Hand bag snatch @ Newlands Park

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
stone-penge

Hand bag snatch @ Newlands Park

Post by stone-penge »

My wife had her handbag snatched tonight as she walked home from Sydenham staion on Newlands Park.
She's ok , just a little upset.
The robber was a youngish white boy with a skinhead haircut on a mountain bike.

The police said they've had reports of a number of these events recently.

The robber came up behind her and ripped the bag from her shoulder as he went past on the bicycle.

Just posting this here to warn others to be careful out there!
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

I’m very sorry to hear about this incident.

Any discussion about crime – particularly robberies and muggings – in a local area is bound to be emotive. If you draw attention to it you are inevitably accused of exaggeration and worsening the fear of crime when the incidence of street robberies may be low compared with other parts of London.

In recent weeks we have had two armed robberies in Sydenham – one on the Greyhound pub and one at the railway station. I can name around ten of my close friends who have been violently robbed walking the streets of central Sydenham in the last 18 months. These range from single women in their eighties to guys I play squash with. Perhaps I’m just a statistical fluke but it is worrying. Please look at my other postings on this site – I’m a strong defender of Sydenham and have even been accused of being a PR agent for local politicians. I’m not a natural rabble-rouser about crime and up to a few months ago I would have dismissed anyone talking about rising street crime in this area as being either misguided or exaggerating. Now, I’m not so sure.

I simply don’t believe official statistics. About two months ago I attended a local neighbourhood meeting addressed by the officer in charge of community policing. The meeting was called to deal with the huge amount of severe damage by vandals to cars in a small stretch of one road in Sydenham. It was pointed out to the officer that 23 cases of car damage (including the scrawling of a large racist slogan on a car bonnet) had been officially reported to the police in a three week period. The officer (and remember this is the guy in charge of community policing in Sydenham) knew nothing of the incidents, hadn’t picked up them up from the report sheets and blamed his computer system. This sort of thing doesn’t half damage your belief in accurate crime statistics and how they are gathered and assessed.

But surely, I hear you say, the local police are doing something about deterring crime in this area? Unfortunately not! For the past few months every available community police officer in Sydenham has been redeployed on crime duty elsewhere in the borough. It doesn’t take long for even the dimmest mugger to figure out that the police simply aren’t around!
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Today's South London Press reports that two men have appeared in court accused of the August 3 robbery at Sydenham Station. They face a string of charges including robbery, committing an offence with a firearm and taking and driving a motor vehicle without consent.

One man comes from Rotherhithe, the other of no fixed address is also accused of escaping prison. Remanded in custody they will appear at Middlesex Guildhall Crown Court on November 9.

At least this looks like one nasty recent incident resolved.
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

I hope things are not starting to go downhill in Sydenham. About an hour ago, my road (which I like to think is a very nice, quiet, respectable road), was swamped with about 20 - 25 youths. They were 'tormenting' someone on the other side of the road. As she tried to get into her house, they started pelting her windows with stones. It was a mixture of boys and girls, ranging from 14 - 17. I was appalled and frightened. A few neighbours came out on their mobiles, presumably calling the police. I don't know this particular lady who was 'attacked', so not sure if I will ever find out what it was all about. This incident has left me very concerned. I read and hear about these 'mobs' going about - but to have it on my doorstep is extremely frightening.

What is the world coming to? Are these kids dragged up? When I was that age (which isn't all that long ago!!) I would have never, ever dreamed of behaving like that. :cry:
DaveT

how to choose where to police...

Post by DaveT »

nasaroc - your last point -
For the past few months every available community police officer in Sydenham has been redeployed on crime duty elsewhere in the borough.
Scary, but apparently true, I have seen none of the community officers or real officers in quite a while now - even after the armed robbery. (good news that they were apprehended though.)

Been scratching my head wondering how to deal with the issue of "where to put the police presence" - and I can't think of a reasonable answer (yet, and don't know if I will)

1. put them where the current "crime waves" are - resulting in a police/crime game of "follow the leader" - if I was a criminal I'd work a patch for a month or so, then move on to another one that the police have just left....

2. police based on council tax - we all (!) pay council tax - which has an element to cover policing. So, should each electoral area get a percentage of police based on the borough total, a fraction based on the tax contributions of the electoral area vs. the entire borough?

3. police based on population density?

4. police based on demographics of populace? [ dangerous ground, and quite likely wrong anyway ]

IMO - the only one of these that seems reasonable is #2, but the councils appear to be advocating approach #1 - takes me back to the keystone cops. Doesn't deal with the issue, just chases it around!
Footloose

Post by Footloose »

I see loads of police.... speeding up and down Sydenham Road!

On the night of the Station robbery the place was crawling with them.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Not sure what to make of contributions on this site like the last one by footloose. What they seem to be saying is "Hey, look at me I'm here too!" Or am I missing something?

I think it's essential that we get our community police back on the beat and I understand that they have begun patrolling again this week. A number of us have written to the Lewisham Mayor protesting at their absence and it's vital that we maintain their presence full-time in Sydenham as we were promised when the community policing scheme came into force. Can I urge you to do the same.

Our local community beat officer, Henry, is an effective no-nonsense guy and we need him and his colleagues to be doing their jobs here in Sydenham and nowhere else.
aidy_b

Post by aidy_b »

stone-penge,
I'm sorry to hear about your wife, and hope she is okay. I think the community police officers and PCSOs will help to improve things - if they are given a chance. If they are taken off their beat then I am glad people like nasaroc are writing to complain, instead of just moaning. Maybe someone will listen and they will be put back where they are meant to be.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Well I don't know if the police are back on the beat or not , but it took them 15 minutes to attend after three armed robbers did over the newsagents thats halfway along Newlands Park this morning.
Great response to a 999 call ,that's next door to police premises-no!
Footloose

Post by Footloose »

Well I saw one four foot tall community whatsernames wandering up and down Sydenham Road today.

