ELL service to Highbury and Islington starts next month

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Brockley Nick

ELL service to Highbury and Islington starts next month

Post by Brockley Nick »

There will be a soft launch of the northern extension of the ELL service in February according to this report. http://brockleycentral.blogspot.com/201 ... start.html
DanW

Re: ELL service to Highbury and Islington starts next month

Post by DanW »

Great news - Thanks for the post Brockley Nick!
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

I wonder if it will be quicker to go to Highbury and Islington and get the Victoria line south than to fiddle with the Jubilee Line and Victoria Line (to get to Oxford Circus, where I work)...
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

If you can't walk far, apologies as am unaware.

When I 'do' Oxford St/Circus I go from FH to Canada Water on the Overground and then the Jubilee to Bond St. Usually takes a total of 26-30 mins.

The news about Islington is great, I used to stagger with heavy work bags in the FH crush to London Bridge then Northern Line Torture to Angel and then the bus ......
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

Well that's what I do now, but the Jubilee line is broken down so often ...
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

JeeBee wrote:I wonder if it will be quicker to go to Highbury and Islington and get the Victoria line south than to fiddle with the Jubilee Line and Victoria Line (to get to Oxford Circus, where I work)...
TfL Journey Planner (for a random date in March 2011) says that Sydenham to Oxford Circus via H&I will take 58 mins, compared to 32-35 mins for Sydenham to Bond Street via Canada Water.

So unless it will take you more than 25 minutes to walk from Bond Street to Oxford Circus (unlikely?), you're better off changing at Canada Water. Then again, that does leave you at the mercy of the Jubilee line...
Last edited by biscuitman1978 on 13 Jan 2011 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

All those Islington SE26 wanabes will now find it so much easier to come for a night out in the new trendy South East!
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

Yeah, that looks like the backup plan for when it the Jubbly goes awry rather than a viable option. Shame.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

I must be really lucky! I've never had a journey upset by Jubilee works/closures except at weekends and for worthwhile improvements .... and works that had had weeks of advance notice ..... my own fault for forgetting about them.

Given that the service usually runs every 2mins I reckon that 5 days out of 7, in exchange for improvements/extensions/whatever being performed on the other 2 is worth putting up with.

I must be very easily pleased eh? :P
LivesNearby

Post by LivesNearby »

Don't forget that the Jubilee Line upgrade is also due to be delivered this Spring (17 months late), so journey times (and capacity) should be improved there too.
rbmartin

Post by rbmartin »

The Jubilee seems to be getting worse with every week. First day back at work in January and it wasn't working, 2nd week back on a Monday Canada Water was closed for "overcrowding" and today I finally managed to get on a train on a Monday, but with severe delays and being crammed in like a sardine.

The ELL trains seem to be busier too.
syd

Post by syd »

Ell would be even better if Shoreditch was still in zone 2

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image