Attempted Burglary alert

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Labanised

Attempted Burglary alert

Post by Labanised »

Happy New Year!
My first time on a forum so, hello to you all.

A week before xmas, whilst washing dishes, I heard a noise in my garden (around 9pm) and dismissed it until my cat bristled and ran to the door. I instantly knew it wouldn't be another cat as i was also singing rather badly as I washed up so, decided it was an unfriendly visitor hoping to give me a hand with the dishes.
I burst out of my back door door making one heck of a noise and 'disturbed' 3 rather unsavoury looking dish-washing volounteers. The first was at my neighbours back doors trying to force it open; the second was straddling my garden fence (presumably to pass goods over) and the third was toward the back of the garden. They all scarpered * details edited for prudence and personal safety* and I kept making noise until my neighbour emerged from his flat. It turns out that they had actually managed to remove his door handle and were pushing the door open as I disturbed them. He was putting his child to sleep with his other half until he'd heard me yelling and tried to open his back door but, the handle came off in his hand.
Speaking to the police, I was able to give a description of one of the miscreants and I did recall hearing my doorbell being rung a few moments earlier (ignored as not expecting visitors). My neighbour had heard the same and also decided not to answer the door.
Having seen their entry/ exit route, I contacted the person who's garden they'd entered via and recounted events and also asked the police to provide some assistance to the vulnerable person living there. There were no security measures preventing people gaining access to their garden or properties behind from the street however, being aware of the situation is a start. My cat got extra food and is still allowed to claw the sofa as a reward.
Last edited by Labanised on 5 Jan 2011 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
bensonby

Re: Attempted Burglary alert

Post by bensonby »

Good to hear you disrupted them. There has been a large increase in the number of burglaries recently across the borough...
Labanised

Post by Labanised »

I think that being as vigilant as reasonably possible or at least aware that the risk of burglary (or any crime) is very real, goes some way to staying safe. All my immediate neighbours were made aware of events so, there are now hopefully more sets of eyes watching out for shady characters out back. A security flood-light at least deprives burglars of the ability to sneak through gardens undetected at night so, it's a no-brainer and was cheaper than a round of drinks for me to buy & install. The police were fantastic in their response and when I described one of the guys, it appears he is known to them.
I just wanted you all to be aware as I think that they used the technique of one guy ringing doorbells and the others doing the actual deed out back.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Hello and welcome Labanised,
any chance of a description of these 3 miscreants?
Labanised

Post by Labanised »

Hi there,
the chap whose face I saw was darker than Colin Jackson but, not as dark as Michael Johnson (athletes, both), *he had a distinctive feature and was approximately 6'2" and well built. The other 2 chaps were both dark-skinned black males wearing black but, I can't be more descriptive I'm afraid as, they took off like rockets.
What I can say is that half an hour later, I saw the same chap coming out of Cost-Cutter next to the Woodman and heading towards a pale green 3 door car. Funnily enough, I saw 3 other chaps dressed in black sat in the car. I just thought it good luck that I was able to give the police a description and then seeing him again confirmed the description I gave.
* details have been edited for reasons of prudence and personal safety.
Last edited by Labanised on 5 Jan 2011 09:34, edited 1 time in total.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

did you pass on that detail about the car to police? It sounds quite significant...

quite a distinctive description though: hopefully they can bring him in.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Would be great if they are caught and locked up for min 10 years ( not Ford Open prison please ).

Trouble is from what you hear posibility they would not even see prison.
Labanised

Post by Labanised »

Hi Bensonby,
I told them about the car but, it was the distinctive detail that piqued their interest.
I wasn't able to provide registration details though as, I 'd walked right behind the rear bumper as I'd walked toward the shops and to attempt to make a note of the registration would've put me at risk, I felt.
*details amended for reasons of prudence and personal safety* I just hope they consider our area too much hassle to come back to since they've already been disturbed in the act so, have lost the cover of stealth and catching residents by surprise (either by method of entry or time of committing the act).
Last edited by Labanised on 5 Jan 2011 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

Thanks for the warning and glad you managed to scare them off. Any chance of knowing what road your in? I live in Halifax Street and about 4 years ago, we had a string of burglaries in the week before christmas, including my own house, where i had the unfortunate experience of walking into my house at lunchtime only to find the burglars in my bedroom. Not an experience i want to repeat! Most of the houses now have alarms, and much stronger doors etc, its amazing how complacent you can be thinking it wont happen to you, and not having secure back doors etc. Good idea about the light, its the little things which help most. The police told me that a burglar wants to get in and out as quick as possible. Anything which makes it difficult puts them off...lights, a radio inside on when your out, strong locks. After it happened to me i put a bigger padlock on the conservatory doors....and noticed about a week after christmas marks on the doors to denote that someone had tried to get access again but obviously failed. So you can never be too complacent.
Labanised

