News of the World & Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Alastair Morgan

Re: News of the World & Sydenham

Post by Alastair Morgan »

I'm Alastair, Daniel Morgan's brother. I'm really pleased to see this discussion site. As you may know, my family's lobbying intensively for a judicial inquiry. We think Daniel's murder is by far the darkest corner of the hacking scandal. Unfortunately, many crime journalists are in the pockets of the police whose rule is "Don't write about our dirt, or you'll be last in the queue when we brief you about the next gruesome murder". This has always been the way. Also, I don't think our media is all its cracked up to be. It took me seven years before a national paper would write about the murder and 24 years before the BBC did any independent investigation of a case which John Yates described to Boris Johnson in my presence as "One of the most disgraceful episodes in the entire history of the Metropolitan Police Service". And there's stiff competition in that area!

One witness told police that Daniel took a story to Alex Marunchak of TNoW shortly before he was murdered. Marunchak denies this. But it has also emerged that Rees and Marunchak had a corrupt relationship which dates back to the murder.

We definitely need a judicial inquiry! Please tweet or e-mail or write to your MP in support of this.
simon

Post by simon »

At last the Met are looking into to the surveilance of Dave Cook by "investigators" hired by the NOTW http://www.channel4.com/news/notw-inves ... -detective.
I cant see how they cannot interview Brooks over this as she was at the meeting at Scotland Yard which discussed it, which she says she doesn't remember.
The Leveson inquiry has so far not bothered itself with this case, which is central to the hacking issues, having much wider terms of reference. Lets hope the Met's investigation at least prompts the government into ordering a full judicial inquiry into the repeated cover ups in the Daniel Morgan case, as demanded by Allastair above.
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

Dunno whether the timing is coincidence or no: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-15828438

I agree it is mighty sad most of the media are concentrating on celebrity woes when something a darn sight more serious is right in front of their noses. Kudos to the Guardian for persistently reminding people of the connection.

PP
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am totally bored with the hacking sorry. What a complete waste of time when The Euro is crumbling and other major economic stories.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Eagle wrote:I am totally bored with the hacking sorry. What a complete waste of time when The Euro is crumbling and other major economic stories.
I'm far from bored with the hacking story ... but I'd agree the Euro is more important :D
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

I'm emailing Jim Dowd MP in support of a Judicial Inquiry into the Daniel Morgan murder case.

E: dowdj@parliament.uk
stuart

Post by stuart »

Jim has been very supportive of the campaign. Its the one area I recall him going out on a limb from the party line. Len Duvall has been a hero too. Whereas all the Home Secretaries (and Met Commissioners) have a somewhat dismal record.

Let's hope Theresa does the right thing. Though it is difficult when one of the main culprits was so close to her boss.

Stuart
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Thanks fdr the clarrification Stuart. But also constituents writing to your MP gives the MP more ammunition to pursue the cause.
simon

Post by simon »

Eagle wrote:I am totally bored with the hacking sorry. What a complete waste of time when The Euro is crumbling and other major economic stories.
I know Eagle, why discuss a local unsolved murder, police corruption, cover ups and political connections that reach to heart of government when we could be dicsussing such interesting matters as lessons to be learned from Belgian rail safety?
A cynic might think that the reason you are sooo bored with the hacking story is that even you find it hard to blame it on an excess of immigrants, the European Union or the "national obsession with health and safety."
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Hi Simon
I recall the event well and thought it was done and dusted so as to speak.

I personally find the whole hacking saga very boring, as I do the cult of celebrity , but appreciate many people need to know all the details.

Have not drunk in the Pub for about 2 years. Before the smoking ban was to be avoided as bad ventilation , but since then good old fashioned local.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Hi Eagle:

Did you know that Lewisham is one of the two London Boroughs where fewest people think the police are doing a good job? Do you think this matters? Do you think this case could contribute to this sad state of affairs?
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Daniel Morgan's family to meet Home Secretary

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-16037997
simon

Post by simon »

No joy with Mrs May for the family. She was offered yet another police investigation and who can blame them for their scepticism?
Of course, Mrs May's intransigence is no way connected to her to loyalty to her boss who employed Coulson, who in turn employed Rees, after he was convicted and did a stretch.
It appears as if we can have an inquiry into press methods and another into police corruption but not one about the relationship between Maruncheck, Rees, Coulson and the NOTW and various police officers. Which all seems more than a bit central to both of the above.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpres ... 3196324A00
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

A very good summary Simon. Initially what appeared to be a localised incident of police corruption and murder has exposed evidence which has (potentially) massive political implications on a national scale.
All concerned parties are aware of this and so (it would appear) have embarked on a campaign of fudging, obstruction and ignorance which has so far lasted 25 years.

You have to admire the family's steadfast and unwavering resolve to get justice for Daniel. It's a pity that those in power appear to lack such moral fortitude
simon

Post by simon »

So now ex-detective chief superintendent Dave Cook has been nicked by Operation Elveden:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpres ... 33429A0000

You really have to wonder if Operation Elveden is actually committed to fulfilling its brief or more concerned with continuing the cover up of the cover up. I think the comment from the “friend” at the end of this story says it all:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... rnalist.do

“I believe this arrest is a measure to quieten him down ahead of his involvement in the Leveson inquiry. He knows where all the bodies are buried. This is an attempt to blacken his name.”

