Chinese shop - Tom Yum Paste

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
jamiese26

Chinese shop - Tom Yum Paste

Post by jamiese26 »

Hi there,

Does anyone know if there is a Chinese / S.E. Asian-type store in the locality. I would really like to buy some Tom Yum paste and wonder if I've got to go to Dulwich to get some!

Thanks!
Wing

Re: Chinese shop - Tom Yum Paste

Post by Wing »

You may want to try Wing Tai Supermarket in Peckham High St (near to Morrisons Supermarket)
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

There's quite large Chinese supermarket in East Croydon on Church Street (roughly where Argos is). There's also one in Camberwell.

Also, SMB foods in East Dulwich will probably sell it.
Willy

Post by Willy »

go to Wing Yip near Five Ways in Croydon, they sell any Asian thing you could want and it's very cheap, plus you can have some dim sum before you start which is nice.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

Forget the place in East Croydon (church street). Went there today and the building is being demolished.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

If you're driving, Wing Yip is great. Otherwise, I tend to trek all the way into China town to New Loon Moon. Their Thai ingredient selection is fantastic.
mosy

Post by mosy »

jamiese26, well, tom yum is Thai, so not sure if Chinese stores would stock it. I'll ask and get back to you.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hi again.

I'm told that some Sainsburys stock it, so the big one down the road might. There's a phone number on their map site here if you click on Syd, first item: http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/storelo ... uation.jsp#

Can buy online at Wing Yip - five items shown on their website: http://www.wingyipstore.co.uk/searchmain.php [Edit: You need to type "Tom Yum" into the Search box.]

HTH

Edit again: Sainsbury sell some in Aisle 6, Special Selection. 227g £1.99 (per phone info).
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I remembered this thread when I just passed a new Chinese food shop/small supermarket at 361 New Cross Road...about 2 mins walk from New Cross Gate railway station (turn left as you walk out)

not been in it but probably the closest and quickest to get to from Sydenham.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
thaiadd

Post by thaiadd »

It might be easier to buy all asian ingredients for Tom Yum like paste, lemongrass, galangal usw in one set online. :!: Check this tom yum shop: http://tomyumrecipe.com/