Vote For Kirkdale Village Logo

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Re: Vote For Kirkdale Village Logo

Post by Tim Lund »

I agree 100% with Lee about not getting annoyed about this, and wanting to support the local traders. The problem the "Kirkdale Village" traders have is that their area is reasonably well defined, but that it doesn't actually have a widely used name.

We're talking just about the small area around the corner of Kirkdale and Dartmouth Road, so going from The Foxes up the hill and round to The Bricklayer's Arms, with a bit up the hill toward the Kirkdale Institute - i.e. this http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 3&t=h&z=18

So it's not 'Kirkdale' in either the sense of the bit by the station where the Kirkdale Bookshop is, since these are separated by some residential in-fill, or in the sense of the part at the top of the hill. This small area does feel like its own small centre, and of course was, historically the old Sydenham High Street - hence its Grade II listed 'High Street Buildings'.

We could debate what might be a suitable name for the area till the cows come home - hope that turn of phrase is not too rural and villagey here - but it's perfectly possible for an area in a big city to be called something Village - it may now be fairly chi-chi, but Greenwich Village seemed to get by without a quaint old village green

And if the traders up there can get on and work together to promote their little bit of Sydenham, maybe by this very fact they've found a little bit of village spirit, and can call themselves 'Kirkdale Village' if they want to, and if they stick at it, the name might stick.
poppy

Post by poppy »

What ever happened Lee to the logo for Sydenham idea? I noticed recently that Honor Oak had a nice sign (which looks very non-council) with a tree saying 'Welcome to Honor Oak Park'.

We really could do with these at various places like at Westwood hill near the traffic lights, top of Kirkdale, near Mayow Park, halfway down Newlands Park, Kent House/Woodbastick Road junction,Trewsbury Road/Cator Road junction, and near the Library (the main routes into the area) to make it feel more like a destination too. It was debated a lot ages ago when first suggested....

P
Austin

Post by Austin »

Just moved into the area from a very rural Devon village (one without a "green" I might add!). I find it very impressive to see all the hard work from local traders trying to market and enhance the town/village/area.....whatever you might call it! My take on it is that the name isn't the most important factor here and can't help but think there are alot of people missing the point here?! Perhaps go for hamlet and really stir up some over-blown outcrys! Once again bravo to all those doing the hard work!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hi Poppy,

in answer to your question, It's not worth rebranding and putting up signs in Sydenham with the logo until the high street is done and Sydenham improves otherwise the symbol will become associated with the current state of Sydenham which at present is rather tatty. But it's still on the cards and hopefully we can get it through when the improvements come online for the high street and it can be a tool for local businesses to use to help promote local trade.

But it has to be implemented at the right time, in the right way.

Regards

Lee
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Just want to say best of luck with all the hard work that's going on to get Kirkdale Village on the map.

Sure we can debate whether the name is a bit twee and whether it will stick, but the important thing is that people are making an effort. There's some great local businesses in the area and we should all do what we can to support them.

Viva Kirkdale :)
leaf

Post by leaf »

Yes it is a bit twee and estate agenty speak, but i think its in the right spirit and good to see people trying to make things nice whether they live there or just work there, the common interest is in improving the image of the place.

Good luck to all those involved.
jotbot

Post by jotbot »

ballott are still being collected from all the voting stations and counting will begin soon....
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

I really don't see a problem with a bunch of traders banding together to drum up some enthusiasm about a section of the high street, even if they've labelled it a "village."

FWIW, I actually think that some of what's happened in Sydenham over the past few years (the Arts Festival, the gingerbread Sydenham that someone made for the Dolphin, the ever-growing Pilates and 5-a-side football groups, Girton Road's Royal Wedding Street Party) is more village-y than what happens in many actual villages.