Sydenham Farmer's Market...??

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
veevee

Sydenham Farmer's Market...??

Post by veevee »

Hi everyone

I am really keen to start a farmer's market in Sydenham because I believe it could have a lot of positive effects for the local community: supporting local businesses, increasing choice to include organic, locally sourced food and generally bringing the community together on a monthly basis - not to mention its potential for really putting Sydenham on the map...

It may be a bit premature but I have also started a community page on Facebook to guage support. Check it out: Sydenham Farmer's Market (SE26)

I may be completely naive about what's involved but no harm in seeing whether its an idea that could grow wings. I have even contacted Lewisham Council to get the ball rolling...

Please let me know what you think...

Veevee
mummycat

Re: Sydenham Farmer's Market...??

Post by mummycat »

mwahhh!
Last edited by mummycat on 18 Jul 2011 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
girl_canuck

Post by girl_canuck »

I'd be SO into this if you can make it happen!! You should do some research into what ever happened to the Penge farmers market. I loved that until it disappeared without a trace...
veevee

Post by veevee »

Thanks for the heads up - I will certainly amend the proposed location outside Naborhood Centre - you make some valid points but don't want to give up on the Mayow Park option just yet (tho it may not be ideally placed for a market in terms of footfall, proximity to cash machines etc but I do love it!).

I will also check the facebook page and see how i can fix it so you can leave posts....

Let's give it a damn good try - I'll keep you posted!

Veevee
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Depending on how many stalls etc have you considered Crystal palace Park (corner of Thicket Road entrance) .............. if I recall you have a tarmac road about 400 yards from the entrance up to the sports centre.
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

really love the idea. Would be great addition to Sydenham. How about on a Sunday at the top of Venner Road (as it's shut off). There were proposals in the regeneration of the high street to put something here. Would also help to bring people onto the high street and stop off at Blue mountain, Sugar Hill, Kente or Billings etc on the way, which would be great for the area.
Cllr John Getgood

Post by Cllr John Getgood »

girl_canuck wrote:I'd be SO into this if you can make it happen!! You should do some research into what ever happened to the Penge farmers market. I loved that until it disappeared without a trace...
Penge Farmers' market worked well in Maple Road for several months. However, these Farmers Markets are not just an ad hoc collection of stalls. They are signed up to an organising company that sorts out the local infrastructure, publicity etc and runs several sites that it shares the stalls out between. In the case of Penge, it was the same company that runs Dulwich Collge market. Although some individual stalls did well in Maple Road, the organisers considered that the return to them was insufficient to make the market viable - and that was while the council were offering free pitches to encourage them. So, the organising company withdrew the stalls and re-allocated them to another market. In the end it's all down to footfall.

Since then, we've failed to attract individual stalls to Maple Road. There's just Rachel's flowers left. You should also be aware that there was a market on Crystal Palace parade but that went the same way as Penge.

Hope that is helpful.

Cllr John Getgood
Penge & Cator
veevee

Post by veevee »

Really valuable to hear about what worked and didn't work in penge and I really like JonekT's idea of Venner Rd because its cordonned off, right opposite Sydenham stn and clearly visible from Sydenham Rd so would really address the footfall issue quite nicely.

PLEASE check out Sydenham Farmer's Market (SE26) on Facebook and click "like" so we can try and drum up support...

Might be worth bringing our local councillor for Sydenham into the conversation...

Veevee
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Would be great and food must be better than the items emanating from most of the fast food outlets in Sydenham Road.
Suggest you avoid the no go area round the street swearers and drinkers
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

Am I wrong in thinking that as part of the High Street plans - there was talk of blocking off the end of Queensthrope road permanatly ? - could we not get the council to maybe use this end of Queensthrope by Nat West as a possible test for this blocking off and use it for this farmers market one Sunday ? - I can see it working out? - its nicely central on Sydenham Road/Sydenham Town Centre - thoughts ?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Sounds a good idea. Hope Council agrees.
poppy

Post by poppy »

When I heard about the Penge relaunch I contacted the organisation involved and suggested Sydenham. I also recommended the top of Venner Road as it is closed off and is directly opposite Sydenham. I had no response, it was ages ago though. Maybe if others did the same they might consider it....
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

there is an organisation for farmers markets in London, and they have a website... http://www.lfm.org.uk
The run a fairly new on in Bermondsey Square, just off Tower Bridge Road, which even though it started in November has done remarkably well. There's a thread about it here

The nearest to here are Brixton and Blackheath (both every Sunday 10-2)

Maybe contact them with suggestions.
veevee

Post by veevee »

So I have been in touch with Lewisham Highways Team regarding the proposed Farmer's Market and although there seems to a be a bit of chin-scratching but they have invited me to submit the Market proposal with some location options. I have identified three possible locations and want to demonstrate that I've considered the pros and cons of each - please let me know if I there are any glaring omissions...(I have left Mayow Park off as an option as although it would be wonderful to have it there I think footfall from Sydenham Rd and proximity to ATMs makes it a loss generator for stall owners).

Venner Rd
Pros - cordoned off, proximity to Sydenham station, ATMs, parking options along Venner Rd and neighbouring streets, green area by Lloyds which could hold a couple of stalls, good footfall from Sydenham Rd
Cons - disabled parking bays, residents parking, access to Canal Walk

Queensthorpe Rd
Pros - good footfall from Sydenham Rd, proximity to ATMs, parking options along the Thorpes
Cons - not cordoned off, residents parking, through traffic

Station Approach
Pros - good footfall from stn and Sydenham Rd, proximity to ATMs, parking options along Silverdale and neighbouring streets
Cons - road owned by Network Rail which may charge for market stalls, taxi rank

The gentleman I spoke to seemed to think residents of the first two would be unhappy about giving up their parking spaces but I think people would see that the benefits of having a monthly farmer's market on their doorstep would outweigh the inconvenience of having to park elsewhere for a few hours one Sunday a month.

I have also written to Cllr. Chris Best and am hopeful she will reply before the Sydenham Assembly this Saturday as I would really like to raise this proposal for discussion there.

Once I have an early draft, I would be happy to share the proposal paper with anyone who wishes to see it.

Please let me have your thoughts,

Veevee
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sydenh ... 57?ref=sgm
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Go for it.

I think if you get the location right they'll be massive interest in Sydders. I'll be there purchasing fine produce.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

goodbye
Last edited by mummycat on 18 Jul 2011 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

veevee wrote:I think people would see that the benefits of having a monthly farmer's market on their doorstep would outweigh the inconvenience of having to park elsewhere for a few hours one Sunday a month.
I'd like a farmer's market in Sydenham; I currently make the trip to the Blackheath one every couple of weeks. However, having it on Venner Road is a daft idea and I think you'll find that us residents won't see that the benefits of the market would outweigh having to get up at stupid o'clock to move our cars to some unspecified location - where do you suggest? Venner Road's parking spaces are usually full all the way down to Penge East, especially at times of day when everyone is still in bed.
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

How about the car park at the back of the pet shop?
pip

Post by pip »

I think the car park behind the pet shop is owned by The Co op.
veevee

Post by veevee »

I spoke with the Markets Team already and they informed me that Farmer's Markets are not within their remit (!) and that I should speak with Planning - who in turn threw it over to Highways who have finally been able to give me a concerte next step in the process...

Chazza - its just a suggestion and I appreciate your feedback - what about the u-shaped section of venner road before the main residential stretch ie. the Sydenham Rd side of the bollards??

Its looking like Station Approach or a car park off Sydenham Rd would be the least controversial...

Keep the input coming though - its all good :D

Veevee