People power

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Rachael

People power

Post by Rachael »

I hope everyone is going to be out on the high street today and this evening, using the shops, cafes and restaurants. An empty high street is an invitation to opportunistic criminals.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Last edited by Rachael on 9 Aug 2011 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Lund

Re: People power

Post by Tim Lund »

I will be - although I'd probably prefer to be trying out the new Italian than a meeting at the library :D
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Totally agree with RSH. The High Street looks busy and normal. Use it, talk to the shop owners, talk to people shopping, give business owners your support and make them feel everything wil be ok, raise confidence, go meet friends for a tea of coffee in a local cafe or restaurant.

High streets are for people. They are certainly not a place to fear.
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Unfortunately, you now won't have the chance.

I drove down Sydenham High Street at 3 o'clock and it was shut.

Payless on the bridge was open (although the shutters were down) and Billings and Costcutters were trading, but everywhere else had gone home for the day, including the bookies, banks and even Sainsburys at Bell Green.

Similar story up Kirkdale, where Tescos were shut, as was Costcutter (who I have never known to be closed, even when they had no electricity for three days).
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

I was there at 4.15 and it was fine, very busy. You make it sound like the road is closed and everyone has deserted the place, there were still shops open including pfc and hajis. And lots of people out and about.
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

There were certainly lots of people and plenty of traffic, but are you saying you didn't notice that the vast majority of shops were closed?
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

All the banks were closed and the co=op but that might have been to let people who might have to travel through, or to - places where there might be trouble get home. We were told at work we could go early for that very reason; for people who might have to drive or go through Croydon or places where it might kick-off. It wasn't because our high street might be dangerous. I didn't leave early because I live 20mins walk from work and didn't have to pass through any percieved 'hot spots'.
The high street was a perfectly safe place to be at 4.15 and then again 10mins ago when my husband came in from work. I am presuming it still is. So all those shops which closed didn't have to close did they? Except, as I've said, to let people get home early.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I was all set to take my son to his swimming lesson at the Bridge tonight, but it's been cancelled as the instructor has gone home. Fair enough, I don't know where she needs to get to, but really, I'm trying my best here to Keep Calm and Carry On, but am being thwarted at every turn.
140Interiors

Post by 140Interiors »

Fed up with the police having their hands tied behind their back. Charge in,crack a few heads,arrest them all. The courts should give them a simple choice.6 years in prison or 3 years in the army. I did close yesterday afternoon, the scare went up and we find ourselves in a situation where insurance companies wont pay out, and how long before you could re open. Was far better sunbathing. Have a nice day.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I went to get a sandwich from Kente at about 4pm, and yes there were lots of shops closed (else I'd have gone to Subway), but there were still people around, and Billings was open, but several places did look like they were getting into a position where they could close at a moments notice if necessary, while still remaining open. We were told to leave work at 1pm (London Borough of Hackney) in case it kicked off again. Fortunately it didn't.

If it does get bad in Sydenham, though I don't see why it would, lets all rally round to help clear up!
mosy

Post by mosy »

OK tonight around 7-ish pm in Syd Road. I often shop at 6.30pm+ and was glad to see trading as usual in a lot of shops that I'd expect to be open at that time and naturally supported them (as I do anyway). I didn't stop to chat as would be bunging up the queue, and hopefully it is now "after the event", fingers crossed.

It is horrendous about not being covered by insurance. If I recall correctly, it's a valid exclusion because it's in the small print of all insurance docs (cars, buildings etc) which was introduced around the time of the troubles in Northern Ireland, but who'da thunk it would be relevant now, here? There are calls for a compensation scheme to be set going for such cases (per some LBC local radio talks). Perhaps if anyone hears news of such a scheme becoming operative they could start a new thread? Undoubtedly, insurance premiums will go up and it's a double whammy if they didn't pay out some claims yet hike the price even so.
leaf

Riot damages act 1886

Post by leaf »

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vic ... 8/contents

You have 14 days to put in a claim to your local police, this has been amended to 42 days in light of recent events
mosy

Post by mosy »

Leaf, any chance of requesting Admin to put up your last post as a separate sticky under a compensation for riot damage heading?

---

Could possibly also mention CICA, Criminal injuries compensation authority.
leaf

Post by leaf »

Mosy, il PM Admin and ask.