alldays lower sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leaf

Post by leaf »

hello greg

oh dear!

you are out to upset folk arent you?

i know its just banter,but it is getting a bit spiteful now,thing is despite what you say,i bet in person you wouldnt say boo to a goose.

oh and remember when you're in the lofty heights of sydenham hill,make a point of becoming aquainted with your close neighbours on sydenham hill estate,its not all £1,000,000 houses up there you know!

leaf :wink:
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Greg

WHAT!?!

Er... I was actually joking, and I certainly don't have an issue with you. In fact I thought you were one of the nice people who was (were?) going to come and help with the cleaning up of the neighbourhood (another thread) how you were going to do that without mixing with people like me I don't know, anyway I hope you still are. You are obviously having a bad day so I will leave it at that.
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

as Daily Mail readers
Now I am really offended!!
Is that a threat GLOBAL THINKER? - I'm sure you'd like to be at the head of the cue. If you ever muster the courage to back up your suggestions rather than cower at the back as always in your life - I'm on the 6.25 Mon-Fri. Look out for me and I can ridicule you in person.
I'll be the one wearing boxing gloves and a mouth guard, waving a copy of the Daily Mail :lol: :lol:

Oh hang on, my delivery of anaglypta has just arrived :P can we make it tomorrow?
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

What's with the 'we' Greg, as in 'when 'we' buy you out'.

Please, for God's sake, don't tell me there is more people like you.

You're about 20 years too late mate, with your views and opinions.

Everything about you is a bit strange, from your views on Sydenham and surrounding areas, to your views on the jobs that people have. I have met secretaries who are far more intelligent than the people they work for.

Please enlighten me as to what your job is, and how 'important' you are, can't wait to find out.

I've never met you, but I really don't like you.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

To GLOBAL THINKER and Julwz.

Profuse, huge apologies for my short-sighted, rude and unacceptable views in my post. Please view my most recent post to this where I ask for forgiveness.

It's not a problem if you won't reconsider but I like to think I'm not as bad as I come across. Julwz - I would very much like to help with the clean-up...perhaps you could save the foulest part for me, if indeed you would tolerate me helping out. GLOBAL THINKER - again I was completely out of order.

As per my previous post I am actually rather fond of Sydenham, (N,S,E&W, Upper, Lower, Hill, yadeeyadeeya) Anyway, I may not be around much on the forum from here on in (you may be glad to hear). I am a member of the LTA club, though, so if anyone wants to smash some balls my way and call me a %^&*$

Apologies to Julwz and GLOBAL THINKER in particular for suffering my views - sorry to all others I've over-reacted to and been a chinless wonder with.
Last edited by Greg Whitehead on 14 Sep 2006 18:20, edited 3 times in total.
JAKES ANGEL

Post by JAKES ANGEL »

Greg, I was actually being ironic when I said Sydenham is just as nice as that part of Brockley, I should have made that clearer in my post. I live in Lawrie Park Road in one of those Victorian properties and would agree with you that Sydenham, in my opinion, is a nicer place to live than Brockley, and in many parts even better than the two roads in the conservation area. However, when comparing Sydenham, Brockley, and Honor Oak in terms of nightlife, bars, restaurants etc would you not agree that Sydenham falls way behind. I'm not suggesting these bars are the greatest places in london by any stretch of the imagination just merely that Sydenham doesnt really have that much to offer in that department and it would be nice if a decent bar or something similar opened.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Very true JAKES ANGEL. I am nothing but envious of the bars that Brockley and HOP have, I don't mind admitting it.

Not sure if you've read through the post but it was confirmed to me last night when I was in the Dartmouth Arms that the owners of the DA have bought the Dolphin in Sydenham with the aim of turning it into a gastropub. This, I feel, is very good news indeed.
Last edited by Greg Whitehead on 14 Sep 2006 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
JAKES ANGEL

Post by JAKES ANGEL »

That is excellent news. The dolphin is not a bad pub at present, its pretty good from afar, but far from good (blatent plagiarism from some innocuous movie) but I would happily support any venture by the people that brought us the Dartford Arms. I think the greyhound would make an equally good venue because despite several attempts at resurrection all have failed. I just dont think a lick of paint and a bouncer will turn the place around. The Dartmouth Arms in its previous life was not a great pub although it was, in every sense of the word a pub which I feel still should have its place in society was not the sort of place you would want to venture on a night out with the girlfriend or friends but that has all changed for the better so lets see what they can do to improve Sydenham. Good luck I say and lets have some more of the same.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I wonder what they're doing with what was the old Hexagon housing association building next door to the Dolphin. I believe the top 2 floors are rental flats, perhaps the bottom half will be Pizza Express !! Maybe a mini-Waitrose ? There's no stopping us now !! :lol:

