KIcking off in Lewisham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Annie

KIcking off in Lewisham

Post by Annie »

Be careful in Lewisham, apparently the idiots have kicked off there
simon

Re: KIcking off in Lewisham

Post by simon »

Sainsburys in Bell Green has closed early tonight "as a precaution".
Annie

Re: KIcking off in Lewisham

Post by Annie »

OH? they won't like that,losing profit!
mrtimelover

Post all the news of the Riots here (To make it easy)

Post by mrtimelover »

I assume theres going to be a lot of topics on the riots soon, so I set this up to make it easier for people.

It would help if all news is posted here.

Latest news I heard was that Sainsbury's in Bell Green is soon to be a target of looters.
simon

Re: Post all the news of the Riots here (To make it easy)

Post by simon »

Was closed "as a precuation" at 7.30.
News Shopper reports here http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/91841 ... _Lewisham/
Wing

Post by Wing »

Listened to LBC and understand Croydon Shopping Centre is now on high alert. London Rd in Croydon is now closed.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Last edited by kingfisher on 7 Sep 2011 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Apologies for absence. Was rescuing my partner from the Walworth Road. Looting going on. Buses diverted and refusing to pick up.

Hoodies face covered were everywhere and converging on trouble. Realy, really disturbing.

Croydon looks to be worst hit tonight with multiple large fires. Seems that deliberate arson is the latest tactic. All so, so stupid.

Get home, stay home and make sure your kids are away from trouble. Nowt else you can do.

Admin
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

admin wrote:Apologies for absence. Was rescuing my partner from the Walworth Road. Looting going on. Buses diverted and refusing to pick up.

Hoodies face covered were everywhere and converging on trouble. Realy, really disturbing.

Croydon looks to be worst hit tonight with multiple large fires. Seems that deliberate arson is the latest tactic. All so, so stupid.

Get home, stay home and make sure your kids are away from trouble. Nowt else you can do.

Admin
It's insane.

Time to sort this weird shit out, destroyin their own communities asnd destroying peoples livliehoods it's effin mental.
fivedaysandcounting

Post by fivedaysandcounting »

Just seen about 10 youths walk down the high street and then turn left into Queensthorpe Road, with their hoods up. All the shops are closed. Such a weird tension outside.
Rick Channing

Post by Rick Channing »

I've so utterly incensed at this seemingly unchecked thuggery that I felt compelled to break cover and comment!

The previous (Labour) government created a society of entitlement. These riots are not a result of social imbalance but simply a taking of advantage against a police force with its boots cemented in the foundations of political correctness. As one born in an age when common sense ruled the day, I really have to wonder what future generations will make of all this. Common sense meant something when I was growing up in the fifties. It means nothing today.

Anyone familiar with current police proceedure will know that most are fully signed-up supporters of the doctrine that the police should use force only as a last resort. As one of the famous “nine principles of policing”, published in 1829 at the very founding of the Metropolitan Police, puts it, the police should “use physical force only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient… and to use only the minimum degree of physical force which is necessary on any particular occasion”. This was the policy of the Met during the recent protests against student fees. It had worked well enough a few days earlier when the trade unions held a march against the cuts, but the student protests turned violent. Reluctance to use force is right and we should be reluctant to reproach the police for it. However, a second attitude was at work in Tottenham. Since the Macpherson report of 1999 the police have been hyper-sensitive about race. This attitude has now become so paradoxical that they find themselves standing aside when members of ethnic minorities are being harmed. The people who ran shops, or who lived in the flats above, were not given the protection they deserved.

In this kind of atmosphere, it’s not surprising that officers in charge of subduing a riot think it safer to wait for orders from the top rather than use their discretion to protect the public without fear or favour.
Last edited by Rick Channing on 8 Aug 2011 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

Im nearby - live on the high street - will keep an eye out - not a good time to live in a flat above a shop on a high street!!!
Rick Channing

Post by Rick Channing »

This adds a new, more sinister dimension to what's unfolding across London:

mrtimelover

Post by mrtimelover »

Here are some links for people to stay up to date.

BBC News Channel - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10318089
Londons Biggest Conversation (LBC) - http://www.lbc.co.uk/ - Click Listen live to listen to teh radio station.
CaptainCarCrash

My friends and family are in Croydon, I've tried to contact some friends who work in the old fox and hounds but can't get through. I'm praying they're all ok. My friend Alan who is the head bar man at the fox gave quite a long interview on bbc news, he seemed very distreased, poor bloke, they ramsacked th pub and nicked the optics etc but they managed to contain them.
CaptainCarCrash

Rick Channing wrote:This adds a new, more sinister dimension to what's unfolding across London:

All good until a state of emergency is declared and the army who are stretched as it is are deployed.

I'm pleased to see that Disco Dave is returning from holiday but god knows what they are going to do.

*Whispers, State of emergency*
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In this kind of atmosphere, it’s not surprising that officers in charge of subduing a riot think it safer to wait for orders from the top rather than use their discretion to protect the public without fear or favour.
With greatest respect tonight is not the best night to have a pop at the police. Too many hoodlums are doing that right now.

There's a lot wrong with the police (and the government) but tonight they all we have between anarchy and us. And many of putting themselves in harms way for us for the third night running. So a thank you from me.

The responsibility for arson is with the arsonist.

Admin (sorry to be showing bias)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bromley Corporation Street is a mess. Primark has been raided.

Admin
RedRevolver

Post by RedRevolver »

Rick Channing wrote:This adds a new, more sinister dimension to what's unfolding across London:

These aren't made for these riots. This is information given out to a lot of protesters, and have existed for a while. They're getting handed around for people caught up, and I'm pretty sure those who made them are not condoning burning down people's homes.