Thinking of moving to Halifax Street but worried about crime

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
willxtwo1973

Thinking of moving to Halifax Street but worried about crime

Post by willxtwo1973 »

Hi there, my girlfriend and I are thinking of moving to Halifax Street which we absolutely love but are a little worried about crime on the Wells Park Road area estates and also on Kirkdale. The crime maps seem to show a fair amount of violent crime and antisocial behaviour but wanted to see if anyone who lives in the area could give a real impression of what it's like to live in that part of Sydenham.

Would be really grateful if anyone has any thoughts. Thanks, Will
parker

Re: Thinking of moving to Halifax Street but worried about c

Post by parker »

Halifax Street is possibly one of the most beautiful roads in Sydenham, Kirkdale is an up and coming area of Sydenham and is possibly the area which is going to improve the fastest within the whole of Sydenham.

On the end of your road a new Estate Agent is opening 'Wooster and Stock' (where the Woodman currently stands) so you wouldn't have to worry about noise from its previous usage as a pub. The Wells Park Road area can a problem but not if you would live in Halifax Street, I don't think Halifax Street generates much crime as a result of Wells Park Road.

In Kirkdale, I don't think crime is much of a problem, the general look of some of the shops strikes the perception that the area is unkept and dodgy when really it is ok.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

We have lived in Halifax Street for the past seven years, and love it. In that time I've been aware of a couple of opportunist burglaries in the street, and the odd key down a car, but that could happen anywhere. I certainly don't think crime is any worse there than in London as a whole and it always feels very safe. Also, because there's such a nice community feeling, residents are aware of their neighbours and are much more likely to keep an eye or an ear open for anything unusual.
willxtwo1973

Post by willxtwo1973 »

Thanks very much for the quick responses! We really love the street and maybe its strangely because it is so pretty and village like that makes the contrast between the surrounding streets so marked. We have lived in Peckham, East London and other edgy areas before so we're not totally green but nice to here from people that actually live in the area what it's really like. Maybe See you down in Sydenham soon... Thanks, Will
sophie

Post by sophie »

You will be close to the new French bakery which is fab
pinkfizz

Post by pinkfizz »

halifax street is absolutely lovely. just avoid wells park road!!! especially when the youth facility opens, which will make anti-social behaviour even worse (is that possible) in the wells park area. you are tucked out of the way in halifax street, so will be fine.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

i would love to know on what basis you are making these claims about the detrimental impact of the new community centre on Wells Park Road and surrounding streets. Crime figures showed that there was an increase in trouble in the immediate periods after the old youth centre closed. Based on this I would expect the level of incidents to decrease once the new centre is operational.

I could be wrong - I hope not though - and if you have other information please share it.

James.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Wells Park Road is not the most freindly in Sydenham. Seems a glorified estate thanks to Herr Goering and the 60's planners.

Halifax Street is lovely. Suggest they block of the WPR end.
multisync

Post by multisync »

Why suggest block off w.pk.road area .Some of us live in that area and not in kirkdale village. It is very unfortunate that some of us live in the area where they are opening the new youth centre and have not had any say in the matter!!!!!! In the wells park area people seem in general to know each other{the older generation] but when this new youth centre opens people will tend to avoid the area
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

I live in Halifax Street and its a great little street, good community atmosphere and very quaint. I know Wells Park Rd well, i often have to park the car down it and generally, yes it has its problems but doesnt alot of areas (earlier posting about the drinkers down the High Street for one). I personally have never had problems, and often walk up to the great Wells Park there. I also think the new community centre will be a great boost to the area, not detrimental. Atleast it will give a focus to the youth of the area and give them a place to go.

I often wish that the stupid council hadnt knocked down all the roads in the 1950s, otherwise we would have alot more Halifax Streets.
jotbot

Post by jotbot »

Halifax is a fab road we had a awesome 'Big Lunch' on Sunday despite the rain! lovely neighbours and a great community spirit.