Later an "unmarked" but oh so obvious car with three untidy looking individuals passed me going towards Cobbs Corner. It seems they were probably lost. They reappeared shortly afterwards going in the opposite direction along Southend Lane.

Meanwhile the sound of sirens has prevailed for most of the day....
leaf

Post by leaf »

knighton?
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

not sure what you're trying to convey leaf, that Knighton;

a) is a four foot tall community whatsername?
b) was one of the untidy individuals in the unmarked police car?
or
c) is patrolling Sydenham streets with a siren?
leaf

Post by leaf »

who IS footloose?
raymondus

Post by raymondus »

Sounds a bit like the Annie/leaf conundrum and dog poo thread!

As to crime, on Thursday night, as I left the station via Peak Hill Gardens, there were about 15 youths being loud congregated in a corner sat on a wall with a car outside with a door open and loud music blaring out.

Whilst not illegal, it did make me feel rather uncomfortable, especially in light of the recent youth mob activity in Canning Town leading to the stabbing and then shooting of Peter Woodhams. I suppose this is quite common - big gangs of youths hanging around.

On the one hand, I felt a bit like those people on the plane who kicked off the two muslims for speaking Arabic. On the other hand though, I felt sorry for the poor people of Peak Hill Gardens. Is this a regular occurrence?
leaf

Post by leaf »

Sounds a bit like the Annie/leaf conundrum and dog poo thread!

*except that annie isnt my sockpuppet and im not hers!
that was just knightons response by accusation when someone agreed with my views about the dog pooh issue.

where IS knighton?
Annie

Post by Annie »

:(
Opp's......... what have i done, to deserve that comment?
is it because i don't like dogs pooh? :roll:
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Just to get back to the subject in question - crime in Sydenham!

I've been disturbed at the comments by Footloose ( a man who clearly lives up to his name judging by his ability to follow the movements of unmarked patrol cars through the strrets of Sydenham) Immediately crime is mentioned, he lays into the police. I think that it's perfectly OK to criticise police activity for good reason - are they patrolling the streets effectively, are they getting to crime incidents swiftly etc. But I simply cannot see what the point is in snide remarks about the height of police officers, whether they are tidy or not and so on. Footloose even seems to think that it's somehow reprehensible that the police patrol the streets in cars!?! Or that there were a lot of police present after the station was robbed at gunpoint. Of course we need foot patrols but surely we expect the police to get to violent crimes (often in large numbers) in as short a time as possible. Thank goodness we have the ability to get police to some crime scenes relatively quickly when necessary.

Snide remarks - especially those backed up by remarks that cannot be readily checked are easy. But it aint going to stop a single crime.
leaf

Post by leaf »

knighton doesnt like the police either.
Footloose

Post by Footloose »

Nasaroc

I have not laid into the police. I realise, now, you clearly are a Police Officer and seek to defend your beleaguered service on here. I simply stated some facts as I had witnessed them. I did so without comment.

Since you attacked me here goes then:

I was burgled. £28,000 worth of damage was carried out to my property. The police did little. I had to trace the culprits. Then the police mucked it up by pure incompetence. They did not even take care of their own staff. The forensic "person" arrived 19 months pregnant wearing open toe sandals to tramp around through the carpet of broken glass!

On another occasion I was attacked by thugs at my own front door. The police chose to ignore their crime and to pursue me for assault (I made not so much as a move in their direction). It took two years to establish my innocence. The yobs went free.

A number of my neighbours have been burgled. Not once has police work resulted in the apprehension of the criminals.

I have, on a number of occasions, come forward to assist the police in their lawful duty. On each and every occasion I have witnessed behaviour, of theirs, that should not have occurred (an understatement). Note I was giving evidence, on these occasions, for the prosecution... Despite clear evidence the police on each occasion chose to play fast and loose with the rules of evidence. Their attempts to corrupt the evidence had no effect on me but by rights I should have revealed what they did to the defence. Guilty people were convicted but the police conduct would, if exposed, have resulted in them going free.

I have witnessed the police lie in court on numerous occasions.

When they are wrong they are wrong. Say nothing and we are on a slippery slope. When they are right they are right and we should say so. However, as an example, being let off for dangerous driving (150 mph along the M54) is not right..... Bad police give the police a bad name. No-one else has to lift a finger. They do it to themselves.

The police are apointed to carry out a function, for society, within the law. As soon as they step outside the law they have devalued their function entirely. They do their job by consent. When they do it properly they have my consent and my wholehearted support.

Meanwhile the point I made about their representative who was seen wandering up and down Sydenham Road relates to the wasteful policy of appointing people who, clearly, are physically ill-equipped to deal with the criminal fraternity. I am very certain there are functions such people can usefully carry out but being on the front-line is not one of those. Political correctness and pound foolish politicians have conspired to put the public and its servants at risk. One is inclined also to suspect that there is an element, within the police force, who see patrolling the streets as "beneath them".

The enemies of good policing are: arrogance, indolence, corruption, deceit, poor supervision and buck passing politicians but mostly (in the words of a Victorian music hall master of ceremonies) theirselves! I am the (good) policeman's best friend. I am a law abiding conscientious citizen.

PS I have nothing to do with any other poster on here.
leaf

Post by leaf »

:roll: