My take on London's Riots

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
hairybuddha

Re: My take on London's Riots

Post by hairybuddha »

So what do you expect Nick Clegg to say (I assume that's who you are reffering to here) when asked, as he will inevitably be, about the case?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

To say , I am not aware of the facts and leave it to the legal system.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Eagle, the man is the Deputy Prime Minister. When a citizen has been shot dead by the police on the streets, he can't get away with just saying "That's a matter for the police", or "I don't know the facts". It is his job to get the facts and put forward his position. Surely, extending some sympathy to the family of the deceased is the wise, statesman like thing to do?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Would you extend sympathy to the family of Jimmy Saville and in his case only alleged.

How about the killer of Dunblane etc etc etc.

I guess we beg to differ HB and that is what democracy is meant to be all about.

Surely his family knew what sort of person he was.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Wow, again with Saville. What skeletons lurk in your closet Eagle?

But, I'll answer your question (and then perhaps you'll do me the same courtesy) yes of course I have sympathy with the family of Saville and the family of Hamilton. Unless you have some evidence that they were complicit?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Now now HB.

Too be honest you may have a point , although I personally find this crawling trying not to offend a bit much to take.

I am not suggesting that the relatives were complicit with the evil doings , although I suspect they were aware of his operations.

Guess we have run this to the end.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

HB
What I would expect Clegg to say is probably what I would say - a bland " the death of a young man is always to be regretted etcetera " but without any strong feeling or sentiment .
I know there is a section of the population that wake up hoping to outraged by grown-up society , with its conspiracies , bad things happening , and causality eg people who use guns getting shot more often than others .
I think that kind of conjecture is fine as a break from whatever computer games they play but it is dangerous to try and act it out in the real world .
That is why I am so aghast at Diane Abbot and a host of others who cast suspicion and hint at "executions" , for even more stupid people to get excited about .
I note you have got quite agitated during this post - like many you are not separating the facts from the feelings
Good evening
Nigel
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Nigel - I took issue with Eagle's post not yours. I mostly agree with what you have said. Though I'm disappointed that you feel the need to again play the man and not the ball by suggesting that those who might get a little more exercised about something like this are stupid, immature conspiracy theorists living in a fantasy world. There is a vast spectrum of opinion between your position and the position of those that you characterise in this way.
Nigel wrote:I note you have got quite agitated during this post - like many you are not separating the facts from the feelings
You misinterpreted my post. In fact I have been one of the few in this discussion over the last few days to have made reference to the facts and avoided the more emotive aspects.
sfhyouthforum

Post by sfhyouthforum »

Well it's nice to see my OP resurrected, but unfortunately, as was the case last time, everyone has an opinion and nobody wants to action.

I called a community meeting back then and two people turned up.

I asked you all to donate so we can target youth provision, which has been systematically cut each year since, and only a handful stepped up.

If Diane Abbott is responsible for the riots, then we all are.

And the Sun newspaper, I might add, which misreported the news that he was shot twice in the face (later reported as untrue by more serious papers) made its readership extremely angry. As if that wasn't a bit of social engineering if every I saw one.

But you continue to debate these things until the cows come home. Meanwhile I've just finished an entrepreneur's project with 14 teenagers, three of which are being funded to pursue their own business ideas, all funded by community donations and the fact I came off payroll at the beginning of last year and now volunteer for www.sfhyouthforum.org.uk.

I wish that was me being smug about how good I am, just so you know, I wasn't. I'm 31, renting a damp flat, and about to jump ship to Germany to live with my future in-laws in order to afford babies. I can't say I am not deeply disappointed in the lack of real community engagement the sheer traffic of Sydenham Town Forum could achieve if only adults stopped tapping their keyboards between wagging fingers at each other and actually pulled our own sleeves up.

You could start by stepping in to take over the charity. Now that could be something life changing for everyone.
sfhyouthforum

Post by sfhyouthforum »

That's what you take from it. That I'm holier than thou? But aren't you bored of the same ruts this forum gets into? It's like an Eastenders episode over and over and over.

And like I said before, I've tried every single mood-based approach, happy, solemn, sad, sincere: I'm multiple personalities but really the truth is, most adults don't care enough about teenagers that aren't their own. And unless there is more compassion for young people, nothing will change. You can point the finger at me and my style but I really doubt that is the barrier. I also am moving on, so now's your chance to get involved without me as a barrier.

And apologies for not contacting you back via email Rod. I've searched my gmail and you initially wrote to me 9th May, I replied on the 10th May asking when to meet up, you replied on the 14th to say sorry for late reply, you were not well and I replied the same day, then you mentioned being quite busy but willing, so I contacted schools on your behalf as your offer was English classes but they never got back to me. You then wrote in June to say sorry for not making the meeting, which I thank you for. That was it.

The key to all this is action. Action.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

sfhyouthforum wrote:That's what you take from it. That I'm holier than thou? But aren't you bored of the same ruts this forum gets into? It's like an Eastenders episode over and over and over.

And apologies for not contacting you back via email Rod. I've searched my gmail and you initially wrote to me 9th May, I replied on the 10th May asking when to meet up, you replied on the 14th to say sorry for late reply, you were not well and I replied the same day, then you mentioned being quite busy but willing, so I contacted schools on your behalf as your offer was English classes but they never got back to me. You then wrote in June to say sorry for not making the meeting, which I thank you for. That was it.

The key to all this is action. Action.
Hard to say whether it's possible to be holier than Rod Taylor
Unlike the C of E, much of eastern thought has it that we are not complete and live well below our legitimate level, that humans are inferior to animals precisely because we are capable of change - improvement. This started to feel a better angle from which to approach life.
but it might still be possible to find someone better able to help kids express themselves more clearly in English.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Now , now , gentlemen . Take a leaf out of my book. Tolerance of other people is my motto.

Not sure what any of this has to do with the low life that looted in the so called riots.