Re Masaniello Italian Restaurant

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
tizzyness

Re: Re Masaniello Italian Restaurant

Post by tizzyness »

Hello, it's my first time on here *waves*.

I just had to add my twopennies worth about Re Masaniello (and no, I'm not doing some free marketing for them!). We went there for the first time last night (we used to be big fans of the Mexico beforehand). Can honestly say me and my other half both thought it was the best pizza we have had outside of Italy. Fantastic bases, great, fresh toppings, great value, extremely efficient and friendly (but not over the top) service.
The decor is ok, it's fairly simple, but I quite like that. Being able to see the chef at work with his pizza oven is great. It was a really lovely evening last night, so the front glass doors were opened up - surprisingly didn't really even notice the road outside.

I really hope this place does well. We love Rafaelle's, but it's so great to have the option. I would highly recommend you give it a go.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

And a wave back to welcome a new contributor!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
girl_canuck

Post by girl_canuck »

Hmm, have to disagree. We went there on a Sunday night when we had gone to Tratt Raff, forgetting he is closed on Sundays. Nice atmosphere, better than the old Mexican, but awful food. The ingredients were poor quality, although the crust was okay. The sausage was cheap and greasy and made me feel a bit queasy. Give me Tratt Raff any day.

sempronius

Post by sempronius »

We went to have a pizza on Friday evening and the place was full of people with their children. We thought we could hardly get a seat, but the owner of the restaurant accommodated us without any problem.
It was a lovely athmosphere, the classical neapolitan trattoria in Italy without fuss and frillies, some neapolitan music in the background and candles on the tables.
The pizza base was nicely cooked underneath and the ingredients very tasty. The portions were large, compared to other restaurants and the prices reasonable. Everybody around us was enjoying foods and I did not see any leaving food at the table.
The owners were very friendly, kind and attentive and we were served straight away. We found the occasion very enjoyable.
I have been eating in many other restaurants in London, including Pizza Al Metro in Battersea and Pizza Italia in Chelsea. I must say that the pizza at Re Masaniello can stand up to the challenge. I have been more than disappointed at Pizza Al metro on various occasions.
Apart from this, we should welcome new enterprises in the area. You have to be very brave to invest monies in a business like that during this economical crisis we are having. Also new enterprises in the area can raise the tone of the high street, which has not got many eateries and wonderful shops to look at. Whether it is Trattoria Raffaele's or Re Masaniello's pizzas, these people are doing their best to make Sydenham high street to be as attractive as the Crystal palace area is, with its variety of restaurants and pubs and interesting shops.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Oh I see, the restaurant really is called 'Re [King] Masaniello'. I wondered whether 'Re [in re] Masaniello' was the title of the thread!
CATLADY

Post by CATLADY »

We went to Re Masaniello's last night and fully endorse all the positive comments made. As seasoned travellers in Italy and enjoyers of good food and wine ,we were delighted by this restaurant's proximity to our home! Fabio knew his stuff and had some great wines we rarely find in other restaurants in the UK and at reasonable prices-Dolphin take note! I had deep fried aubergines and courgette antipasti,a crispy,generous portion for a mere £2-delicious! We also tried pizza,risotto king prawns and squeezed in home-made dessert. The atmosphere was great and regarding the decor , the tiled pizza oven was a nice feature ! It is typically Italian and quite frankly , we left feeling more upbeat about the highstreet as well as having found a new local eatery!Do please give it a go.

nubiwoman

Post by nubiwoman »

On the recommendation of a work colleague, I visited Re Masaniello yesterday afternoon with my Sister....We both thought that the food was absolutely amazing. I was fascinated by the pizza oven and how quickly it cooked the pizzas. Fabio ( I think he was the owner) was extremely attentive, a bit of a flirt, but very nice with it!!

The pizza garlic bread WAS -TO -DIE -FOR !!!!!

It's nice to have a decent local restaurant.......I'll definitely be going back
JJDav

Post by JJDav »

Hello. I have just returned from our first trip to Re Masaniello, and sadly it will be our last. I decided to try it for myself after reading these posts. The good things were the bunny shaped pizza's for kids, the reasonable prices and the beautiful pizza oven. The major problems were the incredibly loud music that we had to ask four times to have turned down, the over salted food - mine would of been delicious but it was so salty, the obviously annoyed waitresses when we did not leave a cash tip because as party of 6 they added 12% service to the bill already and for us with kids, the incredibly long time it took for food to come - we had three children with us so on purpose went at 6pm (to avoid disturbing the adult diners later in the evening) and ordered quickly but we still didn't get our bill until gone 8. I am very disapointed as would love to support a local restaurant - will try Trattoria but we went last year and had a rather grumpy waiter not sure who it was! I do hope they read this post as I felt and still do that with a few tweaks it could be great.
toothfairy

Post by toothfairy »

My friends and I visited this restaurant for the first time on Saturday 20th August at 8.30pm. We were celebrating a birthday. We all found the food to be absolutely delicious. Two friends had the mussels for starters, one had the deep fried courgette and aubergine and I had the street snacks. Main courses were two chicken with mozzarella and aubergine, one gnocci with prawns and one mushroom risotto and two sides of salad. The service was excellent and friendly and we were very pleasantly surprised that the bill for the food and several drinks (including wine) was only £107. There was background music playing but at an acceptable volume. There was a very pleasant atmosphere about the place. It is well worth trying and an asset to the High Street I think.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I haven't tried it yet but have heard nice reviews from a local friend. She said the staff are very friendly and it is very welcoming to children and babies.

I but cannot wait to support a local business - will post a review once I have been.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Hannah wrote:I but cannot wait to support a local business - will post a review once I have been.
Does that mean you don't support any other local businesses? :wink: We have loads of choice on the high street, so I hope not.

G-Man
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

So, just tried Re Masaniello for the first time. It was okay, but I don't know if I would rush back. The service was fine, if a little odd (can't quite put my finger on it, just odd). We had the garlic pizza bread and calamari to start. Pizza bread was okay - nice pizza base, not much garlic. The calamari were very good. Main courses were nicely presented, lots of fresh ingredients, but overall somewhat bland. I had a risotto that was... not good. But my son's margarita pizza was nicely done.

The decor is cold and uninviting and the music was too loud. It feels like the place just needs a bit of tweaking. I might come back with the kids again - it has a family feel about the place. But it will be back to Tratt Raff's for date nights. I do think Re Masaniello is reasonably priced - we had two starters, four mains, three beers and three soft drinks for £60.
Last edited by Rachael on 29 Aug 2011 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
Dodgybird

Post by Dodgybird »

Right, that's it!!!! Dodgybloke will have to take me there this week so I can judge for myself....!

Hannah

Post by Hannah »

G-Man wrote: Does that mean you don't support any other local businesses? :wink: We have loads of choice on the high street, so I hope not.

G-Man
thanks for pulling me up on my sloppy grammar :wink:

FYI I am an avid supporter of local businesses, Barakah, House of linens, Whites Pets, Blue Mountain, Kirkdale books........and now Re Masaniello.

Went last Friday for a lovely meal. Very friendly staff and they made a real fuss of our 17 month son. Had special starter (buffalo mozzarella on veg) and the most enormous garlic bread pizza. Then I had a pizza and husband had a a main course from the specials board, oven cooked chicken taken off bone (very tender) stuffed with veg and pulses served with cassava chips. No room for dessert...although I was very tempted by another pizza covered in Nutella (carbtastic). Had house red wine and peroni to wash it all down. Price seemed reasonable for what we had (if you are used to using BOGOF coupons could seem expensive) - will definitely go again.

Music wasn't too loud and place seemed quite busy.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

My friend and I went in last Thursday to test the waters. Very courteous and helpful waitress. We enjoyed the food - couldn't fault it. However after our meal we fancied a coffee - 2 cappaccinos were ordered but alas our lovely lady came back to explain they had no milk and could only offer us a black coffee which we found disappointing. It was only 9.00pm and many convenience stores in Sydenham were still open where milk could have been purchased. It would have taken 2 minutes to go and buy some!

That said - we were treated to 2 limonccellos with the bill so all was not lost and a nice touch to end the evening and certainly made up for the lack of coffee!
MrPink

Post by MrPink »

I've been to this restaurant s few times now. The food is excellent. I'm from Naples, Italy and I can say with hand on heart it's the most genuine pizza I've had in London. More places like this in Sydenham please. Does anyone know when the pub on the kirkdale roundabout will re open?

biscuitman1978

Masaniello Italian Restaurant

Post by biscuitman1978 »

MrPink wrote:Does anyone know when the pub on the kirkdale roundabout will re open?
See separate thread on this at http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6753
stellaashtray

Post by stellaashtray »

Went to Re Masaniello last night for a birthday celebration really great food and lovely service :D
bag lady

Post by bag lady »

Agreed , I went on saturday and the food was top notch, staff really hospitable, one of the nicest spaghetti vongole's i've had for a long time we had a fun night.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I just wish someone would tell them to get rid of those ugly green canopies outside, they make the place look rubbish, and until they do that I won't go in. I'm sure it probably puts other people off too.

G-Man