act of public humiliation were made law, I can guarantee you that the malingering oiks would think twice before acting up again.

Otherwise it's a dose of birch on buttocks, again.
simon

Post by simon »

[quote="Eagle"]I am not sure The Libraries have not got themselves to blame.quote]

Eagle, while you may not have enjoyed recent library experience, as I have stated before, I cant see how your experience could be improved by closing the library.
What exactly have the "libraries got themselves to blame for?" Lewisham has said that Sydenham library is well used and have provided figures that support that. The closure is motivated purely by the wish to save money.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

'Simon' says:
The closure is motivated purely by the wish to save money.
Indeed. But money has got to be saved, hasn't it?

I'd better declare an interest - I wouldn't be directly affected by the closure as I use Forest Hill library. But I fully understand the concerns of people who live in Lower Sydenham.

But I'd only vote for keeping any library open if I knew what the cost was likely to be in terms of additional cuts to other council services. Isn't it incumbent on protesters to say where they would prefer the savings to be made?
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Isn't it incumbent on protesters to say where they would prefer the savings to be made?
That's a good point, Robin. But I think it's one that's best left in an ideal world. Mainly because the current media frenzy over any cuts has distracted a large number of the public from constructive thinking, focusing instead on stubborn, damaging resistance to vital cutbacks at the hands of who they've been led to believe - and in some cases quite rightly - are only interested in looking after themselves and their own.

Basically, in todays more informationally exposed and aware society, the majority are more interested in looking for a scapegoat rather than a solution.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I hate to disagree with BBW, but
Isn't it incumbent on protesters to say where they would prefer the savings to be made?
is not a good point, because we can say very easily who it is incumbent on to set some priorites - our CEO, who is paid about £200,000 p.a. and our Mayor, paid £78,000.

And in fact, there is no reason to doubt that this is what they are doing, starting a consultation with the 'easy' option of as far as possible equal across the baord cuts, and taking some account, I'd like to think, of our inputs during the consultation period.

Personally, I think there are every good arguments for why libraries should be spared rather than other services, and I think there is everything to play for in this campaign.
The Commander

Post by The Commander »

At first I thought I agreed with BBW's sentiments but on reflection I agree with Tim (not Nick) that there is all to play for in this campaign. There are very persuasive arguements for keeping local libaries open which can be applied to Sydenham and it is important for users/ the campaign to be part of the consultation. As we know only too well in Crystal Palace - a library is a very valuable community resource and should be valued for the economic, social and environmental benefits - but it is always vulnerable when it comes to the revenue required to maintain the service and council's ability to value those benefits.

Perhaps what is needed is a detailed cost benefit analysis - The council should look carefully at both the direct and indirect benefits of keeping the library open and if they still can't afford its upkeep then they should explore alternative funding options.

Libraries generally are inclusive and not exclusive - although I do have some sympathy re: noise related issues and intimidation which friends have recounted.
olatunde

Post by olatunde »

I have to agree that the foresthill library is not my first choice to sit and read a book.
but we can't have bottom smacking in a open library, as much as i would like to kick some of these yobs myself its not allowed.

if we have to put up with what lewisham thinks is progress i have a idea which might help pay for sydenham library upkeep, this is only a idea i had sitting in the library today.

the back of the library is used by opening doors ??, why can't they be moved to a smaller place like a unused shop there are plenty of little unused shops in sydenham,then use that large space in the library to run a small internet cafe which they can charge per hour or free for library user's, that would remove the nosie and IT out of the main library and leave it quite enough for people to read.
if food was served from the new internet cafe it would help vistors to the park.

thats just a idea but i think its the way lewisham should look at things now, if they can't run this library what would be the best way to help bring the fund money in,
look at all options before just shutting something down.

i would like to think i am not the only one thinking about ways to save and maybe improve on the service we already get from that library so if anyone else has a idea now would be a good time to say it.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I would challenge Tim on two counts:
we can say very easily who it is incumbent on to set some priorites - our CEO, who is paid about £200,000 p.a. and our Mayor, paid £78,000
Isn't this a democracy? Aren't the CEO and the Mayor our servants? Can we really just leave it to them to determine priorities? Shouldn't we be able to express a view on whether, for example, it is less acceptable to close libraries than to cut, say, adult social services or supporting children and families (or indeed the borough-wide library book purchasing budget)?
Personally, I think there are every good arguments for why libraries should be spared rather than other services
What are they? Libraries are obviously a favourite cause of the articulate, sharp-elbowed, book-reading, internet-forum-using middle classes. (it is interesting that they have attracted far more comments than any other council service on the council's 'Our Lewisham, Our Say' cuts forum). But is it self-evident that they are more deserving than other services which may provide even more vital support to our poorer and perhaps less well-organized fellow citizens?
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Robin:

You are wrong on both counts. Yes, we are in a democracy, but it is a representative one, which works by us electing leaders to take decisions, including appointing public servants. It is not a mass participatory democracy - I believe that sort died in Athens something over 2,000 years ago.

Second, it may well be that:
Libraries are obviously a favourite cause of the articulate [...] book-reading, internet-forum-using middle classes
but in what way does this make us ' sharp-elbowed'? If you think about it for a moment, it is the better off, with the money to pay for our own books, broadband and up-to-date IT who benefit least from keeping libraries open.*

And this is a major reason part of the reason why libraries should be saved even if other services are to be cut. They are a 'universal' service in the way that some benefits - such as child benefit - are 'universal'. As you will know, the advantages of these are that, without any means-testing, they are cheaper and unfussy to administer, carry no stigma to take up, and don't get withdrawn as the would-be user's income increases, so creating disincentives to self-improvement. The disadvantage is of course that they tend to be expensive, with much of the benefit going to those you might condemn as sharp-elbowed middle classes.

However, for the reasons given above, this objection does not apply significantly to spending on libraries.

One of the speakers the Thursday meeting expressed this 'universal' quality of library provision perfectly by saying "The library is somewhere that brings everyone together".

Finally, let's try an experiment - to see if in your eyes articulate, book-reading, internet-forum-using middle classes can simultaneously be sharp-elbowed and moralistic. Because there is a further argument why public libraries should be prioritised, which goes back to their origins in nineteenth century philanthropy, i.e. that proving the means for the disadvantaged to study and access reliable, up to date information, is a good thing, being a tool for self-help.

* I'm not sure if I can remember the last time I got a book out from Sydenham - or Forest Hill - library, but I hope you don't feel that disqualifies me from having an opinion.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hi Robin,

I have to say something in regard to come comments you have made. I hope you take this in the reasoned way it is intended as I feel strongly about this library and that it should remain one.

Sydenham library is earmarked for closure because the council hasn't maintained it properly (by the councils own admission). If this situation has arisen when the roof fell down in Forest Hill library then the situation would be reversed. Would you view change is it was Forest Hill Library closing (the one you use as opposed to on you don't?).

If they shut this library all the good work that Friends of Home Park have done will have been seriously undermined. The fact that this park is an important part of the regeneration of this area. The library is used by the numerous schools and nursery groups in the area, as is the park. You will find people from all 'classes' in the library, not just the 'sharp elbowed middle classes'. It's a great way of meeting people, especially for the mums groups who use the library.

The staff at the library have been greatly involved and supportive of the improvements to Home Park. Lots of the young people/kids, children in my road use the library. It gives them something to do. I used to work in a library when I was at school for many years. They are great assets. My library helped greatly my in my career. I certainly couldn't afford to buy the books back then that helped shape my future.

Cuts are being made across the board. Other services will be cut. But for the sake of the local community in Lower Sydenham (and Bellingham) i'd rather the library stays and some services, whatever they may be be, temporarially suspended until a time that we can afford them (this is my personal view). The assembly meetings could be postponed for one year saving £1million as suggested at the Library meeting (and be reintroduced when the council can afford it again), the council probably has an overblown IT budget (so says a friend who works on IT for the National Health Service). Lots of things could be suspended until this recession is over. And they can be re-introduced.

Sydenham Library wont be reopened if it shuts. When it gone, it's gone. Forever. This will attract anti-social behavour in the park, less mums will bring their children to the park so the play areas wont be used as much which will mean it will fell less safe.

Please, Robin, I beg you, I beg everyone, please support this campaign. I believe it's worth fighting for. Even if you don't use it.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

On the 'representative democracy' point, Tim, you are obviously technically right. But, I suggest, things have moved on a bit since Edmund Burke's day. We do indeed '[elect] leaders to take decisions' , but nowadays we expect those leaders to consult us on controversial issues before they take those decisions. The leaders themselves accept this: hence Lewisham's consultation exercise on the proposed cuts. The campaign against the closure of Sydenham library is a response to that consultation: good. But I'm suggesting that saying, in effect, 'whatever else you cut, don't close Sydenham library' is hardly likely to carry much weight with the council unless you can explain why you are (apparently) prioritising Sydenham Library over everything else the council does. As grown-up and sophisticated modern citizens, shouldn't we be capable of, indeed obliged to, take a wider view?

I agree with everything you say in defence of libraries - and I speak as someone who regularly borrows books from the (excellent) Lewisham library service. (And I've now seen Lee's eloquent posting about Sydenham library, and wouldn't dream of disagreeing with anything he says.) But I don't think you have shown that they are the most important service the council provides - indeed, i doubt whether you would argue that yourself (although Lee seems to come pretty close to it.)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I don't think anyone is saying 'cut anything, just don't close Sydenham Library'. I don't think anyone thinks we should stop the council collecting rubbish or schools or healthcare etc. I'm not either.

