KIcking off in Lewisham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
paultreacy

Re: Post all the news of the Riots here (To make it easy)

Post by paultreacy »

I wonder if Sydenham's having been spared the worst of it is because we don't have the high value shops here with the hd tvs and expensive trainers and the like. Or is it simply a matter of time?

Be careful.
Powell

Post by Powell »

Is it true that the betting shop on Kirkdale has been smashed???
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I agree wholeheartedly with your post Paul.
sophie

Post by sophie »

Have heard that Primark in Bromley wasn't looted. It's hard to know what is/isn't true.

Re youth clubs etc and frequent comments I've heard about kids having nothing to do. I don't think this is really the cause. There is plenty to do but many kids don't have the inclination to find constructive things to do and the ability to entertain themselves and seem to require endless activities and stimulation. Not everything costs money.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

Thanks leenewham.

Sophie, I think you're right. But schooling and parents in many cases are not providing much guidance for youngsters to seek out such activities or indeed to help develop the skills and confidence to do so.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

I think it would be interesting to know how many of these kids have hands-on, engaged and interested Dads? In fact, how many of the MOTHER'S of these teenagers had Dads who positively engaged with them as they grew up?
I think its time to stop thinking its OK for teenage girls to get pregnant, it is NOT ok if you don't have a clue how to be a parent; and quite frankly you don't as a teen. Boys NEED FATHERS. Girls too.
I am so in awe of people who give up their free time to mentor these young kids, they really really need someone to guide them, to take an interest. Good on you.
What we're seeing now is a result of young lads who don't know how to 'be', who to be, because no one has shown them what self-respect is, what discipline is. Its time to stop cooing over babies with 15yr old mums and educate and empower teens to take responsibility for their own lives, to use contraception, to be healthy. Teach them respect by respecting them, and showing them the way with firm discipline. That's what good families do. And lots of these kids have no idea what that is.
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm with Paul on this one. And thanks Dorian for that Vid - saw it last night and was looking to post it here. Oh that there weren't a million more of her ... for the most elequent speech of the night.

We all crave excitement. Last night was the most exciting night in their young deprived lives. Couple that with an society's increasing disregard for the consequences of our actions and it is a recipe for disaster.

Its hard to make bad or suggestible people good and assertive. It is easier to allow them to have their 'excitement' in less damaging environments. Shoot me down if you wish but I see parallels with the irresponsible behaviour of some in the financial world who put themselves and their greed before the interests of a working and productive society. Except they end up with more than a telly and a pair of Nikes but do even more damage to everybody but themselves.

I'm with Rachel in that we need to seize our High Street (see other thread). And not forget the importance of youth provision over the hot summers on the next funding round.

Aside - just been reading about mayhem in Chislehurst - CHISLEHURST!

Admin
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Unfortunately Kids don't want do use facilities like this in Home Park as they burnt it down:

If anyone saw anything, please contact the police. If you know who did it, don't let them get away with it, don't let them think that this is acceptable, that this is a laugh, that this is fun. It isn't.
Donny

Post by Donny »

In the early hours we witnessed a vigilante mob, armed with batons/lumps of wood go toe to toe with the scrotes that were looting costcutters time and time again. The scrotes returned in numbers and started to kick down doors, throwing rocks and bottles at windows looking for them. It was terrifying and when we saw a police car buzz the high street we abandoned the flat, made a run for the car and spent the night at the in-laws.

Whilst I admire their spirit, looking at one of the front doors this morning they made things a whole lot worse.

On a positive note our resident street drinkers appeared to be protecting costcutters when it kicked off!
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

Very sad to see they've burnt the adventure climbing frame in Home Park. What a terrible waste.
westwood girl

Post by westwood girl »

reports on twitter that shops shutting up sydenham and catford. just phoned co-op..they are closing. people saying youths heading to sydenham, catford and lewisham again. apparently bell green sainsburys stripping electrical goods from shelves expecting more looting again today/tonight.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I was in Bromley today - Primark definitely wasn't looted. Argos had a broken window. Didn't see any other damage and people were carrying on as normal. Rumour that the Sainsburys at Bell Green was on fire were also untrue. Don't feed the rumour mill, people.

tizzyness

Post by tizzyness »

I'm working in the City and hearing all sorts of (unsubstantiated) rumours about CP, Sydenham & Penge. If anyone does have any genuine information, please do post it so we can find out what is really happening.
Thank you.
Rick Channing

Post by Rick Channing »

Just to reiterate what I've just seen a spokeswoman say on the news.

Parents/guardians of Sydenham: If any of your children or children under your care return home with goods valued beyond their means to purchase, it's time to ask them some tough questions. Seriously, it's your duty as parents not to ignore criminal behaviour perpetrated by your offspring. Perhaps this small step will initiate the leap we need to curb what seems to be a growing complacency to antisocial behaviour amongst our 'youths'.
westwood girl

Post by westwood girl »

rshdunlop wrote:I was in Bromley today - Primark definitely wasn't looted. Argos had a broken window. Didn't see any other damage and people were carrying on as normal. Rumour that the Sainsburys at Bell Green was on fire were also untrue. Don't feed the rumour mill, people.

i wasnt intending on spreading rumours and spreading fear. im a single mother of a 9 week old baby and i would like to be prepared if there is going to be more trouble.. yes a lot of reports are untrue/fabricated but thought we were on here to keep a look out for each other
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I was in Sydenham high street a couple of hours ago. All was peaceful, pretty much every shop was open, the place was busy. No sign of any break-in at the Co-operative, infact no real visible signs of anything.

I was in Home Park this morning too, aside from the Adventure playground there were quite a few people in there with some p*ssed off parents and kids angry at what some other kids had done to the adventure playground. All was peaceful there too.

Infact everyone was talking to one another and it was friendlier than normal. We all had something to talk about.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

My comments weren't directed at you, Westwood girl. You actually posted at the same time as me, I didn't see your comments. Of course people should post the information they think is important, but make sure it is substantiated too.

I was on the High Street about 45 minutes ago. All normal, as Lee said.

sophie

Post by sophie »

I just called the 101 police number to see if they were advising closures for Sydenham. The operator I spoke to said at this stage it is up to each organisation to make the decision following their own risk assessment of the situation. As the events are sporadic and random they don't know for sure where/when things will kick off. They said if people want to check back again in an hour or so for updates that is fine.

Thought this might be useful info for high street users and traders.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

My sons and I were evacuated out of Co-op a little while ago. The high street is locking down. The hardware store just mounted thick boards under their metal shutters. We're home safe now. My wife's department at King's has just been evacuated and so hopefully she'll be home with us soon if the 176 remains in service. Camberwell has been locked down by police for a while now.