alldays lower sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
syd

alldays lower sydenham

Post by syd »

hello everybody

Does any know what is happening to the alldays site at lower sydenham at the junction wit kent house road? It closed a last year and there is a leased sign but no indication of the new occupier.

Sorry about joining with a question

Thanks

syd
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

I don't know about that store but a lot of stores and sites like that have been brought by the large supermarket groups to either develop into latenight shops (which destroy local shops!) or are left owned but undeveloped by them to prevent their rivals doing the same(which leaves the high street with derilict sites!)

Aren't the large supermarkets great!
syd

Post by syd »

wish i never asked now!
Murfmullet

Post by Murfmullet »

I'd like to add the alarm still goes off a lot, although it is not very loud.

I heard it was closed due to the amount of robberies taking place there. Nice.
lbere

Alldays Lower Syd

Post by lbere »

Hi, this is now being turned into a car showroom, just what we need!!!!
syd

Re: Alldays Lower Syd

Post by syd »

lbere wrote:Hi, this is now being turned into a car showroom, just what we need!!!!
ok before I slit my wrists can anyone else confirm this?
leaf

Post by leaf »

i dont get this?

what is the problem its a car showroom not a knocking shop!

it seems like whichever new businesses open in sydenham there is always someone ready to knock them,people call for investment in sydenham but rubbish new busineses before they start.

:?:
syd

Post by syd »

leaf wrote:i dont get this?

what is the problem its a car showroom not a knocking shop!

it seems like whichever new businesses open in sydenham there is always someone ready to knock them,people call for investment in sydenham but rubbish new busineses before they start.

:?:
I was just a bit surprised from mini market to car showroom. I thought the council had rules about shop purposes and I naively hoped we might get a grocer or something similar.
leaf

Post by leaf »

but if alldays have failed to reach safe success there then its hardly a surprise its going to change use?

it was originally a petrol station,that was probably pushed out by sainsburys down the road,but thats another story!

i must say that i think there are enough grocers etc along that stretch of sydenham rd?

sydenham main parade of shops isnt far,across the road theres a little parade of shops not forgetting savacentre.
syd

Post by syd »

I was hoping for a tesco metro they could afford a short tems loss.

They're in Forest hill, Penge, and Anerly, weirdly Anerly seems safer and more friendly since that depressing europa closed down.
Last edited by syd on 9 Sep 2006 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
leaf

Post by leaf »

oh well maybe if the car place doesnt work out tescos might step up?
Last edited by leaf on 9 Sep 2006 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

There is a big banner up saying a Turkish grocers will be opening soon, presumably like the one further up the high street.
leaf

Post by leaf »

where did the car showroom story come from?

dont rush out for the razors yet syd,a grocers is coming your way.
syd

Post by syd »

I saw the sign I'm so pleased things are looking up :D
JAKES ANGEL

Post by JAKES ANGEL »

Well I suppose theres nothing wrong with a Turkish supermarket and they do have some nice and alternative foodstuffs etc but we've already got at least two in Sydenham high street already. Maybe Sydenhams Turkish contingent is increasing rapidly or maybe no-one else can be bothered to set up a new venture. Whatever the reason its got to be nicer that a car showroom or just being left derelict surely. It would be great for sydenham if something new and exciting appeared and even better if it was then supported by the local community, I've read on the forum previously that people have mentioned coffees shops etc, and if you look at Moonbow Jakes in Brockley that does a great little trade and I would consider Sydenham to be just as nice as that part of Brockley. Granted Brockley does now have some trendy bars etc but Sydenham got to start somewhere. It would be interesting to hear what other ideas people have to imporive the area
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

At last week's Sydenham Road Regeneration Meeting Julie Sutch, the town centre manager, asked people to email her with the top five new businesses they would like to see in Sydenham. Mine are:
a spacious coffee shop (Zuckers is great, but tiny!!); a restaurant with an emphasis on vegetarian food - Pizza Express would be good; an organic butcher; a fishmonger. You can email Julie with yours at: julie.sutch@lewisham.gov.uk
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

At least as nice as that part of Brockley? I beg to differ. Brockley is a God awful hell-hole. You couldn't pay me to live there (maybe in those two streets that are part of the conservation area but they are only 2 streets after all). The area in which I live in Sydenham is beautiful as is the surrounding area and I'm moving to an even more well-heeled area right at the top of the hill once my purchase is complete!

Brockley (and the same goes for Honor Oak Park) have trendy bars etc as the area is full of low earning receptionist and 'runners' who rent and simply cannot function without they're morning coffee (presumably to help with the hangover from the copious amounts of cheap wine the night before). I only ever catch the non-stoppers to and from work so I can mercifully not have to suffer the oiks who get on and of at New Cross (Brockley and Honor Oak Park are just New Cross overspill)
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Greg

I'd like to welcome you to the top of Sydenham Hill but we don't let in people who can't write properly. :lol:
Greg Whitehead wrote: and simply cannot function without they're morning coffee
I hope your parents got a discount on that expensive education! :wink:

Seriously though, did you have a bad experience in Brockley? Lower Sydenham round Bell Green looks just as rough to me, if not rougher. I know I should be sticking up for Sydenham, but its just my impression.
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

As Gregs postings are getting more and more bizarre, perhaps once he has moved to the
well-heeled area right at the top of the hill
the
low earning receptionist and 'runners'
can push him over the edge :shock:

Greg, your obsession with class and money is making you look very insecure and I must say you are coming across as quite unpleasant.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Apologies for the typo. THEIR

@ GLOBAL THINKER Shouldn't that be Greg's posting? In much the same vein, you are aware that WRITING IN CAPITALS is considered rude and as shouting? - 'think' on that one. Are you going to pull 'it' up about their grammar Juwlz, or is this some sort of C2DE camaraderie?

@ Julwz I wouldn't care for the welome Julwz. Yes, I am rude and a pretty unpleasant chap but with looks and success in spades I care not a jot. I doubt I'd associate with your type anyway. I get the impression you've got an issue with me. Was it the 'receptionist' comment a few posts back ? You felt that was a dig at you? You say you're in media...PA/receptionist in a small 'creative' agency, perhaps?

*sigh* what gives with you two anyway? You are just as bad (Julwz), if not more so, in the wrong with your comments on Lower Sydenham - I have never intentionally slagged of somewhere in the immediate locality as you have just done. So who's the snob? Doubtless you won't get flamed for that.

Is that a threat GLOBAL THINKER? - I'm sure you'd like to be at the head of the cue. If you ever muster the courage to back up your suggestions rather than cower at the back as always in your life - I'm on the 6.25 Mon-Fri. Look out for me and I can ridicule you in person.

Doubtless I'll get banned but it's such a shame that clowns such as yourselves ruin what could be a very good forum. Never mind, as more and more of my set move into Sydenham we'll probably buy you pair out so the area benefits and you can live out your rest in areas more...how can I put this?...becoming (much like HOP or Brockley, ironically).

One final favour. Before we buy you out (assuming, although doubtful, that you live in Victorian or Georgian stock) can you please take the anaglypta of the walls - it was a nightmare to remove in the last place I renovated.

When will your types realise that you may not neccesarily agree with the views of others but as long as it is not a personal slight it's bad form to flame others just because they hold different views - THIS IS AN OPEN FORUM. I suppose though, as Daily Mail readers, you both blame everything on single mothers and immigrants.

:roll:
Last edited by Greg Whitehead on 13 Sep 2006 15:19, edited 2 times in total.