I hope that clears up any miss-conception. I am saying that perhaps certain costs can be cut from some services that can be re-introduced later. As I said, if the library closes, it's gone. Forever. The council said clearly at the meeting on Thursday that they will 'dispose' of the building'.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Robin:

I'm sure you'd agree that anyone responsible for taking important decisions would be well advised to consult with interested parties, not only for the sake of appearances, or to gauge the political wind, but just possibly to help develop a reasoned approach to the decisions which need to be taken. I think this is technically - precisely? - what our elected representatives are doing, and it is entirely consistent with real, meaningful consultation.

As to taking a wider view - had you not noticed that this was what I was doing, in arguing for libraries as being 'universal', but also naturally progressive, and favouring the deserving? If other Council activities score better in these ways, then of course I'd say they should be saved ahead of libraries - so if it appears to you that I am prioritising Sydenham Library over everything else the council does, then you are not following the argument. In the meantime, having suggested a general - wider? - approach for the Mayor and officers to follow, I don't feel it incumbent on me to say which services I would cut ahead of libraries.
simon

Post by simon »

Robin, as you asked me; no, I don’t think it is incumbent on those of us who oppose the closure of Sydenham Library to suggest where else the axe should fall. We had an election in May in which the voters of Lewisham, in general, and Sydenham in particular, overwhelmingly voted for Labour, who campaigned, in part, to protect public services. Ultimately, it is a decision for councillors and they will have to deal with the political consequences at the ballot box.

In fact the list of options was drawn up by unelected council officers and what we do not know is what didn’t make the list. I am beginning to think that some of those unelected officers have their own agenda. Our CEO authored the Quirk Review, which suggested that “Community organisations can realise tremendous potential by taking on the management and ownership of community assets.” At the consultation on Thursday it was Aileen Buckton who suggested we consider “community asset transfer” and “social enterprises”. And now I have just learned that on the day of the consultation meeting the government announced that Lewisham, along with Bexley, Bromley, Croydon, Greenwich, Lambeth and Southwark, has been chosen as one of ten areas to pilot the Future Libraries Programme. I can’t understand why this wasn’t mentioned at the consultation meeting as local authorities had to make bids to be included so presumably Lewisham did.

As for the online consultation, I agree with BBW, who elsewhere said it was a waste of time. I also agree with you that it is unrepresentative and favours causes supported by the IT literate (although being IT literate is not the sole preserve of the middle classes). Last time I looked there were 101 posts and the population of Lewisham is over 250,000. I wonder how many people facing the 40p increase in the cost of Meals on Wheels have internet access?

BTW, some of the critics of the Library closure have suggested alternative cuts; like Lee and the assemblies, while the Conservatives favour slashing councils PR budget. Personally, I think it would be hard to justify spending anymore money on the things like the mosaic for the Naborhood Centre, while the Library is under threat.

I will leave to others to eloquently make the case why Libraries in general should be saved over other services. My concern is that Sydenham Library in particular should be saved for the reasons outlined by Lee above.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Heres the same thing from 5 years ago:
http://www.sydenham.org.uk/library_closure.html

Sign the petition here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savesydenhamlibrary/

Join the facebook campaign here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Syde ... 890?ref=nf

Follow the campaign on twitter here:
http://twitter.com/SYDENHAMLIBRARY
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

A link to all the proposed cuts across the board: http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres ... 20710.PDF.
olatunde

Post by olatunde »

did anyone else watch the bbc 1 news at 1pm about library cuts ?

in the meeting they told us its not about foot traffic, maybe someone should have told the bbc that,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11037964

the bbc is supose to be unbiased but the way this was read out it sounded like it was coming from the government direct.
lewisham is named in that news report.
I just love the way they can pull out of a hat the fact and figures of the amount of people using public libraries just when people are trying to save them.

BBC unbiased that will be the day.
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

olatunde wrote:did anyone else watch the bbc 1 news at 1pm about library cuts ?

in the meeting they told us its not about foot traffic, maybe someone should have told the bbc that,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11037964

the bbc is supose to be unbiased but the way this was read out it sounded like it was coming from the government direct.
lewisham is named in that news report.
I just love the way they can pull out of a hat the fact and figures of the amount of people using public libraries just when people are trying to save them.

BBC unbiased that will be the day.
I'm not quite sure why you've decided to try and turn a debate about the closure of Sydenham library into a rant about the BBC (do you work for the Daily Mail?) but, just for clarity, they are quoting from a government commissioned report and, if the supporters of the 'Save Sydenham Library' campaign want to have a voice in the wider media, maybe they should contact the BBC and report on the findings of the local meeting.

There's a funny thing about local news; quite often, you have to tell people that there is some..... :roll: