Greyhound to be run by owners of East Dulwich Tavern, etc.

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
chris_thomas

Re: Greyhound to be run by owners of East Dulwich Tavern, et

Post by chris_thomas »

To think it was the Two Halfs that so impressed me when I decided to move to Sydenham 11 years ago.

It was called the Two Halfs I assume because it was split into two distinct areas. A pub in the front half and an Indian Restaurant in the back half.

Decorated rather plushly serving fine beers. The pub was the posterboy for the regeneration of Sydenham.

I went back there a few months later with a hot date. Eager to impress her with my unique local hostelry. Alas, it now looked like something more from the Wild West...without a sheriff. Not a poppadom in site!

I'm glad to see things are changing for the better. Fingers crossed for the Greyhound.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Chris you tool a lady to The Two Halves.

Cannot be many ladies who have entered that establishment
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

Eagle wrote:Chris you tool ...
now THAT'S not very nice :lol:
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Last edited by mummycat on 18 Jul 2011 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
chris_thomas

Post by chris_thomas »

Eagle wrote:Chris you tool a lady to The Two Halves.
Freudian? lol
simon

Post by simon »

Chris, you went to the wonderful Pukka Bar. It was set up by one of the founders of St John in Smithfield and a lot money was spent on converting it from a carpet shop to something from Raj. Sadly, despite rave reviews, it folded after a few months due to lack of custom.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Chris I recall the Pukka Bar but believe it has been the 2 halves prior to 02 ?
Frangipan

Post by Frangipan »

but also a good quality Larger and eventually a Cider.
A pub management company that can't spell Lager?
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

Whatever, its only a spelling mistake, probably not worth a post.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Spelling is the most important tool in a posters arsenal, mainly because it's so easy to lessen the impact of an opinion.

Spelling Nazi's are the stinking putrid filth of the net :twisted:

It's the number one de-railer of heated debate.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mikecg wrote:Spelling Nazi's are the stinking putrid filth of the net :twisted:
Dodgy 'postrophe there Mike!

Admin
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

admin wrote:
mikecg wrote:Spelling Nazi's are the stinking putrid filth of the net :twisted:
Dodgy 'postrophe there Mike!

Admin

Spurious apostrophe are added for affect because I recognise they are the bane of an internet pedant's life.

As their ethos is "If we can't get them on their spelling we'll get them on their punctuation."

:D
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

'Let's eat Grandma!'

'Let's eat, Grandma.'

Correct punctuation saves lives.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Readers of this Forum will have noticed that for a while there have been no postings from Bram, who is another one Mikecg will have thought a spelling Nazi. This is because Bram is dead, but before dying, he made his final confession to me. I tried to call in Fr Orton, but Bram got agitated, saying that as far as he could see, priests were not mentioned in James 5:16.

First he expressed his profound regret that he had ever upset anyone, and asked me to pass on his apologies. What finished him off was a programme on the BBC, 'Posh and getting posher' in which Andrew Neil blamed the ending of grammar schools for the increasing domination of English public life by products of the public schools and Oxford graduates.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... n_Britain/

Bram was one of those who benefited from the 11+, and then went on to Oxford. However, he left it not far off illiterate, thanks to an attitude that spelling really didn't matter, and a similarly cavalier approach to communication skills in general. But some years later, he told me, in a passing remark, someone - a woman - said this made him look ignorant. He took the lesson to heart, and spent many hours, over several years, identifying patterns and rules in English spelling, grammar and punctuation. In spite of this, he still occasionally made horrendous spelling mistakes, such as 'plummer' for 'plumber' or 'prisner' for 'prisoner'. The spelling of some words, he tells me, were forever linked to the person who first corrected him on them, and though at the time he might have felt mortified, he always appreciated these people taking the trouble to point out his mistakes. I have no reason to doubt that this was the spirit in which he sometimes commented on spelling and grammar on this Forum.

Even though a largely reformed character as regards spelling, Bram never felt that correct spelling was essential, and never assumed that people who did not spell correctly were less intelligent. He just didn't want them to get marked down by the people who do seem to think this. Sadly, his public spiritedness meant that he sometimes said and wrote things on this Forum where netiquette said he should not.

Which is where Andrew Neil and grammar schools come in. Bram felt strongly that it's not the lack of grammar schools that makes a difference, but that there are too many schools - regardless of type - from which kids emerge with the same attitudes he once had, and that in our wider society it's not the done thing to correct someone's grammar or spelling. If only there was a way to take them on one side and explain to them that such attitudes do them no favours, and that the remedy is in their hands, because they are not stupid, in the same way Bram was not.

Otherwise they are condemned to lives of unfulfilled potential, while those who attended schools where spelling and grammar did matter will both be better, more effective communicators, but also smugly bask in their comfortable self satisfied feelings of superiority.

This was Bram's last contribution to this Forum, brought to you now from beyond the grave. May he rest in peace, or for the benefit of BBW & Fr Orton, requiesat in pacem.

NB - I've just edited the 'requiestat' to 'requiesat', because that was a genuine typo. The 'pacem' was of course a gross blunder, which honesty compels me to leave as an awful warning!
Last edited by Tim Lund on 21 Mar 2011 13:00, edited 1 time in total.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Actually, it's 'requiescat in pace', Tim.

I hope you will find this correction helpful.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Last edited by mummycat on 18 Jul 2011 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
Syd_Stone

Post by Syd_Stone »

I have always assumed that "The Two Half's" is so called because it is the property of a gentleman by the name of Mr. Two Half. This thread is making me question that assumption.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Robin Orton wrote:Actually, it's 'requiescat in pace', Tim.

It's too late for Bram now. Maybe he was thinking of going gently into that good night, in which case, with a sense of movement towards, the accusative rather than the ablative would be ok? Or maybe he just got it wrong, and if your prayers on his behalf are not effective, he may come back, a penitent ghost, to thank you?
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Spelling is the most important tool in a posters arsenal, mainly because it's so easy to lessen the impact of an opinion.

Spelling Nazi's are the stinking putrid filth of the net

It's the number one de-railer of heated debate.
So it's okay to spell incorrectly on the internet is it? Why?

I can accept mistakes which are made when typing too fast, but mixing up words such as 'their' 'they're' and 'there' - in my opinion - is poor, in any medium.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Robin Orton wrote:Actually, it's 'requiescat in pace', Tim.

Will anyone on this Forum believe me? Until today I'd never noticed that C in 'requiescat'. In fact another perfect illustration of being embarrassed by my spelling, and not at all one I intended :oops: