Vote For Kirkdale Village Logo

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Robin Orton

Re: Vote For Kirkdale Village Logo

Post by Robin Orton »

Maybe somebody could regenerate Silverdale village and adopt Mayow Park as their own village cricket green?
But at least Kirkdale has its own shopping centre, Mummycat - a necessary if not sufficient condition for 'Village' status I'd have thought. I don't think Silverdale has? And, more importantly, is Silverdale (despite its proximity to the Thorpes) quite posh enough to be a Village?
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

Kirkdale Village? - do me a favour !!! - Kirkdale is a crappy hub or uninspired stores and run down pubs - I know the thoughts of trying to improve the areas image must be high on peoples agendas but the place is far from ready I feel for this renaming - another pipe dream from people who know nothing about this area or the majority or its occupants what about the Sydenham road renovations and the improvements to bell green?
shopgirl

Post by shopgirl »

marymck wrote: This area is the old heart of Sydenham (which is, after all, a living community ... not just traders). It's an area I feel quite passionate about.
Hi all. Just wanted to say that our inaugural meeting included local residents and community group representatives as well as traders, and we'd love more local input. Some of my customers have already talked about bringing pop-up shops and restaurants to Kirkdale; there was also talk of a photography project and a historic walk around the place. We are keen to hear from anyone with great ideas and enthusiasm. Viva Kirkdale!
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Last edited by mummycat on 17 Jul 2011 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

I'm in the process of buying in Fransfield Grove, and to be honest I'm a little depressed by all the negativity on here. Yes, the group of shops in the junction between Kirkdale and Dartmouth Road has seen better days, but at least there's a variety of shops, quirky little furniture shops and cafes. And at least someone is making an effort - what's the harm in it? And what are people trying to achieve by looking down their noses at it? Sneering, horrible comments don't achieve anything - if people are willing to put a bit of time and energy into trying to make something better, why not support it?

I'm sorry my first post is a moan, but having read this thread I'm starting to regret joining such a bunch of depressing naysayers.
Nature Boy

Post by Nature Boy »

Hear hear JulietP. Couldn't agree more. Who cares what the name is, the point is that a group of people have got together to try and do something to improve the area potentially giving that part of Sydenham a new vibrancy it has been lacking for a long time. You have to start somewhere so let's give them some support. I'm particularly disappointed in some of the comments from the regular users of this forum. The same people routinely post comments expressing a desire to see Sydenham improved and yet when someone tries to do just that theyre pounced upon. If you don't like it, don't moan about it and complain you weren't consulted. Get positively involved and influence it that way. I'm sure someone like jotbot would be delighted to hear some constructive suggestions.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
summerbreeze

Post by summerbreeze »

Is a community all about just the people that live there?
I like the idea that people that might just work here are trying to improve the area I live in too.
People will always find 100 reasons why something will not work. It takes the belief and passion of one to make it happen.
Good luck
richpickings

Post by richpickings »

As a resident of Kirkdale Village I welcome this. We have been calling it this ourselves for a number of years now. Why? Because it has the feel and community spirit of a village. I can't see why people have a problem with it. I note that most of them don't actually live up here - is it jealousy that we have that rare thing in London these days, a friendly neighbourhood with local shops and businesses that give great service and care about the community that they serve?
jotbot

Post by jotbot »

I have also lived here all my life, went to school here, work here, shop here and raise children here, attended my fair share of town steering meeting etc etc

I think some people are being a bit harsh we have fantastic quirky businesses here...

Alhambra's - never a dull moment here with the tea rooms and loads of activities.
Rams Newsagent - been here for 30 years and a local fav.
Georges- the most friendly barber also been here for a long time
The Mermaid- the best chunky chips in town in my opinion
JH Skincare - very classy establishment
Doors - Jim know everything about everything
Behind the boxes - a treasure trove of all things Deco
The Piano shop - beautiful music is always wafting out of this shop as you pass by.

Just to name a few...

plus a newly opened internet room, Sprakles & En Vouge, roofers, builders & soon a bakers.

There is room for more and we have been canvassing (on the ballott papers) the locals to ask what they would like to see and use in the area. In a bid to tempt these type of new businesses into the few reamining empty premisis which again will in turn smarten up the streetscape.

Is there anyone interested in opening up a Deli, coffee shop, thai corner cafe tribute... then we and your community are keen to have you here.

Thanks for the support too, this forum is a scary place!
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

You're right, jotbot. You just have to ignore them (you know who I mean), to try not to lose your temper or give in to bullying, and to keep polite. Not always easy.

Keep up the good work anyway - I'm sure the silent majority support you.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

jotbot wrote:
Be of good courage - you're never going to please everyone, and you're never going to get it exactly right, certainly not first time. But this thread is illustrating one of the main principles about using forums such as this for PR, i.e. that if people come in to have a go at you, but that other people actually like what you're doing, they will come in to support you. 'Kirkdale Village'? I'm not 100% sure, but as I wrote earlier, when I first saw this I thought 'yes'. Others may know more about branding than me, and I always think it worth listening, but that was how it struck me. In any case, it's great to see traders working together to do something positive!
richpickings

Post by richpickings »

There's an article entitled "Cool Kirkdale" in the latest edition of Transmitter magazine
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

To be fair to the majority of people who post on this forum, I would say the overall tone of this thread has not been typical. Yes there are some people who have robustly negative views, but most are very supportive of local businesses. If you have a look at other threads on similar themes, they are much more supportive.

What you do get on this forum is debate. We have recently been discussing the latest What If... for House of Linens. Perhaps it is because we are used to being invited to give our opinions on the branding of local businesses that we started picking apart the brand name 'Kirkdale Village'. Maybe next time we will wait to be asked!

I happen to like the look of the shops in 'upper' Kirkdale - there is a pleasing mix of quirky and useful. However, it's not a 'destination' for me as I don't live or work in that part of Sydenham, I would have to drive and parking is tricky. In fact, I most just drive through on my way to somewhere else, so I don't even know exactly what shops are there.

This got me wondering what the aim of the current campaign is and whether you could be using free online resources more effectively. I'm most likely to come to the area for something to eat and then stay to shop. For example, is there a coffee shop up there where I might arrange to meet friends? Are Alhambra's tea rooms always open and is that the sort of place I could pop in (for those of you who don't know, Alhambra has a lovely outdoor space, perfect for this time of year).

I think it's great that you want to get more footfall in your shops and cafes. So tell me more about why I should come.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Anything is better than 'Dulwich Borders'. Creating your own glory rather than basking in someone elses' is always welcome.

You will never please everyone (don't I know!) but just getting some help create and enjoy a better environment is most welcome. And unjust criticism usually provokes even greater support. Never get dispirited!

And look - the sun is shining on you already ...

Stuart
shopgirl

Post by shopgirl »

rshdunlop wrote:Are Alhambra's tea rooms always open and is that the sort of place I could pop in (for those of you who don't know, Alhambra has a lovely outdoor space, perfect for this time of year.
Hi rshdunlop and all
Yes, our Secret Garden tearoom is open whenever we are, which is 10am-6pm Tues to Sat and 11am-3pm (and often later) on Sunday. We would love it if you could pop in! We serve homemade cake and brownies, plus tapas for lunch, and we even do evening meals for private parties on Friday and Saturday nights. You can find our menu and a full list of events and activities at http://www.alhambrahome.co.uk
Keef

Post by Keef »

I heard about this the other day. Absolutely stupid, and pretentious.
regoneil

Post by regoneil »

Question .
Where will we find the village green?
What rubbish, Kirkdale village!
Seems there are a large number of idiots ready to reside there!
For your information, the Road between Bell Green and Cobbs corner was known as Sydenham Road ,From Cobbs Corner to the Woodman was Kirkdale and from the Woodman (towards) Forest Hill was the High Street. Westwood Hill was WEST HIll and from the Woodman towards Hornimans Museum, Sydenham Hill.
We had to draw maps of Sydenham at achool showing all the roads with name AND most of us could draw maps showing every bus route throughout Londons (Bus maps were given free on all buses) and most pencil boxes were accompanied with these maps in our satchels
Sydenham was once a very pleasanr area in which to reside, Why let idiots change it?
Oh yes, I lived there from 1920 until 1961, happy days/
richpickings

Post by richpickings »

regoneil wrote:Question .
Where will we find the village green?
What rubbish, Kirkdale village!
Seems there are a large number of idiots ready to reside there!
For your information, the Road between Bell Green and Cobbs corner was known as Sydenham Road ,From Cobbs Corner to the Woodman was Kirkdale and from the Woodman (towards) Forest Hill was the High Street. Westwood Hill was WEST HIll and from the Woodman towards Hornimans Museum, Sydenham Hill.
We had to draw maps of Sydenham at achool showing all the roads with name AND most of us could draw maps showing every bus route throughout Londons (Bus maps were given free on all buses) and most pencil boxes were accompanied with these maps in our satchels
Sydenham was once a very pleasanr area in which to reside, Why let idiots change it?
Oh yes, I lived there from 1920 until 1961, happy days/
What a load of tosh! Who said villages have to have village greens? You name me one that does and I'll name you ten that don't.
And besides, what's it to you - you haven't lived here for 50 years? What do you care whether we call ourselves Kirkdale Village, Kirkdale Town. Kirkdale City or Kirkdale Campsite?

Surely it is up to the people living and working in this area to decide what they call themselves. As I said in a previous post, this isn't a new thing we have been using the term "Kirkdale Village" for years now and I am astonished that people feel that they have the right to be so vitriolic and judgemental about a community trying to establish an identity.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Billie

Post by Billie »

I think it's great to see that a group of people are passionate about improving Kirkdale and making it a thriving and busy community hub. It's really important that we encourage people who have the energy and commitment to make change happen. Ok, some people make not like the name, but why cannot we look beyond that? I personally can only see the positives... if more people shop in Kirkdale then there will be more local jobs and more investment from other businesses looking for a good place to start trading. If the area looks nicer then perhaps people will not litter/be destructive and will treat the community facilities with respect. Lighten up people - is it really that bad to name an area to give it a greater sense of identity and a brand to help promote it? I think people are being really miserable. I have a challenge for those who are moaning. If the objective is to promote Kirkdale and make a triving and successful community hub, what strategy would you put in place? We'd love to hear your ideas and how you think you could make them happen.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Blimey! This is a passionate debate!

I fully support the traders in Kirkdale who are trying to promote and improve the area. I haven't seen the logo's and I admit I had reservations on the name when I heard about the scheme a few months ago. People will call it what they call it, which will probably be Kirkdale minus the village bit. I don't have a huge problem with them tagging village onto then name, I just think it's unnecessary. It's very hard to change a name to something that is longer than the one wildly used, generally names are shortened over time, a bit like how a pebble loses it's edges on a beach over time. Branding and names follow a similar path. But whatever they call it, I certainly don't think it's worth all the fuss that's it seems to have aroused.

But it's got people talking about it which is a good thing. The Transmitter article has been great for the area. I wish them luck.

To Shopgirl, Jotbot etc, the forum can be a scary place at times, but it's a valuable place to get feedback and promote local issues. Far more people read this than post as I've found out over the last 3 years we have lived here. While you will find many posts have been 'passionate' about the Kirkdale name, I'm sure they aren't written with malice, it's just people who care about the area. Good luck with everything.