UPDATED Weather and travel

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Checkmate

UPDATED Weather and travel

Post by Checkmate »

A light dusting overnight then heavy snow for the last hour or two.

How's it looking out there? Pavements, buses, trains?

Luckily I am not working today, but how has the commute been?

Share stories, anyone?
Willy

Re: Weather and travel

Post by Willy »

No problems, train was a couple of minutes late but that haappens nearly every day anyway. No snow on the ground in town.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Its snowing up here in Westminster. I would be gratefull if you could keep an eye out for us in Syd and let us know if we should be running for the hills before rush hour.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I retreated to my Welsh redoubt yesterday (only just - nobody told me there was a tube strike!). No snow and warmer then Sydders.

Look forward to seeing some pretty piccies to tempt me home

Admin
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Am about to head up to London Bridge. Will report via moby en route.

Seems things ran pretty smoothly in the rush hour but if it keeps coming down like this, might be probs tonight.
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Minor train delays of a few mins, LOROL staff diligently shovelling snow away from platform edge, footbridge needs to be negotiated slowly.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

.... thanks, that's good to know. What we need up here though is news from people in Syd to tell us what its like there, and when its time to come home, if indeed we need to leave early. Its stopped here, not laid either.
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Very light snow right now, compared with earlier.

Wouldnt like to say what the pavements will be like tonight though
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

its only just eased up - its settled too....

apparently the trains are running ok though.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

My service from Sydenham Hill to Victoria ran only slightly late this morning, but with fewer carriages after problems elsewhere on the network. Shame - I quite fancied the day off!
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

I think it would take a bit more than this to get the day off. A good downfall tonight, that's what we need. When it happened a couple of years ago we went to the Dartmouth and the atmosphere was great, lots of people decided to go to the pub for lunch, everyone was in a good mood.
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Within the last ten mins its started coming down really heavily, worst I've seen all day....if it snows this hard for much more than an hour or two I think evening commute home could get a bit naughty...
simon

Post by simon »

Here in Sydenham it has been snowing heavily for a good while now and is settling on the roads. Could be tricky after dark when it drops below freezing, is currently just above.
I'm going out to run some errands and will report with pictures later. I may be some time .......
Marathon

Post by Marathon »

Just tried to drive up Westwood Hill. Not much traction so thought the better of it and returned home to sit in front of a nice warm fire with a stiff whiskey instead

Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Thanks for the updates, I'll be leaving at four o'clock. Nice to know someone is cosy and warm.
syd

Post by syd »

Thanks for the updates
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Just been out round the shop.... stopped snowing, roads slushy, side road pavements slippy but do-able, high street pavements gritted.
Frangipan

Post by Frangipan »

The TFL website is showing severe delays on the Overground. Has anyone had problems? What are the LB trains like?

I can't leave work for another half hour and I'm in NW London so will be at Canada Water or LB around 6pm. Any advice from those who have been there?
Tiptopform

Post by Tiptopform »

Just to let those of you who are battling home by bus, to and through Sydenham, that we have seen neither a 176 nor a 197 going in either direction down Lawrie Park Road for the best part of the afternoon. I can't find any info on the web about diversions or curtailment of the routes but no buses appear to be in evidence. It's still snowing... Good luck!
Frangipan

Post by Frangipan »

Well, to answer my own question, it's a nightmare. No trains out of London bridge or Canada water. On a 171 bus, not sure what from there...