Seriously though, the news on the Dolphin really has made my month (and yes i should get out more).
JAKES ANGEL

Post by JAKES ANGEL »

Well with all the potentionally new places to go in the near future im sure we will all get out more which is no bad thing. Any idea of the time structure regarding the Dolphin takeover. I presume the Dolphins current clientele will then take a stroll over to the Golden Lion and moan about how things are changing round here.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

You know JAKES ANGEL, in all my excitement I forgot to ask the very basic questions. Sorry. I'll fill in the blanks next time I'm there.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Greg

All I was saying was that I didnt like your view on things; I cant really dislike you, as we have never met.

The only other person I have found to rub me up the wrong way, was Knighton, and he is no longer on here.

That aside, I do enjoy reading all contributions to STF, and it would be a much duller place without you.

I do not seek any confrontation, life is too short etc etc.

When the Dolphin is up and running, I will gladly stand you a pint. In the meantime, we should all continue our friendly 'banter'.

After all, without friction, nothing moves.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Greg,

Glad to see everything's okay now! I am also sorry about my 'humorous' comments. Of course you're still welcome to the clean-up, not that I have any say about who attends! I am still awaiting a call from Julie Sutch about when its happening.

Back to the subject in hand – that's great news about the Dolphin – I can't wait!!
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

fishcox wrote:Greg

All I was saying was that I didnt like your view on things; I cant really dislike you, as we have never met.

The only other person I have found to rub me up the wrong way, was Knighton, and he is no longer on here.

That aside, I do enjoy reading all contributions to STF, and it would be a much duller place without you.

I do not seek any confrontation, life is too short etc etc.

When the Dolphin is up and running, I will gladly stand you a pint. In the meantime, we should all continue our friendly 'banter'.

After all, without friction, nothing moves.
You would have valid reason to feel as such based on some of the posts. Truth be told I may have gone the extra mile to court controversy on occasion. I'm going to ammend a recent where once more I was little bit - well I'll ammend the post.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Yes it is great news about the Dolphin.

The site previously owned by Hexagon is now owned by Robert Smith of SG Smith. He is converting the top two storeys into flats - the ground floor will be a showroom (possibly kitchens/bathrooms). Not a restaurant but a good addition to the high street, nevertheless.

Further up the high street at the site previously owned by Nickells Blinds we expect an imminent application to rebuild the block (including the glass-fronted) pound shop into flats above and a large restaurant on the ground floor.

Higher up the road, just down from the bookshop are two "huts" at the top side of the bridge (previously a hairdresser and a dry cleaners?). Permission has ben granted here for a very exciting 20s style block with flats above and retail below. The owner of the site has spent a great deal of money buying out the existing site owners, so we should surely see some progress soon.

The first stage (consultation) on a huge TFL grant to the high street (maybe as much as £2m) to renew pavements, create open spaces etc is just beginning.

I think we'll see the high street change very rapidly in the next two years.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Wow ! That's all I have to add.

You know, I often scan above the shops and think what a beautiful high-street we have in terms of the architecture (the odd building aside). This investment is really exciting and long overdue.
syd

progress

Post by syd »

well the (garish) sign has gone up there will be an on site bakery fresh fruit, veg fish and meat and if it also opens late I'll be laughing.

I hope they tart up the car park too :D
syd

progress

Post by syd »

well the (garish) sign has gone up there will be an on site bakery fresh fruit, veg fish and meat and if it also opens late I'll be laughing.

I hope they tart up the car park too :D
Annie

Post by Annie »

:lol:
Hiya Syd,
Where has the "Garish "sign gone up? i must have missed something or are you talking about The Dolphin? :)
syd

Post by syd »

Annie wrote::lol:
Hiya Syd,
Where has the "Garish "sign gone up? i must have missed something or are you talking about The Dolphin? :)
hi annie

I was referring to the medeterrain food centre at the junction of sydenham rd and kent house road. but this thread got hijacked by the dolphin groupies!

:D