Post by Labanised »

Hi there, i'm only a few streets from Halifax Street and yes, you're absolutely right about the little things making a difference.
The police told me the same thing and I agree about not making it as easy as pie for them.
The guys in Sydenham DIY are great in this area and if the expense of an alarm/ new doors etc is too big a hit to take in one go, they can still help and advise with things like secure locks, lights and timers.
Even B&Q were doing plug in timers for £1 recently!!!
Crime will happen anywhere so I went for a bit of kit over a bottle of xmas JD and feel a bit more reassured.
sydersse26

Post by sydersse26 »

hi all,

i had the same thing on new years day.

I live in a block of flats off of kirkdale.

all the door bells were rang someone in my block must have let two men in wth the same description described above they knocked on every door and tried to kick one down i made a noise from my door and they cleared off very worrying!
Yibbayibba

Post by Yibbayibba »

I was at home today and I heard a noise I assumed was my partner coming in through the front door. I then heard the sound of breaking glass and assuming he'd dropped something went to check he was OK. Imagine my surprisen when there was nobody there, but the bathroom window had been forced open to the extent that the downpipe was in three pieces in my garden, on subsequent examination (after the police had arrive, that is) and the bath tap was running (where Mr. Invisible had fallen onto it trying to climb in, presumably) and the glass that our toothbrushes used to live in was smashed into a million pieces in the bath, hence what was what alerted me.

This was at 6.30 pm! I'd only stepped out of the front door minutes before to put rubbish out. It appears that the rubbish bin was then used as a climbing aid to gain access to the bathroom window.

Be security aware, people, and don't assume that because you are home and it's barely dark that your home is safe from people that clearly think they have a right to come in without your express invitation.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am getting fed up with the crime from the non working classes.
Penalty for burglary so low ( not even custodial for some ) that nothing to stop them.

Breaking and entering should be minimum 5 years then they might think twice.
Annie

Post by Annie »

I am getting fed up with the crime from the non working classes.
Penalty for burglary so low ( not even custodial for some ) that nothing to stop them.

Breaking and entering should be minimum 5 years then they might think twice.
To be honest Eagle,I think that if you are of a certain nature then nothing will stop you.
The lowest of the low who steal from others,probably have nothing to lose from being put in side, in fact its 3 square meals a day,washing done for you,tv to watch, company if you want it etc,
infact its like hoildays that I take ! :D
Annie

Post by Annie »

rod taylor wrote:Reading the Original Post I'm amazed at how many people don't answer the doorbell when it rings. At the very least it would have stopped the burglary in this case!
Then again Rod, the doorbell could be a distraction.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Well said Anne.

Guess I should put in a machine gunpost.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:lol:

Think i'll wire my knocker up to the electric! 8)
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Annie wrote:
:lol:

Think i'll wire my knocker up to the electric! 8)

Why not both of them ?

:D
Labanised

Post by Labanised »

rod taylor wrote:Reading the Original Post I'm amazed at how many people don't answer the doorbell when it rings. At the very least it would have stopped the burglary in this case!
Hi, I don't think it's remotely amazing that people don't answer their doorbell if they don't want to. I just think that some people will if they feel to but, if I'm not expecting visitors and don't want to be disturbed for whatever reason, I just won't answer it.
I'd agree that answering the doorbell 'could' have stopped the attempted burglary but, that is certainly not a given outcome.

Given the size (big), number (more than me) and intent (handle removed/ pushing door open) of these chaps, they would have seen the size of at least one of the occupants in the house had somebody answered the doorbell and thus knowing the nature of the obstacle they're facing 'could' make it easier for them to settle on a particular property (single female alone or vulnerable elderly person etc).
When I burst out and surprised them, they had no idea of who or what threat there was other than it was loud, angry and getting closer.

I think what is more important to gain from my original post is that the attempt took place and to alert other users of the forum to a technique used by these guys. I'm pleased to say that the route the chaps took to exit the gardens has been blocked off since. More eyes being aware and making it more difficult for things like that to happen in future is good by me.
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

Is it complacency? Maybe it is fear of answering the door to strangers/relative strangers? Maybe they weren't in a sociable mood?

If I am not expecting a visit from someone I won't open the door until I have ascertained who they are and what they want - but I probably err on the side of caution as a woman who lives alone a flat for a proportion of the time (if my partner was there I would be less cautious). Having said that, I know all of my neighbours and would always answer the door to them.