Phone stolen in the Dolphin

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
katiefoodie

Phone stolen in the Dolphin

Post by katiefoodie »

I was in the Dolphin on bank holiday Monday and my phone was stolen by three gypsys, pretending to sell cookery books. I was extremely disappointed by the reaction from the staff in the Dolphin and will not be returning. We are supposed to be living in a community, but was told bluntly that it was my fault for having my phone on the table and it had nothing to do with them.

Such a lack of community spirit. Rude, thoughtless and unhelpful. They didn't even offer me the phone to call the police.
Voyageur

Re: Phone stolen in the Dolphin

Post by Voyageur »

Oh dear - bad luck Katie :( Poor support from pub staff too to make matters worse.

A favourite trick in tourist hot spots is for people (often children/women) to approach your table with a large map, asking for directions. They spread the map in front of you and then help themselves to your belongings beneath it. Have seen it happen a couple of times and have intervened to warn people.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Although I feel for you, having something stolen is rubbish, having lived in Barcelona for a year I never put my phone on a table and always secure my belongings, people see anything as an opportunity, sad though it is.

Shame about the way they treated you in the pub, perhaps they could have been more helpful but I believe any bar person would probably have reacted in the same way, they have no liability, I've had similar happen.

It is a shame that that is happenign in my locakl, but one thing, I think to say they were gypseys could be construed as racial stereotyping, they may not have been travellers of Romany descent.

Cheers

G-Man
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

G-Man wrote:. . .Shame about the way they treated you in the pub, perhaps they could have been more helpful but I believe any bar person would probably have reacted in the same way, they have no liability, I've had similar happen.
No liability no, but I would expect the bar staff to show a modicum of interest/concern. If I were them I would be asking for a description of the individuals concerned so that staff could be advised to be on the look out.

Anyway, this is the type of customer service I would anticipate in my local pubs (up the hill in Crystal Palace) having had experience of similar incidents on occasion.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

No liability no, but I would expect the bar staff to show a modicum of interest/concern. If I were them I would be asking for a description of the individuals concerned so that staff could be advised to be on the look out.

Anyway, this is the type of customer service I would anticipate in my local pubs (up the hill in Crystal Palace) having had experience of similar incidents on occasion.
True, be interesting to know why they appeared so rude, as I seem to be one of the few that likes it in there.

As for the pubs up the hill, I wouldn't know I'm afraid. Been meaning to go to the Alma for ages but haven't quite made it.

G-Man
marymck

Post by marymck »

Oh Katie - that's really rough. I'm sorry your phone was taken and even more sorry you were treated so badly. Bad show, Dolphin. Particularly so as you appear to have allowed the perps to sell books in the pub.
biscuit

Post by biscuit »

Ah Katie - I too am really very sorry to hear about this incident but I must say I am not surprised by the poor, indifferent treatment you received from Dolphin staff. I agree with the posts which suggest that if the staff tried to help with getting a description of the scoundrels may have been helpful or at least reassuring. I like many other local residents stopped drinking at the dolphin due to poor customer care/service. There have been many posts on this site about the poor service at the dolphin so I'm afraid it's a bit of a theme and will never change. So I'm sorry to hear you were left on your own with this unpleasant incident.
I do hope that the scoundrels who took your phone are caught in the act somewhere else. Good luck.
Columbus

Post by Columbus »

And there are also plenty of people who like the Dolphin and have had good service, me included.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I think the only time I had poor service was at a performance of Midsummer Night's Dream, when they were overwhelmed. Otherwise excellent.