The Old Snooker Hall

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
fishcox

The Old Snooker Hall

Post by fishcox »

Does anyone know who owns the old snooker hall, and whether it is still totally empty?

Does the LA Fitness encroach on any of the old space - or are they separate?

Any advice much appreciated,
leenewham

Re: The Old Snooker Hall

Post by leenewham »

As an aisde, I haven't played snooker for years, is there anywhere near here you can play that isn't a total dive?
simon

Post by simon »

There is a table at the Livsey hall that I quite fancy.
I used to be member if the London Snooker Club in Brockley, but it has closed down. There was also a club in Penge, but I don't know if its still open. Smoking ban killed off a lot of clubs.
Let me know if you fancy a game at the Livsey Lee.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Ah, I've always wanted to go there. Yeah, I'd be up for a game one evening. I'll dust off my old Tony 'I once beat Steve Davies 10-1 and why did I ever appear on Superstars' Knowles cue.

How do you book a table, have you been?
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Who here used to play at Slates in Forest Hill? And what's the connection with Snooker halls and cannabis? Most patrons are usually baked.
simon

Post by simon »

Never played Slates BBW, a few up towards the Old Kent Road a while back, but only London Snooker Club locally.
Yes, in recent years a lot of clubs turned a blind eye to whatever you were smoking. I'm told moderate use doesn't actually affect performance but does slow down play.

Perhaps we should start a thread on the sports thread and organise a Forum knock out cup at the Livsey.

Lee, no idea how to book but I'll find out. A game over the holidays could be a welcome release!

Socially, for me snooker is like golf but has the advantages of being a lot cheaper and playable at night.
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

I was always better at Pool, even moreso now my eyesight has gone, but I'll put 10 bob on the table and play the winner.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I'm so glad that I have managed to improve the festive social lives of the forum, but it hasnt got me any closer to finding out about the actual premises themselves, and who owns the building.

Would it be likely that the whole of Cobbs Corner building (from Ring O Roses right down to Zanzibar, and all inbetween and above/below) is owned by the same person/company?

I used to play in the club in Penge - reached through the alley way next to the old police station. Wasted many a night in there - and 'wasted' many a night in there.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

fishcox wrote:I'm so glad that I have managed to improve the festive social lives of the forum, but it hasnt got me any closer to finding out about the actual premises themselves, and who owns the building.

Would it be likely that the whole of Cobbs Corner building (from Ring O Roses right down to Zanzibar, and all inbetween and above/below) is owned by the same person/company?
If you're really keen to find out, you might want to do a search with the Land Registry. It's £4 per property for the title deed and another £4 if you want the title plan.

More info at https://www.landregistry.gov.uk/wps/por ... rty_Search
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Thanks Biscuitman
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Did you get anywhere fishcox?

Whenever I pass it it reminds me of a book I read by John King where the main character gains access to an old snooker club and everything is still in there, he obtains the lease and re-vitalises it amongst his mates and mates of mates...

G-Man
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I did mate - yes.

I'm having a look round it on Sunday, God willing.

I dont want to reopen it as a snooker hall though - I dont think there is much of a future there - but I am still chasing my pizza restaurant dream.

I've been looking for good premises forever, and when the HSBC went, I suddenly realised it could be right under my nose.

Fingers crossed - feedback appreciated (again).

Lee - any chance of doing your magic tricks with Photoshop?
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Ah, I see.

Do you think that with Raff's Italian there is a need for a Pizza restaurant? I understand it will be a slightly different proposition but you could end up competing for the same market and forcing each other under, if that makes sense?

G-man
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I know what you are saying - but I think the area is big enough to sustain two/three places (if you include Amore too) and i would be aiming at a slightly different market, possibly younger. Playing (not blaring) current music - a different atmosphere.

Interested to hear all feedback.
tjc

Post by tjc »

Ideal place for a wine bar that does reasonably priced food.
LivesNearby

Post by LivesNearby »

Now if you can replicate these pizzas I'll be there like a shot :)
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

i would be aiming at a slightly different market, possibly younger. Playing (not blaring) current music - a different atmosphere.
Current 'pop' music, I assume, 'fishcox',- 'rock 'n' roll', that sort of thing? Thanks for the warning anyway. (Pity, we shall soon be looking for somewhere new and different for our ruby wedding celebration! )
robor2b102

Post by robor2b102 »

Preferably no 'fishcox'.

Whatever that may be.

I just don't like the sound of it.

Thanks.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I've been away for a bit (NOT at her majesties pleasure!).

Being friends with Raph and Trattoria, I'd prefer another restaurant here, something that did something different. We just got back from Bruge (not me and Raph, me and my better half!) and the vast majority of restaurants there had exactly the same menu. They all seemed to copy one another with exactly the same menu (we eventually found a few that travelled a different path, one was excellent and it was the only one that was busy).

I understand (before my time in Sydenham) there was an excellent Turkish Restaurant which did well, and before long there were 2 or 3 of them. Now (unfortunately) we have none. It may be that there are genuine reasons why that is the case, but my guess is that by copying them they diluted the customer base so none of them could survive.

If Sydenham had a name as a great place to eat out in the evening, if we were a destination like East Dulwich or Crystal Palace then I would say it's a great idea. But currently we are not such a place. I wish is was but we just aren't. We DO need other GOOD places to go and eat in the evening to open up choice to attract evening trade which will help make the high street feel safer and more inviting. This will help the likes of the Dolphin or Trattoria. But I'm just not convinced that we need another Italian. Not yet anyway.

Sorry Fishcox, I wish you every success and I admire anyone wishing to invest in Sydenham. It may be worth conducting a survey outside the station. It appears as if hardly anyone starting a new bricks and mortar business seems to do this which I find amazing, remember the people who took over the Mexican place which didn't even know they had called their restaurant almost the same name as Trattoria a few doors up and didn't even know it was there! I'm not suggesting this is the case with you, but it may be worth conducting a survey to find a niche which people genuinely want and will take to their hearts as a local treasure.

Other thoughts, I'd make it visible on the high street and place it close to other restaurants. Is the old Snooker place that visible, can you have a look in as you walk by? I'd guess not.

Grouping restaurants together will make the whole 'Sydenham us a great place to eat' offer stronger. Crystal Palace does this really well. One side of their triangle is for food, another for antiques and another for interesting little small boutique style shops. Supermarkets do it, they are essentially high streets under one roof and it works.

It's starting to happen in Sydenham. The cafes are close to one another and all seem to be doing well. When they were all spread out they failed, like the 'Premier' cafe. We now have a middle 'buy food here' section with Fresh and Fruity, PFC, Billings etc. Is it an accident that the two places to buy school uniforms are close to one another? Maybe nearer the Dolphin we will have a 'come here to eat out section, right next to the car park.

Jesters, the place with the fruit machines (I've never seen a customer in there yet) would have been a great place for a restaurant if you agree with the above.
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

I would definately agree about having to be visable. If people can't see you, they don't know (or can forget) you are there. I often go glance at the dolphin when I'm driving past, if there looks like atmosphere/ busy then I might pop in later (particularly at Christmas). Same with billings, I walk past in on the way to the station everyday- it's free adverising as it reminds me to pop in on the weekend. I'm not sure the old snooker hall has that same location.
Also I would say the italian is brilliant in Sydenham. Went there at Christmas and food and service was exellent. For me, if I wanted Italian locally there would have to be something absolutely spectacular for me to regularly go there instead.
Having said that, I would love a Thai to open in Sydenham or somewhere that does great British/ European food (& even a great roast dinner). I would then be a very good customer! I definately think Sydenham could accomodate a few nice & varied restaurants.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image