UPDATED Weather and travel

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Thomas

Re: Weather and travel

Post by Thomas »

Managed to get a train from Victoria to Syd Hill last night at about 6ish which was fine, and got a train into Victoria this morning at about 9:15
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I have a midday train to catch from Euston so, anticipating the worst, left the house at 0845 ready for an epic journey...... as it happens, I go the 0906 LO service to Dalston Junction which was running on time (!) changed at Whitechapel for a Hammersmith and City line train and got to Euston at 1000....perfect journey to be honest. Now I'm left with 2 hours to kill in the comfort of the first class lounge :P

Sydenham had several cancellations this morning, so not perfect - but things seemed to be moving at least.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

From what I can glean the assumption atm is:

Overground: 30 min service from WC via Syd to DJ. 15 min service from NCG.
Southern: 30 min service EC via Syd to LBG
SouthEastern: 30 min service Penge East/Syd Hill to Vic.

Nothing via Crystal Palace.

Buses OK. Hence you can get into London if you need to. Just wrap up as schedules are 'advisory'. No snow forecast today so unlikely to be a deteriation tonight. But don't leave it too late!

Keep cool,
Admin
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Latest I am hearing is that London Overground seem to be having trouble (again) running services south of New Cross Gate and that the half-hourly London-Bridge to East Croydon Southern shuttle service is struggling to stay on schedule.

For the third day this week, what TfL say abotu LO on their website bears no resemblance to reality.

I'm off to work in Croydon....on a 75 bus.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looks like the Victoria/Syd Hill/Penge East route has gone down. Nat Rail are now saying all cancelled and routeing people to East Croydon and then back up the Sydenham line.

Things might change again by rush/hush hour but don't count on it ... I'll hopefully have someone at Vic to confirm the position after 5.

Admin
parklife

Re: UPDATED Weather and travel

Post by parklife »

Thanks for that Admin

Does anyone know if london bridge to sydenham ok ?
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

I know I'm stating the obvious but Southern are updating their website every now and again with travel info:

http://www.southernrailway.com/

They are currently saying:

"Southern is asking passengers to ensure they commence their homeward journeys by 19.30 at the latest."
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

SOUTHERN SERVICES will wind down from 7pm tonight. Last trains will be much much earlier than usual.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Digime beat me to it lol bloody mobiles :) anyone travelling after half 7 tonight pm me.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just a reminder the 176 is running. I've seen them! It might be the most reliable way home if not the speediest.

Routeing for those unfamilar: Tottenham Court Road - Charing Cross - Aldwych - Waterloo - Elephant & Castle ... Forest Hill - Kirkdale - Lawrie Park Road - Penge

And it runs 24/7.

Admin
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

also running would be the N63, which goes up Sydenham Rise, and then to Crystal Palace, but both these routes go up/down large steep hills, so the possibility of getting stuck would be higher.

I'm going into the west end from work to see Priscilla - The musical tonight, and I guess I'm going to be coming back around 10pm or later - no trains likely, no overground either by the looks of it, so I'll have to get a 176.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

If anyone is coming back from town later tonight, don't forget the DLR. It is running smoothly, and you can get the 75 bus from there to Sydenham in about 15 mins. We did it last night at about 10:45 - no problems at all.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just in: Victoria to Syd Hill/Penge East is RUNNING. About every 30 minutes. 5.25, 5.55, 6.25 ...

Admin
Susie1791

Post by Susie1791 »

Trains from cannon street to lower Sydenham are currently running on time and half empty.

Search East

Post by Search East »

Got the 18:20 back from London Bridge to Sydenham, only 10 min delay and LB is not very busy. According to the info boards up, most services will end or be reduced at 19:30 tonight.

Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Had a speedy journey home from the West End late this evening (11.00) on the 176, but it was uncomfortably overcrowded until about Camberwell Green.

Why are the trains still in difficulty now the snow has stopped (for the moment anyway)?
mikej

Post by mikej »

No idea, apart from unbelievable incompetence!

Tried to get a train to Bromley today after failing to get on a 227 bus (both were full) but those useless b*astards Southeastern can't seem to run a bath, let alone a railway. Nothing arrived or left at Kent House between 2 and 2.45, at which point I went back home in disgust.
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Robin Orton wrote:Why are the trains still in difficulty now the snow has stopped (for the moment anyway)?
There are explanations, but in my experience people don't like to hear explanations, only solutions.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

in my experience people don't like to hear explanations, only solutions.
Not true in this case, 'Checkmate' so far as I am concerned. I 'm genuinely curious. Something to do with rolling stock being in the wrong place, perhaps?
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

it is still cold, and this can affect things even when the snow has cleared; frozen points, or other parts of the track, and older stock can suffer from cold related problems, grit on the live running track can cause sparks, and electricity cut outs as the trains pass over it... and of course, carriages now in the wrong place.