Freeview Signal in Lower Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Nickerbockers

Freeview Signal in Lower Sydenham

Post by Nickerbockers »

I just wondered if anyone else is having the huge problems I'm having with Freeview signals. I'm not sure if it's to do with the big block of flats that are being built next door or if there's a problem in the area, but my Freeview was okay, and suddenly is awful! It breaks up whenever a neighbour moves, whenever a large vehicle goes by and if someone is outside. I live in Kent House Road; is it just me or is anyone else having problems. If it's the building next door, I'm stuck with this, which I find hard to accept! :|
Nickerbockers

Re: Freeview Signal in Lower Sydenham

Post by Nickerbockers »

Just me then... :(
michael

Post by michael »

It might be worth buying a signal booster (available from Maplin etc). I use this to stop my freeview picture breaking up when the wind blows.
gurka

Post by gurka »

I actually live on the same road (home park) but I have a excellent signal, are you using a indoor or roof aerial ? the transmitter is actually in crystal palace ! (You can see it !), it may even be too strong a signal (I can use a metal coat-hanger and still get a strong signal). If you have a old style VCR try putting the aerial into the VCR and then aerial out into your set top box / dvb-t device as this should attenuate the signal (boost it).
jmc

Post by jmc »

Your so close to the transmitter you shouldn't have a problem, even with a small aerial.

One thing that can be a cause of this type of problem is interference from a newly positioned electronic device if its put too close to the freeview box/telly.

Have you put any electronic devices in your home just before the problem started? Try moving everything around near the set-top box/telly, to see if something is causing interference.
Wing

Post by Wing »

If it is a strong signal causing the problem try using aerial attenuator which you can get from Maplin for a fiver. I have a Pioneer freeview box which suddenly developed pixelations, image distortions etc only on ITV and Channels 4 and 5. Th problem went away after inserting a attenuator on the aerial input on the freeview box.
pip

Post by pip »

I live off Adamsrill Rd and only this week I bought a battery operated amplified ariel from Jeffs pound shop for about ten pounds. This sorted out the freeview telly in the front bedroom immediately.
gurka

Post by gurka »

As wing has said it could be too strong a signal (hence the VCR solution).
When I used to live in church road dowager the bellua hill end I was Never able to get a signal as I was too close and the signals pasted over !
Not a problem now but come 2011 you may want to connect a coat hanger as once the digital switch over is completed for 2012 the output of the transmitter will rise and a normal aerial may even overload the tuner.
Ok I'll get my coat on the way out.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image