Hopefully ex DCS Cook will be at liberty and alive to give his evidence to Leveson.

Is anyone surprised that Daniel’s family were so dismissive of May’s offer yet another “police investigation”? Hand it over to SOCA now surely? Its serious, its organised and it sure as hell looks criminal.
stuart

Post by stuart »

If you didn't see tonight's Channel 4 News - do catch up with it on 4oD. About 33 mins in there is a long report on the revelations today by Tom Watson under parliamentary priveledge plus an interview with Daniel Morgan's brother Alistair.

It names the names of the suspect and the News of the World reporter who allegedly subverted the investigation by Dave Cook. There is plenty more but strangely omits to mention the direct connection of this suspect with the NoW.

But it rightly says that if true this is more devastating than the celeb phone tabs. Is it a coincidence that James Murdoch distanced himself from this mess today?

Stuart

PS Some extra footage of the Golden Lion & car park presumably also taken today.
simon

Post by simon »

A further development today.
Tom Watson has used a private members debate to raise the issue of NoW's links with the attempts to disrupt the investiagtion into Daniel's murder that was referenced in Jaqui Hames' evidence at Leveson yesterday. He called for a judicial inquiry while policing Minister Nick Herbert replied that there may be another inquiry by the police.
Either way; there is increasing heat on Marunchak, who must now surely be called to Levison at least. The fact that Watson cited a 2002 report that said Marunchak paid officers for information into the Soham killings means that the issue has further traction and will not go away. Hames' evidence also surely demands that Rebekah Brooks needs to be called as well.
I believe that these developments may have played a part in James Murdoch's decision to step down as chair of NI.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17207835

http://www.journalism.co.uk/news/tom-wa ... 2/a548117/

I can't help thinking that had the murderers been caught and convicted in the late 1980's, then the current shitstorm would never have broken.

I wonder if Rees will be called to Leveson?
simon

Post by simon »

Thanks for the heads up on that Stuart; will watch now.
simon

Post by simon »

You can access the C4 report here http://www.channel4.com/news/pi-murdere ... corruption

Good piece.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Shameful and disgusting.
A number of parties have colluded in reaching this verdict
Members of the Police, Members of the Government, members of the press and members of the criminal fraternity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18154695

21 May 2012 Last updated at 21:54

Daniel Morgan: Brother's 'zero hope' of murder conviction
Daniel Morgan Daniel Morgan was found with an axe in his head in a south London car park in 1987

The brother of the murdered private investigator Daniel Morgan says he has "zero hope" of anyone ever standing trial for the killing.

His comments follow a new report which blamed the collapse of a trial of three men charged with the murder on failures by police and prosecution.

Mr Morgan's brother, Alistair, is calling for a public inquiry.

Daniel Morgan, originally from Llanfrechfa, near Cwmbran, was found dead in Sydenham, London, in 1987.

He had been attacked in a pub car park with an axe, which was found in his head.

The new report was conducted jointly by the Crown Prosecution Service and Metropolitan Police and said four boxes were left in storage, instead of being disclosed to the defence, three of which were relevant to the trial proceedings.

This resulted in the collapse of a trial at the old Bailey last year.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

I have very little hope of anyone ever standing trial for my brother's murder, zero in fact”

Alistair Morgan

The report also said several "supergrass" witnesses were not properly handled.

Five investigations have failed to find Mr Morgan's killer. There has also been an inquest into his death.

"Our objective really is to get this report out of the way," said Alistair Morgan.

"We know why the trial collapsed and the only surprise for us was how little there was in a report that had taken 15 months to compile."

Daniel Morgan ran a small private investigation company.

Until his death Mr Morgan was in partnership with Jonathan Rees, whose company Southern Investigations has been linked to alleged email hacking.

Alistair Morgan said he was convinced Daniel was killed because he was about to expose police corruption.

"Daniel was a whistle blower. There's no doubt about that," Alistair Morgan said.

"He was going to blow the whistle on police corruption."

Referring to the earlier police investigations into his brother's murder, he added: "The way it was handled in the earlier investigations, I think, is an absolute public disgrace.

"If there's one thing I want from an judicial inquiry is that I want to show the public how police handled that kind of investigation."

However, he added: "I have very little hope of anyone ever standing trial for my brother's murder, zero in fact."

Initial investigations into the murder failed to get to the bottom of the case, because, it was alleged, of police corruption.
Thrown out

But in 2006 a new inquiry, codenamed Operation Abelade 2, began and Mr Rees and two other men, Garry and Glenn Vian, were charged with Mr Morgan's murder.

Then in March 2011 the case against them was thrown out because of the prosecution's failure to disclose evidence.

Cressida Dick, the assistant commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, and Alison Saunders, chief crown prosecutor for CPS London, issued a joint statement following the report's publication.

It said: "This case, as the trial judge said, was of an exceptional scale and complexity, with over three quarters of a million documents gathered over 20 years being examined.

"The issues around the disclosure exercise were such that we could not guarantee that all relevant material had been identified, considered and disclosed so as to ensure a fair trial. A further factor related to the unreliability of critical witnesses."

Source: BBC website. (The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites